No Man's Sky

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah by just making a game and a back end to generate "stuff" for it you are not promising a ton.

You will go to planets with random stuff. You can kill the stuff and it may or may not be hostile. There will be stuff to find on the planet that may or may not be awesome. Oh there is something in the center of the universe you might care about it. The End.

They aren't promising insane story or voice acted dialogue or engaging quests in the millions. They are giving us a world and some rules and tools to interact with that world. They then made the world massive.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
What alleviates the repetition in an MMO for me is doing it with people I enjoy spending time with. And my memories are of those people more than the events we were involved in. Flying around by my lonesome will wear on me quickly if the repetition is similar. My hype for this game has always been relatively low, but it's still a cool concept. I hope they succeed and have the time to focus on more player interactions.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That's my problem. I don't enjoy spending time with 99% of the people who play MMOs.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yeah by just making a game and a back end to generate "stuff" for it you are not promising a ton.

You will go to planets with random stuff. You can kill the stuff and it may or may not be hostile. There will be stuff to find on the planet that may or may not be awesome. Oh there is something in the center of the universe you might care about it. The End.

They aren't promising insane story or voice acted dialogue or engaging quests in the millions. They are giving us a world and some rules and tools to interact with that world. They then made the world massive.
I agree that they aren't overhyping it. I'm just concerned that the gameplay might be incredibly shallow and even though they make it sound promising I'm a little worried it might fail to deliver, which is why I mentioned spore. The ideas were there in spore it was just completely shallow. I am kind of looking forward to this game at the moment though and since IGN is doing a month long spotlight we should get to see plenty more.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah the reason I think it isn't Spore is because Spore talked about these awesome mechanics creating amazing things and they ended up being shallow.

These guys are talking about just randomly generating "stuff" and you can shoot it or not, mine it or not, explore or trade. I really feel like they are making it shallow already but in a good way if that makes sense.

I really sound like a shill at this point and I am not 'that' hyped about it. I just hope it's halfways decent because I could see myself just zoning out and playing it for months with no real goal in mind.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The carrot is going to be the shit you can build and the shit you can do with discoveries. Running g around discovering stuff is boring after a while when you re all alone. But discovering shit then building a giant ass ship that's badass is great. Same for weapons.

The game looks amazing from a large scale meta point of view. For long term I need to see carrots. Diablo has your grinding gshit for gear ND character power. Raiding is a social thing for better gear.

We haven't seen much it'll come down to different activities you can do.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It interests me enough I will get it and even if it turns out to just be a pretty random alien world generator I probably will have enough fun exploring for a few days to get my monies worth. If nothing else it could wind up being some good underlying code for people to use in future games that would allow them to concentrate more on the game aspects.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think you are both not realizing this is like Skyrim in space without quests. Open world exploration with combat and not just a 'survival' game.

This is about as open world as it gets and people are still playing Skyrim when there can't possibly be any rock they haven't overturned already.
Maybe this is why this game doesn't appeal to me.. I did the main quest in Skyrim and shut it off permanently, never really finding the appeal. I wonder if I went back if I would enjoy it more now.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I played like 120 hours of Skyrim and never even finished the main quest.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The lack of dynamism in the world following the events of the main quest really irked me. It had no impact. I wanted an xpac where you re-invade Cyrodiil/Black Marsh with your northmen/imperial army.

spronk

FPS noob
is the ps4 and pc backend the same or different servers? not sure what platform to buy on

the game reminds me a lot of spore and stuff like that, it'll be cool to play a few hours a month but beyond that it sounds like it'll get boring fast. also not sure why this is in the MMO forum and not other games, doesn't seem like an MMO in any way since you'll probably never run into another person.

Yeah the reason I think it isn't Spore is because Spore talked about these awesome mechanics creating amazing things and they ended up being shallow.

These guys are talking about just randomly generating "stuff" and you can shoot it or not, mine it or not, explore or trade. I really feel like they are making it shallow already but in a good way if that makes sense.

I really sound like a shill at this point and I am not 'that' hyped about it. I just hope it's halfways decent because I could see myself just zoning out and playing it for months with no real goal in mind.
I played Elite Dangerous for about a week before going "meh". Probably played it alot more than i should have because it cost me 80$, the priciest game i ever bought, besides subbing to MMOs.

It really makes me cynical about these games with "400 billion star systems!" now. Id rather have a well fleshed out corner of the Galaxy with a hundred planets to visit, with well fleshed out gaming content with which you have deep interaction, than 400 billion generic, procedurally generated star systems with nothing to do and interact with besides pew pewing pirates for bounties or space trucking or scanning 400 billion stars. Once you played eve online or modded X3 theres no going back to simpler economic systems for sim games. Its like when Tony Hawk skateboarding came out, the bar is raised, anything worse than that is going to feel horribly dated.

Im sure eventually procedural will be done well, but elite was a huge turn off.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
About time this thread got moved!

Is there any idea what the price point will be for this game? I'm wondering if Sony will try and do a PS+ offer for this since they have the timed exclusive already. They surprised me with Rocket League so why not this if the price point is low. This could be a great console pusher if it lives up to the hype and comes out around the holidays.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
They mentioned it would be simultaneous on PS4 and PC. I feel like it'll be 40-50, since they don't have an AAA dev and marketing budget to support.

My hope is that the procedural caves and relics will be at least as interesting as Minecraft. If they can get some interesting procedural underground exploration and monster fighting, this game could be a real winner. It all depends on how diverse the planets are, or if it's "seen one, seen them all".

Quaid

Trump's Staff
As the game's population condenses in the centre of the Galaxy, and everyone has a fully upgraded hyperdrive, player-to-player interaction will inevitably become far more common. You will be able to meet up and explore with friends far more easily. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an interstellar fast travel system located in the centre of the Galaxy to help facilitate this.

Bottom line, moving this thread from MMORPG General has me triggered.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
All comments from the devs point towards little to no interaction with other players. Maybe it's hype, but the universe is supposed to be stupidly big in this game. Maybe they'll reveal some new info in this IGN expose over the next few weeks. If that changes, we can move it back to the neckbeard thunderdome known as MMORPG General.