No Man's Sky

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Now the question is, is it worth it.

I am proud of you brave souls buying this game after the initial backlash. If its good, expect to see me flying by. I really really hope that this update brings the game to its advertised state.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
I am proud of you brave souls buying this game after the initial backlash. If its good, expect to see me flying by. I really really hope that this update brings the game to its advertised state.
I bought it and have made acceptable progress the past few hours. Still hung up on finding fuel for the portable stuff so I can make advanced shit. Either I've not found it yet or I am overlooking something. I like crafty exploring games though so I suspect in time I will more than get my $24 worth.No lag, no crashes so far and that is a plus!

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ha it still has ny save game from launch, I really should just start a new game I imagine.

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I'm so lost. Seems like everything has been reworked. Everything in my inventory has changed. I wonder if I should just start over fresh? Also patch notes...NEXT Update - No Man's Sky

Edit: Mind you, I picked up my save file from vanilla which I haven't played in 2 years.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah start over. There is so much new stuff and it guides you through a tutorial. Basic building, refining, how to use the new Terraforming mine, missions, factions, you name it. Tons of new content to learn especially if you haven’t played in a long time.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How is a fucking video game, in this day and age, out of stock? Am I taking crazy pills here?

'WTF' aside, do they only get so many copies to sell? If I was selling a video game, you'd better believe I'm not going to set some arbitrary limit on an electronic product.

Go ahead and sell copy # 10,001, FFS

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Haha no doubt. Digital games. Out of stock. 😜

(Soon to be magically in stock tomorrow at 49.97)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Sites like GMG only bulk purchased so many licenses to sell. Just playing Devils Advocate here. GMG does offer copies typically at what I would feel is "cost", which is why they're quite likely to sell your information. I'm sure they're happy to sell their remaining licenses at $25, that they likely purchased at $30, just to negate loss. Steam on the other hand, likely has an open license deal where they get a cut of each copy sold, thus have a virtually unlimited supply of licenses. Software sales are a bane of existence, and I'm glad I never got into that garbage fire.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So much more to do! Feels like a game now, not sure yet if you should buy it. Will require more time played, enjoying the tutorial for whatever that is worth. Playing on survival settings, maintaining hazard shield is a PITA.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How is a fucking video game, in this day and age, out of stock? Am I taking crazy pills here?

'WTF' aside, do they only get so many copies to sell? If I was selling a video game, you'd better believe I'm not going to set some arbitrary limit on an electronic product.

Go ahead and sell copy # 10,001, FFS
They're not totally legit keys so they only have a limited number of them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They are not an authorized reseller for all games they carry in inventory.
They were blacklisted for a while from reddit and IsThereAnyDeals but now they're back, they have partnerships with most/all of what they sell, which is also why they don't sell everything.

That said even when partnered I think you can still run out of keys because they only give so many keys to sell to people in general instead of an infinite supply, to control the potential leaks and reselling of keys.

They also probably didn't expect needing keys for a several years old game like this, this generated quite a lot of hype again for a game that got crucified for being overhyped, it was top seller on Steam and had like 50k+ viewer on Twitch(granted a lot were Lyrik viewers).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh also double posting so it's more visible, in case you do want to play the new multiplayer shit, don't buy the GOG version. They don't have it as a feature and while they said it's "coming later this year", the last patch's feature is still not in either. The game makes use of the Steam API for its multiplayer shit so they have to write a bunch of additional shit to make it work on the GOG DRM-free version, which they might or might not bother doing. If you don't give a fuck about the online stuff, then doesn't matter.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Is there anyone that has played enough to judge whether it is worth half off now? I would buy and return it but I have a feeling it would take more than 2 hours to figure it out.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Is there anyone that has played enough to judge whether it is worth half off now? I would buy and return it but I have a feeling it would take more than 2 hours to figure it out.

When the original launched, I would be comfortable telling you that within 2 hours you would have seen most of the game. You would get better multi tools and the likes, but it was always the same. Land on a world, extract resources, go to new and world would respawn making it so you were never there. Your teraforming would be gone, no trace of what you did, no other players, alone in a galaxy with no goal except keep going as a nomad towards the centre. I didn't last past 7 hours, as by that time, all planets started to look a like.

In 2 hours now, the tutorial is a bit different, but still somewhat similar to the launch version in what you do. However, it appears to have a lot more under the hood.

My take on playing it a bit over 2 hours yesterday. Started a new game on survival, which will cause additional time to progress, since you will have to constantly take care of your shields. Backtracking into caves, your ship, or use resources to maintain it. You also get less resources in that mode. I also restarted around 20 times to see if I could spawn without hazards on my first planet, and you can't. On survival you will always start on a hazard planet. Can vary what hazard and to which degree, but you will always start with low shields and them being drained. You then have less than 5 minutes before you die unless you get resources (you respawn with a full shield though).

That said, compared to the original launch, you can see there is more to do as you go. You are introduced to building utilities that weren't there before. Processing materials into other materials. Blueprints are done differently. The navigation and adding locations on the planet are more interesting as well. Having to build a utility that extends your scanning ability, putting it on the ground and inserting various pieces. On the first planet the first travels will also be dangerous in a way due to the hazards. The menu shows me I can build vehicles to do on world travel. There are buildings and freighters. I left the first planet and got hostile scans and was almost attacked by space pirates (not a thing I ever experienced at launch).

There is a lot more to the game now than what it had before.

If you are interested, buy it now at 50% off. Because if the reviews from this "next" version comes out and it is somewhat vindicated from launch (actually having the content it promised), it will probably be a while until a new sale since summer sale is already done.

Tl;dr
2 hours now seems to scratch the surface. 2 hours before would show you nearly all there was.