[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't that part of the premise, that they were cheaply made so they could cranked out in massive numbers in a short time? The rebels were generally considered to have superior ships and more highly skilled pilots, which offset their smaller numbers.
Actually empire had way better ships Tie fighters were sub light speed fighters deployed from those better imperial ships. Rebel fighters were bigger and capable of greater then light speed because most of the time they had no larger ships to support them

The standard star destroyer carried six tie fighter squadrons . If you saw a Tie fighter not near a major planet it always meant there was a bigger Imperial ship somewhere near by.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
nerds.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Tie fighters drew inspiration from the Japanese Zeros, I believe. Light, fast, decent offense; very cheap. While Rebel ships were more like later WW2 American planes, heavier, bigger engines, more power but less agile; more expensive though. A lot of Lucas' space battle inspirations are taken directly from WW2 (I'm sure everyone has already seen the strafing ect is copied from WW2 footage. And many of his famous fight scenes are copies, I mean "homages" from WW2 serial films.)

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Keep waiting for someone else to say it, but the tie fighter and x wing durability is an indication of how each side feels about it's people. For the empire, the stormtroopers were cannon fodder, and they didn't give a fuck how many they lost, they just needed to crank them out quickly.

And if you think that sounds like poor strategy, then you must be forgetting the emperor was Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevillll

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Keep waiting for someone else to say it, but the tie fighter and x wing durability is an indication of how each side feels about it's people. For the empire, the stormtroopers were cannon fodder, and they didn't give a fuck how many they lost, they just needed to crank them out quickly.

And if you think that sounds like poor strategy, then you must be forgetting the emperor was Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevillll
Like my last post in this thread. Thanks for the validation.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Actually empire had way better ships Tie fighters were sub light speed fighters deployed from those better imperial ships.
I guess I should have specified "fighters". I referred to them as ships because well, that's what they were often referred to as in the movies.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I was thinking. John Fucking Williams is 82 years old now. Let's face it, he's going to kick the bucket one day, so I started thinking. Who the fuck is going to score the sound track? Danny Elfman?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I was thinking. John Fucking Williams is 82 years old now. Let's face it, he's going to kick the bucket one day, so I started thinking. Who the fuck is going to score the sound track? Danny Elfman?
The thought of a Star Wars movie without a score by John Fucking Williams is almost as depressing as the thought of an endless stream of Star Wars movies with scripts by George Fucking Lucas.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Like my last post in this thread. Thanks for the validation.
Yeah, you got close, but you didn't really hit the whole "Empire is evil and doesn't care about lives" angle.

Anyway, I'm with Yoda.

pvp20141202.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If a cross guard on the light saber is the biggest thing people can bitch about, I'm on board. It's getting really annoying. Y'all are fags.

Caliane

But this isn't really mirrored anywhere else. AT-AT, AT-ST. Destroyers, etc.
Tie fighters are like the ONLY example of Imperial forces which are not heavily armored, gunned, etc. All other Imperial tech is giant hulking offensive and defensive juggernaught. save maybe the speederbikes. which are shown to be clearly for scouting, not combat.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Star Wars: The Magic of Myth is a great book to read. It goes along with the discussion you were just having about the differences between the Rebels and Empire. It shows what influenced Lucas for the most part.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tie fighters are like the ONLY example of Imperial forces which are not heavily armored, gunned, etc. All other Imperial tech is giant hulking offensive and defensive juggernaught. save maybe the speederbikes. which are shown to be clearly for scouting, not combat.
Yep. Tie Fighters are completely out of place and make no sense. People trying to compare them to zerglings when everything else about the Empire screams protoss makes no sense.

Tie fighters are just a plot device to allow the heroes to easily cut through the enemy. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you accept it for what it is.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Maybe light fighters proved effective against Empire behemoths and they had to quickly shit out legions of TIEs to counter them.

/overthinking it

Caliane

Maybe light fighters proved effective against Empire behemoths and they had to quickly shit out legions of TIEs to counter them.

/overthinking it
well in theory they presumably should have swarmed enemies. like, vs the Millennium Falcon. Tie fighters should have WRECKED it. With it being completely in capable of dodging their fire, while not capable of actually turning and firing at them, with the same maneuverability. Or larger capital ships as well.
what we actually saw was it just blasting through them like they didn't exist. Even Starwars noobs probably would all agree, TIE fighters are not a threat.

Even storm troopers were depicted better. while, yes, fans of Starwars are well aware of the joke, they always miss. A bunch of rag tag farmers, etc all manage to get away from legions of Storm troopers...
Troopers were still shown to be fairly scary in a number of ways.
A New Hope opening scene. Troopers clearly overwhelm rebel forces. Even when shown to be getting away, the vast majority of time, when Troopers are involved, the heroes are in full flight mode. Meaning, even if the Troopers totally fail at their jobs, we are shown that the heroes are still scared of them.
Hoth is another example. Although its more, the walkers, the Imperial Military is shown to be overwhelmingly dominate.

With Return of the Jedi end star battle, its the Deathstar that wracks up the kills on capital ships. Again, at no point are TIE fighters shown to be effective at anything.

I would argue the special additions just make it worse. As, now you add MORE ships, to further the idea of swarming... but hilariously, as terrible as they were before that 10 ships failed to shoot down the Millennium falcon, 40 ships failing to do so is just downright sad.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
dont speeder bikes have laser cannons? also lets not forget that the ewoks beat the empires forces with some sticks and logs.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
In the Empire's defence, we only see a very limited sample size of stormtroopers. I'm sure there are hundreds of worlds that were beaten bloody by the Empire that we never see on film. The ones we see are up against the rebel elite so they should fall short. That and the Empire never saw the rebels as a threat. Arrogance = fail.