NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I recall several articles warning that the 20x0 series was a weak initial implementation of new tech when they came out, and warning folks interested in raytracing stuff to wait for the next series.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm really looking forward to the salty, salty tears when a $400 card beats out a one year old $1000 card. There's gonna be some super furious nerds.

I'm going to build a shrine for my 1080ti. This bad boy stopped me from buying this generation of cards. And has been top end for 3 years now?

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I recall several articles warning that the 20x0 series was a weak initial implementation of new tech when they came out, and warning folks interested in raytracing stuff to wait for the next series.
Yeah I needed to buy a new card when the 20x0 came out and all the articles warning of that motivated me to but a used 1080ti instead. No regrets.

I'm thinking of buying a 3080 when this comes out.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

The cycle of graphics cards articles:

Six months until release... “Next card is going to blow everything away, hold out for the next gen. Gaming will be changed forever”

Card releases, all articles “It’s here, the card we have all been waiting for, buy the fuck out of it.”

Six months pass, sales droop, “Next card is going to blow everything away, hold out for the next gen. Gaming will be changed forever.”

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah I needed to buy a new card when the 20x0 came out and all the articles warning of that motivated me to but a used 1080ti instead. No regrets.

tenor.gif

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I got the 1070 4 years ago and have been happy with it. I will likely get a new card this upcoming series.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The cycle of graphics cards articles:

Six months until release... “Next card is going to blow everything away, hold out for the next gen. Gaming will be changed forever”

Card releases, all articles “It’s here, the card we have all been waiting for, buy the fuck out of it.”

Six months pass, sales droop, “Next card is going to blow everything away, hold out for the next gen. Gaming will be changed forever.”
Yeah computing tech journalism is all hype.

Meanwhile you go to communities like this one and it's a bunch of old dudes shrugging at Moore's Law and saying it's probably smart to skip generations.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Meanwhile you go to communities like this one and it's a bunch of old dudes shrugging at Moore's Law and saying it's probably smart to skip generations.

I’ve skipped like six generations. I’m smart as fuck.

• 11Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

One of my 980s finally gave up the ghost so picked up a 2080 rtx. Great card, runs everything I play at 1440 and nvidia surround much better than the 980's in sli. But don't really use the rtx, most of the games I play don't support it. Those that do, the card struggles in rtx at the resolutions I like to play.

Super version came out about a month after I bought it. Doh. But that's fine. Card is really just there to keep my rig up to date for another year, then build a new one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

I mean a lot of the tech journalism is for enthusiasts(who will buy the new cards every year anyway regardless) or people who are clueless and just looking to see what's the best at that point in time(which is always the most recent stuff).

There's a bunch of youtubers that do reviews that aren't as glowing. I remember when I checked last year, that long haired guy that does a lot of reviews had quite a lot of stuff to say about the 2080ti, like how it was stupid expensive and not really that good and RTX was a gimmick and how it was super expensive. He was pretty clear about it being only for people who cared about having the best card and it wasn't really worth the price at all and so on. I saw that echoed a few times when I was looking to buy one and looking into reviews.

But I'm sure his previews were more hype because nvidia was hyping it up too, so for this type of shit you need to wait for reviews that come out after they have the cards. Currently it's pointless it's just fucking rumors but even after nvidia announces theorical specs it'll be pointless until you get hands on reviews.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Is SLI still shit? I remember new games wouldn't patch it in until like a year after release. Still rocking a GTX 980 lol...

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is definitely still a thing it just isn't a thing mostly. Single cards perform well enough to hit most of your benchmarks you're gaming at. The last time I used it, right before my 980TI, support had gone up since the old days. But after the 980TI I never had a reason to. Nothing really required it. That I was doing anyways.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
anyone got a 5120 x 2160 gaming monitor yet? Does one exist?

I've seen a variety of 5120x1440 but none for x2160 - I don't think there will be any gaming ones available until the newer hdmi/dp standards are more common - 4k@10bit@120hz is already more bandwidth than either dp1.4 or hdmi 2.0 can handle.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
These need to hurry up and come out so I can put my 980ti to rest and move past 1080p.

• 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Got a $1000 budget for a 3XXX series card. I currently own a GTX 1080 and this will be my last major upgrade on my gaming PC for a while. From what I been reading rumors has it cards will cost half that price or a little more. Hopefully it's true.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Got a $1000 budget for a 3XXX series card. I currently own a GTX 1080 and this will be my last major upgrade on my gaming PC for a while. From what I been reading rumors has it cards will cost half that price or a little more. Hopefully it's true.
I highly doubt the cost going down rumors

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Expecting to pay like 2k for a 3090, but its about time they display something about something.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Still running off a 1080 that was an RMA replacement for my 980ti.

Overheated and crashed playing path of exile today. Hurry the fuck up Nvidia, I'm on borrowed time here