[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

As for Affleck, giving a guy with 0 experience in Sci-Fi/Fantasy the biggest Sci-Fi/Fantasy franchise of all time is the most boneheaded idea I've heard.
meh, Affleck would probably bring Star Wars back to where it started, the darker and grittier world / story. Abrams take is usually more upbeat with a lot of tongue in cheek humor., his version will probably have more than one 'hand getting chopped off at the wrist' scene to make fun of Lucas' tired trope.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The best Star Wars flick was made by a guy who had zero experience with sci-fi/fantasy.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0449984/

Affleck's a talented director. I think he could made it work.
God damn, you linked his IMDB and didn't read it?

He started in Sci-Fi. It was his very first job. And then after 25 years of experience directing everything from successful TV shows to award winning films, to teaching Lucas his love for Sci-Fi in College, he did Star Wars. Fucks sake. I'd love a good argument on this since it's all subjective, but print something that backs up your statement rather than destroys it.

meh, Affleck would probably bring Star Wars back to where it started, the darker and grittier world / story. Abrams take is usually more upbeat with a lot of tongue in cheek humor., his version will probably have more than one 'hand getting chopped off at the wrist' scene to make fun of Lucas' tired trope.
Maybe. But that's assuming he doesn't go geek or just outright sell out to his friends by letting his brother play Han Solo Jr. or god knows what else. It's just an awfully big risk using a guy with 3 1/2 movies and his only comparable genre movie was Daredevil. It's all a moot point now.

Indiana Jones however, that might be a different subject all together.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Ok, you defeated my argument completely. I didn't notice Kershner made a low budget made for TV sci-fi flick when he was a novice filmmaker. Shit.

Honestly, I think it's a dumb argument. There's been tons of directors who have entered genres that they've had little to no experience in and they've made some of the best flicks the genre has ever seen.

If the director is talented, they should be able to make it work.

Affleck has been around for long enough and he's proven his skills on three separate occasions -- I think we'd see a unique Star Wars film that would be a little different and a little braver in its ideas and concepts.

Maybe he might have fucked it up. I don't know. He couldn't do any worse than Lucas, though.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, at least Abrams is a big Star Wars fan. He'll at least treat the franchise with respect.
Doesn't Peter Jackson love the Tolkien universe? I'm pretty sure everyone is claiming he pissed all over his grave with The Hobbit so... flawed logic.

Arakkis

N00b
Only spergy nerds claim that Jackson did a bad job on The Hobbit. If anything he is trying to expound on the works of Tolkien too much. Abrams, on the other hand, completely changed Star Trek from a thoughtful utopian view of humanity's journey into space, to a shiny cliff jumping sword fighting eyegasm that was out of touch with the source material. This could be good, hell it has to be better than Lucas' sad attempts, but I am much more skeptical now than I was previously.

Phaint_sl

shitlord
I have a question regarding directors... Why do people make such a big deal over the director of a movie when shouldn't it be the writers who they should be worried about? I mean the director gets to dictate his "vision" on how the scene should look like but ultimately whoever wrote the story should be the one getting all the praise if the movie turns out to be epic no?

iannis

Musty Nester
They're both important. But it's kinda like a good director can save a bad script, and a bad director can ruin a good script -- but it doesn't seem to work the other way around too often.

There are also probably more good writers available than good directors.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It doesn't matter who signs on or what they do, a lot of people are going to hate it. It will still make boat loads of money and be a financial success, but the hate will be strong.

Cybsled

Doesn't Peter Jackson love the Tolkien universe? I'm pretty sure everyone is claiming he pissed all over his grave with The Hobbit so... flawed logic.
If anything, the Hobbit demonstrates why it is good to not try to do close to 1:1 book to movie adaptations. Books have lots of material that can be good on the page, but translate horribly to the screen due to various reasons (pacing being the #1 reason). Can you imagine Game of Thrones on HBO if they had included the pages upon pages of introducing ancillary characters with virtually no direct impact on the story? People would have been "wtf is this shit???".

Zech_sl

shitlord
Abrams is a good choice. A damn good choice after reading Ben Affleck wanted to fucking do it.

Fuck that.
You think this is over...there are two more films and i dont think they will keep Abrams on all three. They will get 3 directors just like they are getting 3 writers. He still has a chance to do one and i would rather him do the new middle darker film than the final lighter film.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Affleck makes good films. Regardless of having experience with sci-fi or fantasy, that alone would make me ok with Affleck. But Abrams is a really good choice, I'm ok with it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Listen, I'm not saying I think Jackson did a terrible job. I fucking loved The Hobbit, I think it's visually one of the best movies I have ever seen. I just know a lot of butthurt people on these boards qq about it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
People on these boards cry about everything, it is not a good gauge of reality.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm cool with JJ..... i've enjoyed pretty well everything he has done. Has it been my favorite, no but he appears to create genius in every click whether it achieves it or not.... I think he'll take SW very seriously because it could put his name in the history books if it succeeds. Honestly, he's in a good position though... SW fans are hungry for something good. I'm sure they've felt shafted for years.