NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't even know how much GPU's help with WoW
4k 144hz is the only situation I could see it making a difference as it's going to almost always be the CPU bottlenecking you. My 1080ti hits 70% usage max with everything set to max and running up to 144fps.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Apparently if you create an Office Depot account and add a 3080 to “my list” it will let you checkout with the item on back order. Using PayPal doesn’t debit your account until it ships. Decent way to lock into a card and cancel if you can snag another

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4k 144hz is the only situation I could see it making a difference as it's going to almost always be the CPU bottlenecking you. My 1080ti hits 70% usage max with everything set to max and running up to 144fps.
So my R7 1700 isn't good enough to maintain 2560 1080 at 144fps?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So my R7 1700 isn't good enough to maintain 2560 1080 at 144fps?
Resolution doesn't matter in this case. It's the FPS. There's an extra draw call for every frame, and all of them get saddled onto a single core. In areas where there isn't much going on like fewer entities and models, it won't be a problem. But then there's areas like Suramar which are more than twice as demanding as a typical Cataclysm zone

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So basically you still want a stupid fast core on the CPU, no matter how many cores?
Yeah, IPC is still king when it comes to older games and MMO's. As far as I know, Intel still beats AMD at this, but not by much thanks to the new chips. This only really matters if you're chasing high refresh rates though, which really aren't that big a deal in MMO's. All it really accomplishes is making horizontal camera movement smoother to look at, compared to FPS games or competitive games where it's far more important. I cap my WoW at 100 FPS even though I can hit 144, just because the difference isn't worth the extra heat and fan noise.

nu_11

Yeah, IPC is still king when it comes to older games and MMO's. As far as I know, Intel still beats AMD at this, but not by much thanks to the new chips.
IPC = instructions per clock

AMD is better at this not Intel. Intel is only competitive at high clock speeds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Scored a 3070 finally after basically living with that stockdrops discord open for the past week. Figure i can use it for a month or three until i get a 3080 stress free and get my money back when i flip it. CP2020 ready!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Scored a 3070 finally after basically living with that stockdrops discord open for the past week. Figure i can use it for a month or three until i get a 3080 stress free and get my money back when i flip it. CP2020 ready!
Link to this discord?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
The drops sell out so quickly that i wouldn't bank on the alerts. The main channel moves fast but it's the fastest way i know to get direct links. Newegg is whoring out most of their product in combo deals with ram, psus, mobos.... but their return policy allows for breaking up the combo and sending back the bits you don't need. How i just spent $840 on a $560 evga 3070. cest la vie, extra steps.

With that said, Newegg has been releasing 5900s every hour, and random amd and nvidia drops between, for the past couple hours.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOOOOOOOOOL

LOOOOOL.PNG

• 1Picard
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think were just quickly entering a new age where its too easy for anyone with motivation to game the system. This shit is going on EVERYWHERE. For example, here is what people are doing for ammunition(its increased by 3-5x what it was pre corona) for firearms;

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Welcome to the last decade of online shopping lol?

It's just happening to a particular thing you care about currently, but it's definitely not new.

• 1Mother of God

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe for the retarded sneakerheads where theyre fighting over idiotic flyby night shoe releases. But for large scale flagship products like these I dont recall it being like this 2-3 years ago.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think were just quickly entering a new age where its too easy for anyone with motivation to game the system. This shit is going on EVERYWHERE. For example, here is what people are doing for ammunition(its increased by 3-5x what it was pre corona) for firearms;

Ammo doesn't require shipping from east Asia, it doesn't require rare materials, it doesn't require subcomponents manufactured only by a handful of companies, it's not particularly complex to make - yet this works?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In the US unless you want imported ammo (some use it, many don't if it can be avoided) it's limited by a limited number of companies that make primers which also limits reloaders. Not brass, not gunpowder, not bullets, not even loading them together. Reason primer prices are off the chart, as usual. LOT of gun rish and ammo poor people in the US that do not stock up in salad days when it's at record low prices. Happens every time like clockwork lol. I don't have kids, or I could say I have enough ammo to last through my kids liftetime :) Hard to stockpile graphics cards for a lean time. Limited lifetime on them.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity