Notre Dame Manti Te'o dead girlfriend a hoax

Well, whoever is behind the hoax is sure to get some internet justice lol.

I wonder how long until they are tracked down.

Not sure what this has to do with Te'o's football ability. If anything it exposes just how fanatical people get about the sport. I doubt there was anything illegal done unless the woman at the center of the hoax was paid by another football team?

The article says Te'o talked to somebody on the phone. I'm going to assume that he can at least tell the difference between a female and a male voice.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
That's why I'm interested. Does everyone think that being openly gay = no NFL career? It's a bit surprising to me that everyone seems to make this assumption in this day and age.
I think he'd probably still have a career, but it'd be a completely different experience. I think his draft stock would drop for starters, some teams might decide not to take him at all because of it, and there would definitely be guys on his teams that would treat him differently. It's understandable why he'd want to hide it if that is the reason for all this. He could never again just be another player on the team.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My take that pretty much proves his guilt:

*Moments after all this coming out Te'o immediately says he was duped. He doesn't even take any time to find out things for himself or self-investigate. Nope just immediately said "hoax."
*He was close to her. So close saying they were going to marry. Usually when people die they have a funeral. Are you telling me he didn't attend the funeral of this person when they died?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
His story is that she told him that she didn't want him to miss a game to come to her funeral. Total bullshit but that base was covered in a half-assed way.

My take that pretty much proves his guilt:

*Moments after all this coming out Te'o immediately says he was duped. He doesn't even take any time to find out things for himself or self-investigate. Nope just immediately said "hoax."
*He was close to her. So close saying they were going to marry. Usually when people die they have a funeral. Are you telling me he didn't attend the funeral of this person when they died?
His guilt of what? I'm trying to understand what possible reason Te'o would have for making up this elaborate story.

Tenks

Fame? Publicity? His face on ESPN?

Like they said on that interview Disp linked there are tons of reason for Te'o to make the hoax butabsolutely zeroreason to perpetrate the hoax. No one is going to stay on the phone with him all night for months "for the lulz."

Fame? Publicity? His face on ESPN?

Like they said on that interview Disp linked there are tons of reason for Te'o to make the hoax butabsolutely zeroreason to perpetrate the hoax. No one is going to stay on the phone with him all night for months "for the lulz."
I'd find Te'o being in on the hoax much more believable if it was a short term thing. For some reason I doubt a college football player would have time or desire to perpetrate a year long hoax.

I'm sure people will be tracking down all the details though. Electronic trails probably still exist out there.

I mean, assuming he did it for the publicity. How would he think the publicity would help his chances of getting into the NFL. Wouldn't teams be skeptical of a drama seeking player who lies? Assuming he did it to cover up for his alleged gayness, wouldn't the exposure of such a hoax put more scrutiny on him being gay in the first place?

It looks like Notre Dame hired an investigative firm to assess the situation before going public. I wonder if they will release their findings or if they will keep it private for now in the event of legal proceedings against those involved.

This is a list to help college football players from getting deceived in the future.

http://gawker.com/5976782/how-to-tel...=recirculation

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Bottom line: Who fucking cares? Does he 'owe' the public an explanation? Not really. Will the sports media demand an explanation? Yes. Were his actions that of a Brony/Btard/Robot? Yes.

Tenks

He probably saw Tebow, a know shitpile of a QB, get drafted in the first round on celebrity status

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Bottom line: Who fucking cares? Does he 'owe' the public an explanation? Not really.Will the sports media demand an explanation? Yes. Were his actions that of a Brony/Btard/Robot? Yes.
Maybe he doesn't necessarily owe the public an explanation, but you better believe NFL teams are going to be digging deep into this story and his life and if he doesn't come out clean on the other side (i.e. he better have a good explanation and have truly been the victim of a hoax) or he is going to have cost himself millions upon millions of dollars in draft stock.

My personal guess, not that I'm well informed enough to know what truly happened, is that he was the victim of a hoax, but then he exaggerated his relationship with the girlfriend (that he did believe existed) for his own personal gain in the form of public perception and sympathy.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Trollin. I actually wish now he would have won the Heisman to see all the shenanigans being called. Truly lol.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
And now we have the new internet craze...
rrr_img_9472.jpg

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
The more I read about it, the more the cover for being gay scenario makes sense. A long distance GF he only visits at random times when no one else is present covers the bases. However, early in his Sr year, he was starting to get press attention for awards. Can't take the fake GF to award shows and more attention = more questions = more possibility for exposure. Pretending to break up makes more sense, but having her fake die may keep people off your case a longer time. No one is going to ask where your new GF is when the previous one died.

ND would have good reason to back him, as it wouldn't be great for them if their football hero came out as gay. Hmm. Too early and too few details to draw conclusions, but interesting none the less.