NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Still running off a 1080 that was an RMA replacement for my 980ti.

Overheated and crashed playing path of exile today. Hurry the fuck up Nvidia, I'm on borrowed time here
I found the beta vulcan renderer in POE was giving me all sorts of system issues. Went back to DX11 and while the performance was worse all the other system hangs/issues went away (1080ti).

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Is SLI still shit? I remember new games wouldn't patch it in until like a year after release. Still rocking a GTX 980 lol...

SLI/Crossfire doesn't work in almost any modern games anymore. There's still some gpu based workloads that can utilize it, but it's long dead for gaming.

spronk

FPS noob
apparently some chinese knock off company cloned the Cyberpunk 2080ti limited edition shrouds and people have been ordering and repackaging their own 2080ti's into it. it looks gorgeous, i don't give a shit about whats inside my PC to be motivated enough but i admire people with the dedication

3daiujvnl7951.jpg

m8470b4vjz951.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
By the time cyberpunk gets released I imagine they will have sold more swag type products than most other companies games themselves sell over there entire lifetime.(not the above obviously) But items like the above showing up before the game is released is insane.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I came across this the other day: LG 49NANO85UNA Alexa Built-In Nano 8 Series 49" 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Nanocell TV (2020)

Rtings review

Rtings review is mixed as a TV but looks good as monitor/PS5/XSX, with 4K/120, 2xHDMI 2.1, VRR, auto switch to game mode and pretty good lag but HDR sucks (350 nits) black levels weren't great. Price was really good for what you get, though (~$600US).

43" is a dead form factor. Its considered entry-level for TVs and nothing is coming out with anything you want on it. There are only a couple of 49"s that will be in the sweet spot. Monitors don't seem to be scaling up much, either, its all 27/32s. Until they bring OLEDs down to PC Monitors we may be stuck, and only because they will go through the bigger sizes first will we see for what we/I am looking.

I think the 3080TI/whatever the First non-Titan card is called will be something that drives 4K/120 well enough to warrant investing in a new monitor/TV as a monitor. With new consoles this year as well, I think it may be Kismet such that TV manufacturers have an interest in providing something worth upgrading to.

Last edited:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are they linking to full amazon searches instead of the actual product?

What's holding me back from buying a high end card is the concern that power is an addiction. Once you are using xx80ti's, you can't upgrade with a mid range card anymore. My previous card was a PNY GTX 950. That was very easy to upgrade (with a 1660ti), the 950 also was a clear upgrade over the 650ti I used before. But what if I had bought a 980ti back then? The 1660ti would have only been a very small upgrade over it. But feature creep is an issue when you run a 5-6 year old car, right? And you miss out on that power surge that you get when buying the latest high-end card. Which is where the addiction thing comes into play. Had I upgraded to a 980ti back then, I would have maxed out all details and still had the 60 fps sustained. I sure as fuck would have wanted that on my 2560x1080 display with 144hz. But the 1660ti doesn't have that kind of power, hence I'm only playing high details on everything. Just as I'm used to.

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Are they linking to full amazon searches instead of the actual product?

What's holding me back from buying a high end card is the concern that power is an addiction. Once you are using xx80ti's, you can't upgrade with a mid range card anymore. My previous card was a PNY GTX 950. That was very easy to upgrade (with a 1660ti), the 950 also was a clear upgrade over the 650ti I used before. But what if I had bought a 980ti back then? The 1660ti would have only been a very small upgrade over it. But feature creep is an issue when you run a 5-6 year old car, right? And you miss out on that power surge that you get when buying the latest high-end card. Which is where the addiction thing comes into play. Had I upgraded to a 980ti back then, I would have maxed out all details and still had the 60 fps sustained. I sure as fuck would have wanted that on my 2560x1080 display with 144hz. But the 1660ti doesn't have that kind of power, hence I'm only playing high details on everything. Just as I'm used to.
So here is my take. I've gone up and down a bit over the years. I had a 680 that died, and at the time I was broke as fuck so I think I got a 950. I ended up upgrading that to a 1060, and from there to a 2080. I'm highly likely to get the highest consumer card next gen whatever they name it (3090ti?). I feel like with the top end cards you are more willing to wait and skip generations, because you've got a card that's good enough. When you have the more midline cards you feel like you need to upgrade more often, because your card just isn't that good. In my case I'm upgrading again this round out of pure want because for the first time I have the money to truly build a top of the line PC. However, my 2080 struggles with nothing at 1440/144 and I'm completely happy with it. With it in a custom loop and overclocked to shit the thing almost never even hits 50c and is literally silent. So I certainly don't need to upgrade, and if I was being conscious about spending money I most definitely wouldn't until the 4 or 5 series.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did skip a whole generation every single time despite using low end budget cards. Won't say it didn't hurt in the final months of the 950, Far Cry 5 and 2nd Tomb Raider game from the reboot really didn't run that well on it. However a 960 wouldn't have lasted me much better I think and then there was the memory issue with the 970. Pretty sure I'll skip the 3000 series as well.

I'm not buying another xx50 card though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you're trying to optimize the function of great performance on the games you play vs cost over time I'm betting the best strategy is pretty simple for most of us: Upgrade your PC anytime you don't have good performance when a new super-demanding game comes out. A mid-range card (GTX 3060/3070) with comprobable cpu/ram that costs $1000 will almost certainly blow cyberpunk out of the water and provide great performance for anything for the next year and good performance for the next 2-3 years.

Spending $2000 for a top of the line system would extend that good performance for another year. It's pretty basic math at that point.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I went from 680 to 1070. Was about to upgrade shortly but I think waiting for the 3000 series will be worth it.

The whole bitcoin mining shit is over now right? So should be supply once they release?

Edit: will a 550w psu be too small for 2070/3070?

Last edited:

Nola

Trakanon Raider
A mid-range card (GTX 3060/3070) with comprobable cpu/ram that costs $1000 will almost certainly blow cyberpunk out of the water and provide great performance for anything for the next year and good performance for the next 2-3 years.
What's considered comparable cpu/ram? I have 32gigs of ram with a Ryzen 3700x.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I went from 680 to 1070. Was about to upgrade shortly but I think waiting for the 3000 series will be worth it.

The whole bitcoin mining shit is over now right? So should be supply once they release?

Edit: will a 550w psu be too small for 2070/3070?
PSU no idea, I'd think 550w should be enough but might depend on what else you have in there and stuff, there's websites to calculate that, also the quality of the PSU matters.

Bitcoin mining is still going but it doesn't seem to affect newer cards as much, because it's a lot more cost efficient to buy several 1080s than to buy 2080s, so it mostly make old cards worth more for resale but doesn't affect availability too much for new models, at least it seems like it. The original prices of the 2000s series were somewhat high due to 1080s being hard to find, but shouldn't be the case for the 3000s.

And yeah it'd be worth it waiting a few more months for a 3000 most likely, if only to see prices drop on the 2000s if you want to get that instead. They're planned for fall so it's not that long now.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's considered comparable cpu/ram? I have 32gigs of ram with a Ryzen 3700x.
Depending on what you're optimizing for, if you're buying a mid-range card you probably spend the same amount on cpu / ram. If you're spending more on the GPU or are very focused on demanding but optimized AAA games, spend more on the gpu over the cpu.

I do development on my gaming pc and play shitty unoptimized games like everquest so cpu is more important to me.

Last edited:

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I'm still rocking my Asus R9 380 with 4gb and you guys have already been replacing 1080s.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Well, like Ronne, my 980ti ate it and got replaced by a 1080. But since I recently got an ultra wide I'm needing more power for newer games.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
PSU no idea, I'd think 550w should be enough but might depend on what else you have in there and stuff, there's websites to calculate that, also the quality of the PSU matters.

Bitcoin mining is still going but it doesn't seem to affect newer cards as much, because it's a lot more cost efficient to buy several 1080s than to buy 2080s, so it mostly make old cards worth more for resale but doesn't affect availability too much for new models, at least it seems like it. The original prices of the 2000s series were somewhat high due to 1080s being hard to find, but shouldn't be the case for the 3000s.

And yeah it'd be worth it waiting a few more months for a 3000 most likely, if only to see prices drop on the 2000s if you want to get that instead. They're planned for fall so it's not that long now.
Wow you weren't kidding. People selling my card for 220-260 bucks on auction sites, that's half the money for a 2070 at least. Thought it would be like 50 bucks.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Depending on what you're optimizing for, if you're buying a mid-range card you probably spend the same amount on cpu / ram. If you're spending more on the GPU or are very focused on demanding but optimized AAA games, spend more on the gpu over the cpu.

I do development on my gaming pc and play shitty unoptimized games like everquest so cpu is more important to me.
Yeah makes sense. I stream every once in a while and I make alot YT gaming videos. I don't really play any graphic intensive games. The only one I would say is Witcher 3 as of now. The only two games I'm looking forward to and will be is playing Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. As long my system with a 3XXX card can play Cyberpunk and BG3 on highest settings at 1440p with good framerate I'm happy.

Last edited: