[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't disagree with you, bullet time would most likely be completely out of place in Star Wars, but shaky cam, I suppose we'll see, it's hard to argue about that right now. However I will mention that shaky cam or "handheld" technic was already prominent since the 1960s by directors like John Cassavetes. You can even see some hand held style in Dr. Strangelove, and a more shaky style in Battle Royale which I believe it's from the early 70s.
What Battle Royale are you talking about? Not the Japanese one, right? Because that's from 2000 and I don't see any other Battle Royale films on IMDB. Unless you're thinking of something else.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've said it before and I'll say it again, shaky cam in the right context is great. In an unexpected car accident, in a rookie experiencing war for the first time, someone being mugged, etc. It provides a strong sense of chaos, claustrophobia, and confusion. Which is the exact reason why people don't like it. It evokes a lot of uncomfortable feelings. We want to see what is happening from a detached perspective, but shaky cam doesn't allow that. That perspective is a great tool for start telling, but because of the very nature of it, it alienates the viewer and MUST be used sparingly

Edit: and screenwipes... They absolutely evoke emotion. You don't have to know whats happening to be effected by it. In fact, KNOWING what technique is being used generally takes us out of the moment. Its better to just enjoy the medium for what it is. (Better for the storyteller, at least).

It was a terrible movie, but ang lee's hulk had great screen wipes.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I do like the idea that despite the efforts of both the Sith and the Jedi to exterminate each other (and themselves in the case of the Sith) that the Force itself still exists and will find a way to express itself both Dark and Light. The Clone Wars episodes that looked into the nature of the Dark and Light side of the Force touched on this directly in some aspects but I think there is much more than can be expressed here. The idea that the Force is bigger than all these petty squabbles and such

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, there was that possible leak of Luke using both light and dark side interchangeably, and going into exile because of it, because of the inherent dangers of using both sides. It would be great to see more characters use typically opposite sides of the force.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Trailer made me feel nostalgic, so ended up watching episode 4 last night.

It's kinda sad to see how the new scenes(CGI) have aged so poorly compared to the rest of the movie who has aged so well in my opinion.

The music still give me goosbumps in certain places after all these years.

I simply cannot grow up when watching it, it always make me feel like a kid again.
smile.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Trailer made me feel nostalgic, so ended up watching episode 4 last night.

It's kinda sad to see how the new scenes(CGI) have aged so poorly compared to the rest of the movie who has aged so well in my opinion.

The music still give me goosbumps in certain places after all these years.

I simply cannot grow up when watching it, it always make me feel like a kid again.
smile.png
Yeah it's funny how their effort to future proof it just made it age faster.

In some ways I feel like if they said, "We aren't using green screens or any CGI characters." they'd generate a ton of hype for the movie.

iannis

Musty Nester
It has been over used so much that it's become a cheap gimmick and alienates the experience rather than adding to it in any way. Shakycam is "It was a dark and stormy night" of film. At least for this decade.

But sure, as a technique its perfectly fine. There's nothing intrinsicly flawed with any particular technique. The only time shakycam does not personally annoy me is when it's used in a war fiction. But a very specific style of story. It didn't bug me at all in Edge of Tomorrow. It was perfectly placed in Band of Brothers. I know the name is "StarWars", but this story is really NOT a war fiction.

That said, I don't really give a shit. I'm more apprehensive of them trying to turn Star Wars into the new "Wolverine+Iron Man Movie Franchise of 202x" than someone thinking shakycam is super cool. But in 15 years, that technique is going to seriously date movies. Just like you can tell just by looking at it what decade Stallone movies came out in.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Fans flip out over retarded light saber, CNN puts up front page article about black storm trooper. Unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone complaining about a black dude.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I hate shaky cam and I hate short action cuts. Directors, cinematographers and editors use these tools to evoke emotion in the audience to help them with their story telling but in many cases I couldn't give two shits about the emotion their trying to evoke. In other cases when shaky cam and quick cuts comes up I just sigh at the missed opportunity and wasted budget/screen time. When it comes time for action scenes I want to see some bad ass action scenes and any disruption to my ability to see the action scenes ruins the scenes and merely makes them a way to move the story along instead of being the core of why I'm here to see the movie.

Besides that, it's a cheap way to make a fast paced action sequence without working hard on enabling it with good actors, stuntment, choreography and special effects.

And finally, can anyone name a single quick-cut action scene that was memorable? I feel like everyone who enjoys good action sequences can list great long-cut action sequences for days, but quick cuts? totally forgettable.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Fans flip out over retarded light saber, CNN puts up front page article about black storm trooper. Unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone complaining about a black dude.
CNN is a race-baiting shithole, that's why.

Feien

Ploppers
And finally, can anyone name a single quick-cut action scene that was memorable? I feel like everyone who enjoys good action sequences can list great long-cut action sequences for days, but quick cuts? totally forgettable.
Not sure if by "action" you mean something more specific, but the most memorable one, and considered one of the best sequences in cinema is the shower scene in Psycho.

I will confess that I'm not the biggest fan of shaky cam because it's mostly misused or overused, but I can definitely think of many examples of cinematographers using the technic properly. Like Saving Private Ryan or District 9 (I think that movie benefitted greatly from giving it that handheld feel) but people tend to take things to far ala Bourne or Cloverfield.

Also... gotta love Edgar Wright's quick cutting transitions.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Bourne Supremecy. There was some fight in some dude's house that I remember vividly. Because I was like what the fuck is the garbage shaky-cam quick cut shit.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Bourne Supremecy. There was some fight in some dude's house that I remember vividly. Because I was like what the fuck is the garbage shaky-cam quick cut shit.
Yep, memorable in the "wow I bet this would be a cool fight if I could see a goddamn thing" sort of way.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The only reason we tolerate 3D on everything these days is because they can't do shaky cam and 3D without making it look completely awful. Some studios can do 3D right, practically everyone fails at shaky cam. So we take the lesser evil.