NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Some stirrings now that Biden invoke the defense act to shift critical silicon chips to the auto industry since they're shutting down. Politicians involved in tech, what could go wrong?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A coworker of mine knows someone who works at Chrysler I believe. They offered their workers a voluntary 3 months of paid time off.

Those kind of layoffs have never made sense to me. Sure you retain the worker but at full cost. What good is that really doing the company? I’d say lay off the shitbags and have the rest do shit like scrub floors and paint walls or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
A coworker of mine knows someone who works at Chrysler I believe. They offered their workers a voluntary 3 months of paid time off.

Those kind of layoffs have never made sense to me. Sure you retain the worker but at full cost. What good is that really doing the company? I’d say lay off the shitbags and have the rest do shit like scrub floors and paint walls or something.
Unions, man, unions. Cant have a line worker or other mop floors, that shit is sacrilege man.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Make them sit at their line and mop their own floor for 40 hours a week then!
I agree, but shit does not work that way.

Ive told this story here before but once I worked at a Ford facility as an engineer. I was a scrub jobie as were 90% of the people there. But the computers and everything in the office were all Ford owned. So one day they tell us we need to move to another part of the office. Basically about 200-300 feet. SO the union was called out to move our computers. I shit you not, there was one dude that came out to unplug the thing, another to package it all up, then a 3rd to move the damn thing, then more of the same to set it back up, then union IT dude to make sure itwas all working right in the new place which the manager had to write IT tickets to do. All this and they gave us all a week off paid to do this. A FUCKING WEEK to move 15 or so computers 200 feet! While they of course lost productivity for an entire week.

Thats what the modern unions add to the workplace.

• 1WTF

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I agree, but shit does not work that way.

Ive told this story here before but once I worked at a Ford facility as an engineer. I was a scrub jobie as were 90% of the people there. But the computers and everything in the office were all Ford owned. So one day they tell us we need to move to another part of the office. Basically about 200-300 feet. SO the union was called out to move our computers. I shit you not, there was one dude that came out to unplug the thing, another to package it all up, then a 3rd to move the damn thing, then more of the same to set it back up, then union IT dude to make sure itwas all working right in the new place which the manager had to write IT tickets to do. All this and they gave us all a week off paid to do this. A FUCKING WEEK to move 15 or so computers 200 feet! While they of course lost productivity for an entire week.

Yeah, I've worked around them and in union buildings although I've never worked under the union. I fucking hate them, they are nothing but grifters that enable laziness and unproductivity.

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, I've worked around them and in union buildings although I've never worked under the union. I fucking hate them, they are nothing but grifters that enable laziness and unproductivity.
Same thing at a place I worked at. Union did all the unboxing and tabling. So much value! I used to hide their hand trucks whenever I found one unattended.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

3 months of your pay is nothing to most companies. Actual worker compensation is such a small percent of revenue for most companies. There are much more significant costs to having to rehire people, especially if the economy heats up and new people are hard to find. Add to this the fact that most new hires are fucking useless for their first 6 months in most jobs that require any type of skill at all.

You have many large companies that literally pay people to voluntarily quit in large numbers:

I'm sure that if Chrysler thought that the slowdown would be longer than 3 months they would be doing this.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I wonder how many places still have union presence in them. I'm excluding large manufacturing and the like. A company started a telco and it was nearly all outsourced. Union installers making $70k+ vs non union installers starting at $17 an hour. At one point I know a lot of union jobs at a telco went away because I saw a few of them working at Lowe's.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how many places still have union presence in them. I'm excluding large manufacturing and the like. A company started a telco and it was nearly all outsourced. Union installers making $70k+ vs non union installers starting at $17 an hour. At one point I know a lot of union jobs at a telco went away because I saw a few of them working at Lowe's.

The Utility I work at is split based on the individual opco. It really made it difficult starting out b/c I didn't know if a technician was union or not b/c I work with everyone across the whole service territory. Actually almost had grievances filed against me twice for doing "union" work b/c I was just trying to help out and forgot that this particular crew was union when the crew in Monroe, LA doing the exact same job function isn't and doesn't care if I help or not. I have a very different approach with the unionized guys and pretty much throw my hands in the air and tell them to handle it themselves whereas I'll gladly work overtime with some of the others to troubleshoot stuff. And the union guys are just very happy to tell you how much money they're making being on call out, overtime, holiday, and strongly encourage me to schedule all my changes after hours and on weekends!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The flip side is that the reason Verizon FIOS install/service techs are actually good is they still use union techs instead of independent contractors with polo shirts in their vans from 5 different companies like all the cable companies do.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Please keep posting when you actually see availability, I have a super nice pc just missing a graphics card (would really like a 3800), and my wife needs an entirely new pc (would also love a 3800). I keep missing all these prebuilts >_<

And yeah, small town with no electronics store, so I can't do the "wait in front of x store every WED" method.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
When I worked for the school department, the union shit was a total shitshow. A union custodian would not touch, clean or move a table or desk with a computer on it, or even Windex a computer monitor, so the network technician (me) had to do it. Any time the floors had to be washed in a room with a computer, I had to move any desks/tables with computers on them. I also had to assemble any new office furniture that was designated specifically for computers to sit on (so the desks in a typing lab for instance) which is basically what I would spend all summer doing until the new PCs came in for new lab deployments.

• 1WTF

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well I know the big 3 have huge union presence int hem still.

2nd story was my wife being hired into Ford as a 90 day temp worker at a warehouse parts facility. Another fucking joke. They had to hire entire teams of 90 dayers (actually 89 days, because on the 90th day union laws state they need to be hired full time) to come into work because the union dudes could not handle it. But it was quickly revealed why....

So my wife went in there blind and not knowing WTF is going on there. So just like any good employee you work your ass off, right? Oh but no, cant do that! She was quickly cornered by the union workers and told to slow the fuck down. You see they had union negotiated "quotas" they had to meet but never exceed, because if they did, they would have to renegotiate the quotas, right? So it was basically do as little as possible to meet quota and then fuck off the rest of the day/night. This was no hard job either BTW. It was literally given a list of parts to pick off shelves, go around with a big shoppping cart and collect, mostly all small parts, biggest being break rotors, and then the carts would be handed off to the packers with the list which would then box the shit up and send them off.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Please keep posting when you actually see availability, I have a super nice pc just missing a graphics card (would really like a 3800), and my wife needs an entirely new pc (would also love a 3800). I keep missing all these prebuilts >_<

And yeah, small town with no electronics store, so I can't do the "wait in front of x store every WED" method.
Keep checking Reddit buildapcsales.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Exxon refinery in Baytown, TX is currently locking out the steelworkers union. Don't see strikes and lockouts near as much as you used to unfortunately.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Exxon refinery in Baytown, TX is currently locking out the steelworkers union. Don't see strikes and lockouts near as much as you used to unfortunately.

Maybe they’ll mostly peaceful the refinery to the ground.

Fucker

Log Wizard
The flip side is that the reason Verizon FIOS install/service techs are actually good is they still use union techs instead of independent contractors with polo shirts in their vans from 5 different companies like all the cable companies do.
The electric company briefly outsourced line maintenance. I guess one too many popped transformers made them change their mind. I was watching one crew clear branches and I had to tell them to watch what they were doing with their bucket because electricity does not fuck around. I found out later the guy running the bucket juiced himself on overheard lines. I can't imagine what other shenanigans those crews were up to, but it must have been bad because the outsourcing was a very brief experiment.

• 1Like