North Korean Hackers Attack On Sony

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Guess we're invading North Korea by March now.
I think you were right yesterday about Sony going out of business that at the time I thought was crazy when I read it.

Now invading North Korea I still think is crazy.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
From theWired article:

"Notably, Phil Reitinger?s name appears in the email thread. Reitinger is a big gun in security, having once served as Deputy Under Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security?s National Protection and Programs Directorate. The NPPD helps protect government civilian systems. Reitinger is also a former Microsoft executive, former director of the Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center and, ironically, former deputy chief of the Justice Department?s Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section.

He left his DHS job in 2011 to join Sony as its chief information security officer where he?s responsible for overseeing the company?s global security efforts. Last year he was also appointed to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo?s cyber security advisory board."

Lolz

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think you were right yesterday about Sony going out of business that at the time I thought was crazy when I read it.

Now invading North Korea I still think is crazy.
No one should expect them to lay low after scoring a win. "Do it again" will be followed by "do even more" and every step of the Sony process plus any additional attacks will have the media dumping oil on the fire. Hell, CNN would crash a holographic plane into it just so they can keep spamming you about it for another few weeks.

Siddar

No one should expect them to lay low after scoring a win. "Do it again" will be followed by "do even more" and every step of the Sony process plus any additional attacks will have the media dumping oil on the fire. Hell, CNN would crash a holographic plane into it just so they can keep spamming you about it for another few weeks.
Maybe I'm not sure I believe it's NK doing this though.

Siddar

What a bunch of spineless faggots
Most likely were looking at blackmail here. The hackers likely have other things that could put Sony people in jail if they were revealed and still other things that could also lead to massive civil lawsuit judgments against Sony as well.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most likely were looking at blackmail here. The hackers likely have other things that could put Sony people in jail if they were revealed and still other things that could also lead to massive civil lawsuit judgments against Sony as well.
I figured it was this or the movie was just so shitty they decided to pull it after the big 5 movie theater chains said they weren't going to show it.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I figured it was this or the movie was just so shitty they decided to pull it after the big 5 movie theater chains said they weren't going to show it.
That's not really an attractive option. Even the shittiest movie will sell SOME tickets, and this wasn't likely to be any worse than the other Rogen/Franco flicks (no better either). Sony is going to take a huge hit for not releasing this. If what they're saying is true, they're planning to shelve it completely without even a VOD release. That means all the money just goes up in smoke.

I don't see this decision happening unless there is credible evidence of further leaks that are even more damaging to Sony, or some kind of legit threat. They're walking away from a $40 million movie because someone on the Internet make a scary post? Seems hard to believe.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This makes a joke out of our entire society.

Censoring 'art' so as to not offend childlike dictator - check.

Massive security state that spies on its own citizens but can't catch a bunch of hackers from a country that doesn't even have internet - check.

People being too scared to go to a fucking movie - check.

That this whole thing is over a stoner movie - check.

The terrorists have truly won.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
What a bunch of spineless faggots
That's the thing. No one was going to even go see this stupid fucking movie or care about it until NK went all hurr durr over it. Now Sony is caving to apparent turrist threats that some little shit kid in NK made over the Internet. They should've released the movie and said "fuck you go ahead and try to jihad one of our theaters". 99.99999% sure nothing at all would've happened but I could be wrong; maybe we should piss our pants in fear and cave every time Kim Jong Un has his little jimmies rustled.

I hope whoever is behind this releases the "blackmail" on Sony anyways just for the lulz.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
From theWired article:

"Notably, Phil Reitinger's name appears in the email thread. Reitinger is a big gun in security, having once served as Deputy Under Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security's National Protection and Programs Directorate. The NPPD helps protect government civilian systems. Reitinger is also a former Microsoft executive, former director of the Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center and, ironically, former deputy chief of the Justice Department's Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section.

He left his DHS job in 2011 to join Sony as its chief information security officer where he's responsible for overseeing the company's global security efforts. Last year he was also appointed to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo's cyber security advisory board."

Lolz
So he's been at the helm for the most intrusive cyber attacks that the world has ever seen. He should just put his job description down as cyber obstetrician now because he's been bedside and party to Sony getting ripped V to A twice now while they involuntarily birth all sorts of information that they didn't want out. That would look better on his CV than anything that includes the words "Director" or "Chief"

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
That's the thing. No one was going to even go see this stupid fucking movie or care about it until NK went all hurr durr over it. Now Sony is caving to apparent turrist threats that some little shit kid in NK made over the Internet. They should've released the movie and said "fuck you go ahead and try to jihad one of our theaters". 99.99999% sure nothing at all would've happened but I could be wrong; maybe we should piss our pants in fear and cave every time Kim Jong Un has his little jimmies rustled.

I hope whoever is behind this releases the "blackmail" on Sony anyways just for the lulz.
The thing is, the way US laws work, it's actually not impossible for Sony to have been sued for damages had extremists actually blown up a movie theater. They can very much be held liable for ignoring a credible threat to the safety of their customers.

In addition, no theater in the country would show the movie. There's no way one movie can sell enough tickets to make up losses on their other 15 movies from all the people that stay home, fearing a potential attack. Freedom of speech doesn't mean jack shit when money is on the line.

South Park got hit with this in 2011. Revolution Muslim didn't even make direct threats of violence, but Viacom still censored all mentions of Islam out of the episode completely, leaving like half the audio as bleeps.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i absolutely agree, release that shit anyway and see how utterly and completely clowned Sony has become. i know Sony is a japanese company, dunno what their policy is on this kind of thing. they need to learn that you do not bow down to bullies, especially some shit kid working out of an internet cafe.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
They can very much be held liable for ignoring a credible threat to the safety of their customers.
Does anyone in their right mind actually think NK is capable of orchestrating and executing terrorist attacks on thousands of targets in a single night inside the US? Fuckers can barely get a missile past Japan. I don't really consider that threat as credible, just more of NK's typical over reaching bluster. It's much more likely that whatever they've held back in this surprise will lead to serious legal implications for Sony which is what made Sony stop the release.

Siddar

The thing is, the way US laws work, it's actually not impossible for Sony to have been sued for damages had extremists actually blown up a movie theater. They can very much be held liable for ignoring a credible threat to the safety of their customers.

In addition, no theater in the country would show the movie. There's no way one movie can sell enough tickets to make up losses on their other 15 movies from all the people that stay home, fearing a potential attack. Freedom of speech doesn't mean jack shit when money is on the line.

South Park got hit with this in 2011. Revolution Muslim didn't even make direct threats of violence, but Viacom still censored all mentions of Islam out of the episode completely, leaving like half the audio as bleeps.
Um no Sony made a perfectly legal movie the theater would be showing a perfectly legal movie.

They both have zero legal responsibility for those carrying out criminal acts because of there movie.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I don't buy the entire omg pull the movie to stop them from releasing more of our emails. They are going to do it no matter what. I think they are believing their own movie bs and thinking NK will do a 9/11 attack. That's how stupid they are.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Um no Sony made a perfectly legal movie the theater would be showing a perfectly legal movie.

They both have zero legal responsibility for those carrying out criminal acts because of there movie.
If you operate a public venue and someone calls in a bomb threat and you do nothing, you absolutely will get your ass sued if there is a bomb and it kills people.