No Man's Sky

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there anyone that has played enough to judge whether it is worth half off now? I would buy and return it but I have a feeling it would take more than 2 hours to figure it out.
Formula hasn't changed much but it seems alright from what I've watched on streams. It's still your basic gather shit to upgrade shit so you can gather shit faster so you can upgrade shit further loop. But a lot of the stuff looks less annoying, including movement(I remember at launch it looked so fucking frustrating with the shitty running) and there's more to do, base building, vehicles, whatever. I'll probably grab the game but on a deeper sale, current one is opportunity sale but it isn't near the lowest price. It was 60% off during the Steam sale for example and since the base price is still full price, a 10% difference is a fair amount.

As far as I can tell from people's opinion though, in this genre, Subnautica is better and I haven't played that yet(and it's cheaper).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Formula hasn't changed much but it seems alright from what I've watched on streams. It's still your basic gather shit to upgrade shit so you can gather shit faster so you can upgrade shit further loop. But a lot of the stuff looks less annoying, including movement(I remember at launch it looked so fucking frustrating with the shitty running) and there's more to do, base building, vehicles, whatever. I'll probably grab the game but on a deeper sale, current one is opportunity sale but it isn't near the lowest price. It was 60% off during the Steam sale for example and since the base price is still full price, a 10% difference is a fair amount.

As far as I can tell from people's opinion though, in this genre, Subnautica is better and I haven't played that yet(and it's cheaper).

I haven't plaied NMS to compare them, but Subnautica is actually quite short and most of the challenge/time spent is centered in having no clue where to go to get intermediate crafting materials on your first playthrough.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I haven't plaied NMS to compare them, but Subnautica is actually quite short and most of the challenge/time spent is centered in having no clue where to go to get intermediate crafting materials on your first playthrough.

So this is why I am unsure. I dislike most crafting-survival games but I really enjoyed sub-nautica. The environment, art style, building system, and vehicles for me made up for its lack of death and I actually appreciated that the game had a beginning, middle, and end. I don't need games to go on forever, I got my money's worth at 35 hours.

The updated NMS seems like it could be like sub-nautica, but it could also be like the ones I don't like with boring uninteresting environments, lack of interesting game mechanics, and awful environments. Honestly, it isn't that pricey and I could just buy it, but I hate supporting developers that make crappy games.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So this is why I am unsure. I dislike most crafting-survival games but I really enjoyed sub-nautica.

I was one who tried to get a refund back on PS4 and was denied back in the day after the underwhelming launch and I can honestly say that I'm glad I didn't. If it's 50% off, it is definitely worth it and you can easily getting at least 10-20 hours (probably closer to 20-30 if you never played before) if you only do the story and some of the side missions. I personally don't like survival games, but I do like space/exploration games and this definitely scratches that itch.

Don't think I need to spoiler this, but holy shit, you can get your capital ship pretty damn early in the game which I think is a good thing as now I have a flying fortress I can now go from system to system as I really don't get much pleasure out of base building. Also, last night I got a notification that Soandso entered the system and the next thing I know, he flies onto my freighter and starts to run around. Was pretty surreal actually seeing someone...

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I restarted (had a dozen hours into the pre-Foundation game), but no 21:9 support still is a bummer, will give it a go when my group is done w/ Conan Exiles.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
i re-downloaded last night and there are a lot of changes from when it first came out. Only got an hour in, but actually looking forward to continuing the play through.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Time to get my space pants on.

giphy (6).gif

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Played for 15 minutes. Couldn't find shit to repair my ship. I have the determination of a ground hog. Playing battlefield 4 now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
You are such a complete and total fucking pussAAAAAAAH OH GOD WHAT IS THAT THING WHY IS IT EATING MY ENTIRE SUB HAAAAALP

I know it is sad...I got near the end before they patched a way to cure yourself so I basically saw everything the game has to offer but the jump scares at night when tired freak me out.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know it is sad...I got near the end before they patched a way to cure yourself so I basically saw everything the game has to offer but the jump scares at night when tired freak me out.

The last thing I did before uninstalling was build a base right on the very edge of the map, with a single long passage extending out about two kilometers past the crater's edge into the dead zone. You think the jump scares you got are bad, try doing base construction while dodging THREE adult ghost leviathans.

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Subnautica really benefited from its setting, it was a great idea. At one point we working on a space ship game and ended up using that to make a prototype of what was effectively a space-ship game but set underwater.

It was way better but the publisher didn't like the concept and we could never get funding for it.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Subnautica really benefited from its setting, it was a great idea. At one point we working on a space ship game and ended up using that to make a prototype of what was effectively a space-ship game but set underwater.

It was way better but the publisher didn't like the concept and we could never get funding for it.

And then there was Soma and hopefully that publisher ate crow.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
And then there was Soma and hopefully that publisher ate crow.

In fairness that game wasn't anything particularly special, it was just notable that when you take the same game and stick it underwater instead of in space it becomes a much more interesting and dynamic game because of the level design.

They (maybe correctly) didn't think a "not space" game would sell.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
In fairness that game wasn't anything particularly special, it was just notable that when you take the same game and stick it underwater instead of in space it becomes a much more interesting and dynamic game because of the level design.

They (maybe correctly) didn't think a "not space" game would sell.

Well, they turned a profit and it was an epic game. Frictional puts more heart and soul into their games than most anyone else out there as far as I am concerned, and do not need a AAA budget to do it. Publishers are like TV Executives. Throwing darts at a board and thinking they know any better than their consumer market when they are completely out of touch with their consumers to begin with.

As far as NMS, I like the changes but in the end, it still seems pretty soulless.

Last edited:
  • 1Like