No Man's Sky

Cybsled

How do you stack the scanner? I tried and the additional ones just buffed the range.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
On the NMS website they stated they want lots of community feedback, tell them how to make a better game.

Eh, I don't work for free. My consultation rates are very reasonable though. ;)

But they really do need a good designer, which are surprisingly hard to find and they take another good designer to recognize them. So if you don't have one already it can be hard to find more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok bought this yesterday on Steam and played today. I might be hooked.

I was able to get my starter ship repaired and get off the first planet. Is there a good reference guide or video I should check out?

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I feel like there is many improvements and bug fixes to be made that will enhance the game and certain features would be nice as well. I'd also love different station layouts and freighters. Just a casual night of play( ok a long night but not forcing myself to a activity ) yields me 10-20 million units now. Between global missions that if you cherry pick the right reward can pay out as much as 4.5 million units from the reward item for just leaving the freighter and blasting 6 pirates in 30 seconds. Getting sent agro in space and going through all the waves can net 2-3 million in items and with my stacked multi tool scanner now I get ~60k per new plant scanned and ~500k per animal. Add in my massive farm selling crafted items for pure profit and it is nuts. I think I am down to just 8 salvaged items left, most of my 8 pages of items under guide are complete but that is really the only boring thing I have been doing. I spend a great deal of time in space managing my daily frigate missions and stacking up 1 ship mission + 4-8 station missions and when I want a break a pirate/sent battle.

I've seen several 48 slot haulers I wanted that came and went, so I am closing on my 110million+ units I need to purchase one. I don't see many freighters I want and the few I did I didn't at the time have the 60 million units to buy them. I dread that moving day so I want to make sure it is only once.
Overall not a bad game now though and considering what was done since the failed botched release, I imagine it will only get better.
I will for sure add it to my game rotation where about 10 games I hit for a few weeks/months after massive updates then move to the next one with updates, but I am probably in NMS until the update on 7D2D hits in the next few weeks.

How the hell are you so good at this game? I get sucked into the story missions and exploring, I dont really have a set plan for this game even though im 32 hours in. 110 million units damn son!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Got it. Still in the honeymoon phase but I can see resource grinding being a bitch I don't like in the future.
Fun for now though! Explored a couple of planets, made a shitty base, etc.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Anyone else encounter the bug where your Frigate gets damaged, you go to repair it, but the last repair point isn't visible or repairable? Annoying as fuck.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
NMS is VERY wonky when you try to printscreen things. For example I tried a dozen times to show the module stats in the 2nd screenshot and while it showed on screen it never showed in paint.
Ok so the first thing I do is I have a massive plant farm, most do. I generally do poly fibres, heat capacitors, organic compounds and glass and so forth. If I see a mission with a cyro-pump reward I take it, and make a cyrogenic chamber. Better if it offers the chamber as a reward. That is 4.8 million credits sold instantly.
Getting your levels to the better missions is important.

Now the second phase and I do this with my exo and ship as well is module stacking.
See the outlines and colors, that means they are tied together as best as I can figure and offer a bonus. The 3 scanner ones in white at the bottom are all 32-37% scanner range and +6-9000 fauna and flora which means for every plant I scan it is currently at 56k and every animal depending on the agressions is 130-600,000 units( undiscovered ). This is instant cash back rewards.

You'll have to have module S's to do this which are sold in stations.
When you stack too many they flash red and you'll have to remove them until it does't. Generally it seems 3 or 4. I know the game says 3, but in some cases it seems like I can do 4, pending the item.
I am always bettering the weapon/shield/pulse drive ones on my ship and my scanner and mining ones in my multitool.
I go to a new station and buy up all the S modules and they usually run 430ish nanos each. Lots of times now they are not better than I have but they are always random in stats.
I think base speed on planets is around 159 units/s to fly around. My ship flies at around 300 units/s as pulse adds speed in atmosphere. The downside being the slowest I can go is like 36 instead of 20.

Last night I maxed my exo suit and my blueprints so drop pods and salvaged tech is no longer useful to me. Sells good though.
Sadly I still have my base is in space bug where it thinks the place I need to continue the base missions is a spot floating in space. I am missing 4 blueprints and I don't know a work around.

I'm still scratching my head as to why my suit can carry 5.5k more units than my base freighter can. I guess I'll upgrade the freighter tonight but I dread the move and not sure the best way to go about it. I assume I find the one I love but not buy and go back and tear down and stack my base/vaults into my 6 ships then sell and rebuild.

hh1.png

hh2.png

I've never had luck with games and quests. There is always issues and bugs so I forgive NMS for this. My issues run back to the 80s and Kings Quest and every single game in between.

I said it before but always keep Na+( sodium nitrate ) handy and when you are in trouble, punch tab and click the deflector shield twice. Instant recharge. Never get caught with your pants down. Even with full shields and +160% in shield modules and a shield bonus ship, I've still had capital ships one shot me a few times. I assume a crit.

One thing NMS could add that would be simple for them to do is say I hover over my pulse drive. It should but doesn't tell me the accumulations of the mods like mine would say something like +30% maneuverability +60% pulse power +33% boost + whatever ship bonus was.

vault.png

This is typically what is in my 10 vaults. Each of these type of resources break down in the large refinery to make 250- of the main elements which you can then break down again.
Tritium while common in space is on many markets and you can buy 1000 for 8000 units or so. So I spend 16,000 units for 2000 and buy Di-hydrogen jelly as it is dirt cheap too. Each of those breaks down into 50 Di-hydrogen. For pennies you can make enough frigate fuel to conquer all 5 missions a night, which resets at 7pm CST I've noticed. You can also sell it. I haven't worked out the profits but it seems it sells for way more than it costs to buy the things to rework into it.

I may start anew come to think about it just so I can unscrew myself on my base missions and not be silly about planting and removing bases all over this time until that line is done.
NMS is afterall a journey and not where you end up. As I said, not a game for everyone.

Edit- I've unscrewed myself on the base computer missions by deleting all land bases and going to the one it says is my main base and building a new device in the old spot. Now the screwy part. Afking a few hours between each mission until I am past it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
How do you upgrade Frigate slots? Is it just by finding class S freighters? I am neglecting building out mine because I fear having to swap ships

Oldbased

> Than U
Not sure. I haven't managed to max out my fleet yet. I would say I am close but I thought that on my exo suit too. Currently the main inventory I maxed out at 48 and 14 tech and on 45 cargo. It isn't lost on me that my suit currently holds more resources than my current freighter that would be x2 even. I spent most of the night warping finishing up the Atlas mission and working on base computer missions in between. Should wrap those up in the next hour or so. Found a new multi tool along the way through 30 space stations that I think is about max. 24 slot class A. I bought it, now I have to refarm all my modules but that's ok.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So I got no man's sky. Is there no tutorial built in or anything? I started up the game and picked the easiest thing on top of the list and when I get in I fall over dead after about 30 seconds. I don't get a HUD, no tutorial, no hint, no nothing, just a planet and then dead. After a few times I gave up.

• 2Worf

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
There should be a tutorial. In the beginning you are on a planet with radiation or whatever... hit TAB on PC and it brings up your screen to recharge your protective systems. Shoot stuff with the beam to get more materials... carbon for the systems.

Cybsled

The Sentinels (the floating robot drone things) will also attack you if you try to mine near them. When I first started the game, I tried to get materials and the little fuckers started shooting me and all you have at the start is the mining beam for damage.

It is RNG for starting planet. If you start on one with hazard atmosphere, then you have to get sodium to power that protection system (O2 for your normal life support).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Please tell me there's a mod to change the way the mouse clicks work. Not a fan of click and hold and click and hold. Not sure why the old way of just click didn't work.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
When do I get the mission chain that fleshes out base building? I'm helping Polo in the anomaly do I need to just keep doing that?

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
When do I get the mission chain that fleshes out base building? I'm helping Polo in the anomaly do I need to just keep doing that?

It is pretty hard to discern with a lot of misinformation out there and people claiming there are buggy quests. From my experience there are two triggers to the "full base build." The first trigger is the Awakening quest line, after you unlock Polo you should get a quest that sends you to an unknown distress beacon on a nearby planet. It may or may not require you to warp back and forth to trigger. It picks back up as a distress signal in space after meeting polo. This will unlock the "archives" base quest line through the base building interface. The second part of base building is unlocked through buying the blueprint through the blueprint analyzer for one of the metal rooms. Round or square it doesn't matter, after placing one you will get a quest to start the terminals quest line.

-Complete the "Awakening" quest Line until it changes into the "Artemis" quest line. This unlocks the basic "Base Archive" quest line.
-Build a Cylindrical Room or a Square Room. This unlocks the Base Terminals which give separate quest lines for each terminal.

*I believe you need to have a base computer set anywhere for the base archive quest to start.

Another unrelated tip that I figured out late into my first play through, make good use of the teleporter in stations, after you visit stations in other star systems you can teleport back without wasting resources. Also, the Freighter Warp drive only takes one warp cell to fully charge, so it is more mat friendly to warp with the freighter in early game.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I should know this by now, but do I still have to have upgrades for mining lasers, etc adjacent to the square the base unit is sitting in?

Or have they changed that.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
I should know this by now, but do I still have to have upgrades for mining lasers, etc adjacent to the square the base unit is sitting in?

Or have they changed that.

Yes you do, when you slot them correctly an outline color will be around the upgrade. If slotted incorrectly it will just remain a grey border. Upgrades also chain off of one another as well, so only one needs to be adjacent to the technology module you are modifying. When I do new modules I always hop in and out of my ship to auto save, in the event I slot them wrong I can just reload the last auto save and try again.

• 1Like