No Man's Sky

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did anybody try it in VR since the patch? I played this in VR on PS4 and loved it so I bought it on PC just for VR and it was awful. I'm hoping gave it some VR love for PC.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
What's wrong with the PCVR?

I have a PSVR and a Valve Index running off an Nvidia 3070, the Index should blow away the PSVR, and it does for everything except this game. For some reason this game runs like ass on VR, a year back I did the rounds on reddit VR and NMS and the various app and plugin pages to see what I could do to get it running better and the general feeling at that time was wait for the NMS team to patch in better graphic performance targeting VR.

I don't know that this patch does that, but I hope it does! I have one of the new Vive Pro 2 headsets coming next week, going to get that installed and give this another try with the new patch and new Nvidia drivers. I'll report back in with results but was hoping someone else had already tried it out.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I found the game nearly unplayable on PSVR especially if you were anywhere near a base. Was fun to fly around in tho

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yes, it's on Game Pass.

1622819355000.png

When I tried PCVR briefly after it launched I thought it was pretty awesome, but didn't do much. Once I get around to setting up my Quest 2 I'll have to give it another go after these updates.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Other games be releasing a potion and some pants after 6 months in development.
Meanwhile over in NMS
Build fucking towns now and set defenses and 250 new building parts and complete overhaul and tons more.

• 5Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Was just asking a friend about the state of this two nights ago and he said what the thread says, just that it has come a long way and is actually pretty good. Seems to be the same $30 deal on Steam at the moment.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Was just asking a friend about the state of this two nights ago and he said what the thread says, just that it has come a long way and is actually pretty good. Seems to be the same $30 deal on Steam at the moment.

If this type of game is your deal... this is the 30 bucks you want to spend. This isn't even the same game that released so many years ago.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Awesome that they're still adding major features and continually improving the game, but does this mean expeditions are shelved for a while at least? I enjoyed the first two. I have more fun in sandboxes when there's at least some form of quests/achievements.

Edit: must have missed the expedition 3 part on first watch of the preview. Wonder how integrated the new features will be in the expedition. Would be a good tutorial for old players putting new stuff in the expedition.

Last edited:

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
every time I try the game, I am frustratingly disappointed..

settlement sim though? fuck, I'm going to have to give it a shot again, aren't i?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Everyone should buy this just to support a company that doesn't nickel and dime you with shitty DLC. These guys are god damn heroes.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Oldbased

> Than U
This game has enough of everything that is is really a must buy for anyone into gaming.
It's the explore and chill, fight and chill, build and chill, SPACE SHIT and chill, relive Xwing fighter and chill game.
It's deep and shallow at the same time. You got conflict, crafting, building, space fights, space exploration, planet exploration and even trade and farming.
You can do it all or just the one thing you enjoy and at the end of the night you sign out, and it is waiting for you next week when you want it to.
It's the ultimate sandbox that keeps getting better and at a faster rate than many other titles.( at no new cost )

• 1Solidarity

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Nice.

I played this last month and was pretty hooked on it. I think I played at least 100 hours.

I did a lot of base building but got frustrated because some of it wasn't optimal. I was definitely annoyed by the lack of indoor lighting. I tried to use cuboids a bit since they have ridiculous illumination, but they're just garbage.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
The lighting for sure could use improvements. This last expedition I set up an activated indium base on a lost blue planet and no matter what I did for lighting I couldn't get any shades of blue to show up, even in an entirely enclosed space. Cool effect when you're outside, not so much when indoors.

Other than the lighting though I'm somewhat emotionally attached to the base. Second survey spot and I got an S activated indium and S power. Combined with lessons learned making bases before and it was my favorite build.

Oldbased

> Than U
The lighting for sure could use improvements. This last expedition I set up an activated indium base on a lost blue planet and no matter what I did for lighting I couldn't get any shades of blue to show up, even in an entirely enclosed space. Cool effect when you're outside, not so much when indoors.

Other than the lighting though I'm somewhat emotionally attached to the base. Second survey spot and I got an S activated indium and S power. Combined with lessons learned making bases before and it was my favorite build.
You can keep it but with 250 new pieces, turn it into a environmental town with even cooler bases.
Hell, I still haven't built a underwater base or tried a organic ship yet.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I originally bought this at release for our PS4, which has died and I am not going to replace. I'm tempted to pick it up again on PC at this price.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
1630522383269.png

And they did it all for free. This is a gaming dev. Not a company.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm

r/ games doesn't have alot of nice things to say.
the game ultimately is alot like Starbound. huge endless worlds, lots of individual things... but its empty, souless, and no unifying cohesion.

Like in Terraria, most of the game systems all interact with each other. Fishing is not just a random side thing. its can be used to farm special items, ore, and fish, for alchemy. And, you have to either go to a biome to fish for those special items, or build your own biome to let you do it locally.

starbound kept adding "things", that were ultimately window dressing. they didn't fix the core game loop, and didn't incorporate those things into it either. sounds like NMS has that same problem. the world gen is boring. There's not much reason to really go to any world/biome, etc for cool unique items.

Terraria really has nailed it, and others fail so badly. Bosses. Building arenas remotely to fight said bosses. some of them have consumables. queenbee/plantera, for example. which require hunting for the boss every time. Unique biome loot. npcs to rescue and bring back to town. npcs interact with each other. good ratio of dirt:useful mats. not just endless miles of dirt.. chests full of ropes, bombs, cash, torches, potions, etc.. largely consumables, with a chance for that cool unique item. but items, that are still useful.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Wow I'm genuinely suprised 5 years later they are still pumping out content/fixing shit with nothing but the original box sales and fiasco. Way to garner some huge trust if they release something new.

100% agree on Terraria. It is the only game in the genre that I didn't ask myself "why the fuck am I playing this" a few hours later. Really great blend.

Was bummed when Terraria:Otherworld got cancelled.