NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Only really in single-core and dual-core performance - by around 5%. In OC situations, it also beats the 10900 in quad-core performance, by about 3%, but I NEVER OC shit. In "average" quad-core performance, they're basically equal. But, the 10900 seems to be about 7% faster in octa core performance. It also is slightly less power efficient than the 5800, using around 125w versus 105 on the 5800. 10900 obviously smokes the fuck out of it in multi-core mixed speed, but that's for server-based shit that probably won't matter.
Doesn't the 10900K actually use a hell of a lot more than 125W?

"During those tests, we recorded up to 332W of power consumption when paired with either the Corsair H115i 280mm AIO watercooler or a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler."

Second source:

1615420439758.png

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Can't find a 5900, but you expect me to be able to find a 3090? Lulz. There's no fucking way I'm paying $1500 for a GPU, even if I was able to skimp and pay only $100 for a CPU.
Did you see if Springbok has one for sale?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

"During those tests, we recorded up to 332W of power consumption when paired with either the Corsair H115i 280mm AIO watercooler or a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler."

Second source:

View attachment 341099
Looking forward to the future of having a PSU for the CPU and another for the GPU.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Second source:

View attachment 341099
I don't know what people really expect? Obviously the 10900 is a power hog, but consumption rates aren't really likely to go down. 100w difference is obviously big for what is otherwise pretty minor performance differences, but I just don't know why people expect to be able to power modern computers on a 500w power supply forever.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Can't find a 5900, but you expect me to be able to find a 3090? Lulz. There's no fucking way I'm paying $1500 for a GPU, even if I was able to skimp and pay only $100 for a CPU.
My real point was that for a lot of people, the 5600X is not at all inferior to a 5900X until some much, much better GPUs come out and more programs other than benchmarks and content creation actually optimize for more cores.

Jovec

?
You can tune any CPU to run at the listed power draw. I've run my 3950 at 95w under P95 small FFTs or 230w. My 3700x at 65w or 140w full load P95. 5800x at 95-150w. You need to look at like-for-like, same-site reviews and understand methodology. Intel gives recommend turbo guidance for clocks and power draw (tau) which the CPU is supposed to run at for the initial 50 seconds (?) of the load, after that, it is supposed to drop down in draw. But mobo makers almost always all tune their defaults to override these settings, so they can run at (much) higher power draw and rely on thermals to throttle (side note - back in the AMD Bulldozer days, one mobo manufacturer was gaming the temp sensor reporting to trick the CPU into thermally throttling, because otherwise the CPU would exceed it's 125w TDP and their boards weren't able to handle it).

AVX-512 on Intel is it's own special variance regarding power draw (often this is the Peak power value in reviews), but also crushes AMD in performance on this type of workload.

Last edited:

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm really fucking tempted to pull the trigger on a 10900k. 5900x is just flat impossible to find.
I got one on Kijiji for 150$ under retail sealed in the box. A bunch of 5950xs dropped at a local store and there were quite a few people dumping their 5900s for retail or a bit below. I for sure hit the lottery but its a clear cycle that happens every time the local stores restock. I ended up dumping the savings into a 2TB SN850 pcie4 M2 drive. Going from an Intel 4700k with an old
Sata ssd to M2 and 5900x is like another world.

Also is it impossible to buy any decent hardware without RGB? My pc looks like the Vegas strip.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got one on Kijiji for 150$ under retail sealed in the box. A bunch of 5950xs dropped at a local store and there were quite a few people dumping their 5900s for retail or a bit below. I for sure hit the lottery but its a clear cycle that happens every time the local stores restock. I ended up dumping the savings into a 2TB SN850 pcie4 M2 drive. Going from an Intel 4700k with an old
Sata ssd to M2 and 5900x is like another world.

Also is it impossible to buy any decent hardware without RGB? My pc looks like the Vegas strip.
It is. Only rgb my new pc has is the evga logo on the 3070. It’s usually cheaper without the rgb too. However in the current market you basically have to take whatever the hell is available for some things.

Molten Core Raider
You have to go out of your way to avoid the RGB it seems like. I didnt want any RGB in my latest build but couldnt get around it on my ram and video card. I tried to offset it with a case that has tinted, tempered glass on the side. The RGB is still visible, but it's a bit muted rather than looking like carnival lights.

Jovec

?

Typically easy to disable though, either via BIOS (some mobos allow the reset button to be repurposed as an off/on switch for RGB) or by using the correctg RGB software mode and setting everything to the off/blackout mode.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
11900k comes out in 1-2 weeks.
Yeah, I'm curious to see what the benchmarks look like once they are released. That's probably the only thing that stopped me from buying a 10900 today. If the cost/benefit isn't really there, I'm probably just doing to grab a 10900. I have a 850w PSU, so I'm not overly concerned with what a power hog they are. If I was running a 3090 or something I would be, but I'm still slumming it up with a fucking 1660 Super. But this 3570k and DDR2 memory is really starting to tilt my ass.

I'm fucking all-in on RGB. I used to be triggered by it, but I fucking love it now. To the point that I've redone my office with an RGB LED lamp for the corner and RGB backlights for my monitors. I'd like to stay a solid color for the PC though - much classier.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I got the cheapest aio water cooler, DDR 3200 ram and motherboard available and its lit up like a Christmas tree. But my 2 yr just sits there in my computer chair saying "Woah, awesome. Good job daddy." watching the lights. I was surprised how interested she was while I was putting it together too, she made me explain everything I was doing. I'd shut the lights off but she really loves them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user