Notre Dame Manti Te'o dead girlfriend a hoax

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm just catching up on this but my initial reaction is that he wanted public sympathy on his side to help his heisman push?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you shitting me? He cried for Teo and talked about he was the most trusting guy he knew. He backed him 100%.
I was more speaking to the many moments when the AD would say, "you know, that's a really good question, and we'll have to let Manti explain". To me that was them dumping it all on him, basically saying... we can't explain any of this shit and hopefully he can or else we don't know who to trust anymore. It was basically an innocent until proven guilty, and even though he's holding the smoking gun, we'll let him explain himself before we pass judgement.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
No way he comes out as gay. Even if is, there are much easier ways to get out of this mess that won't jeopardize his nfl career.
That's why I'm interested. Does everyone think that being openly gay = no NFL career? It's a bit surprising to me that everyone seems to make this assumption in this day and age.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sort of what I gathered from this as well. He's either a colossal douche or a huge fucking retard if he really got duped.
Pretty much this. I honestly just can't see how someone would actually try to pull something like this off though. I mean he had national media hype because of his grandmother and supposed girlfriend passing away. Is there really anybody out there that thinks they could pull that off and get away with it? I truly want to believe that he didn't know, because holy fuck if he did...

Then again, what about the funeral? I would have to assume that there was a funeral, and he would have attended it if there was one. This whole situation is just fucked up.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
The thing with his dad saying that he spent time with her in Hawaii multiple times is probably the biggest red flag that he's full of shit. That pretty much had to come from Manti himself; who else would have told his dad that? What possible reason would he have for telling his dad that unless he was actually doing something else? It seems plausible that he and his buddy are actually fuck buddies and this was their way of covering it up; either that, or they were idiots and thought it was good Heisman hype which they could get away with somehow.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really hope that person on the other end of the phone ends up being a tranny. This story is fucking awesome.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I guess it's possible he was duped but given all the info out there, it really doesn't make sense.

Either the "I need a good storyline for the Heisman run" or "my online girlfriend covers the fact I'm into dudes" makes way more sense.

Boy, I'd like to be an NFL GM on the other side of the interview table in a few months. That should be interesting.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
According to the deadspin.com article the real girl came forward when she saw her picture from her facebook posted with that name.
I was under the impression Deadspin found out who this girl was and contacted her. She didn't know her face was being used as Te'o's gf.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Somebody needs to shoop teo's face in this
rrr_img_9419.jpg

scal_sl

shitlord
Notre Dame's official response claimed that Manti came to them about this on December 26th. Yet, Manti was still answering questions about his GF all the way until the BCS Championship.

The guy who ran the Lennay and her sister accounts was a close friend of Teo's. So close that he was Teo's guest at the USC/ND game. Manti Teo has also since deleted all tweets aimed at Lennay's sister's twitter account.

As someone else put it:

The fact that he claims to have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours talking to this girl completely disproves the possibility that he was tricked. What fucking reason would ANYONE have to continue this for so long; it was a guy who created the girl persona (and a family friend on Manti, at that). It would be absolutely impossible to find some girl who spend countless hours on the phone with him - for what? There is no fucking logical explanation for the idea that this was an elaborate (understatement) hoax, perpetrated by his friend, with absolutely no motive, who found a girl who was willing to devout days and days on the phone pretending to be some girl.

Manti was obviously in on this, but that's no longer the question. The question is why this was done. Is he gay and (understandably) afraid to come out? Did he do this for the publicity?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If they pulled his phone records they would see he never talked to her on the phone either I am willing to bet.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Yeah they need to put to rest this whole "Manti was TRICKED" bullshit. No way in this day and age a 21/22 year old dude dates a girl over the phone for a couple years and has never heard of skype/facetime/etc. Only question is whether this was done for the publicity or the gay. Since he didn't win the heisman I'm hoping it was for the gay just to add some more strange layers to the story.

scal_sl

shitlord
Tim Burke (the guy who blew the lid off this) is also a well known 'tripfag' on /sp/

If there's one thing that I'm sure of, it's that the internet is relentless with this stuff. I think he will continue to deny this as even more incriminating information piles up. However, Notre Dame's athletic director did not do itself a favor by backing Teo's victim story as rigidly as they did.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Apparently ESPN knew about it before the game but still ran the piece in the pregame specifically about her.

Already I'm seeing and hearing people rationalize this is why ND lost becuase Te'o told some teamates and they problably told more teamates and they were distracted. What a crock.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like how the Notre Dame AD cried during the Te'o press conference instead of the one after that videographer kid fell to his death.