NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Can goods at stores getting in short supply. Aluminum getting hard to get. Thinking graphics cards are about to be the least of the problem. Just in time logistics worked great, till it didn't. Chlorine for pools is real short. Chemicals feed the few things we actually still make in the US. They took two hurricane hits, the TX free and shipping problems.

Here in the poorest state in the union McDonalds is hiring at $16.50/hour. Amazon going to $15/hour to push out what competition they have left.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Can goods at stores getting in short supply. Aluminum getting hard to get. Thinking graphics cards are about to be the least of the problem. Just in time logistics worked great, till it didn't. Chlorine for pools is real short. Chemicals feed the few things we actually still make in the US. They took two hurricane hits and shipping problems.
Aluminum has been short for a year now

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The 5600X posted at MSRP on Amazon the other day originally gave me a delivery date of May 26-30. Got an email today that it's been updated to arrive on the 20th. I don't know what that means for supply, if anything, but figured I'd mention it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well my local stores are not accepting the cans like they did before, dont know why. Some stores even set $10 limits on cans returned. And I have about $200-$300 in cans in my garage.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Comparing truck driving and plumbing in the same sentence is ridiculous. Becoming a licensed plumber/electrician/etc requires an apprenticeship/journeyman/etc, and in most states, the steps to get onto that career path are intentionally obscured in order to create scarcity in those professions. There should be some national effort to make the steps to enter these occupations more accessible, like making these programs available and financial-aid-eligible at all publicly funded community colleges.

Truck driving on the other hand has tons of entry-level positions available, it's just that Amazon is paying 17-18 dollars to start (or more in some markets) for anyone with a valid driver's license to start. While there are higher-level licenses to be obtained, there is an easy entry-level path. UPS pays even more from what I'm aware of. Companies that want to pay 12-15 dollars for drivers are just plain fucked, and if they can't compete with Amazon or UPS, well, fuck 'em.
Well in my state I see interernet ads for hiring all kinds of trades. And no, in order to become plumber you dont have to take college courses lol. Its on the job training and then maybe a test at some point for certification. This is not some math degree were dealing with here. Mostly knowing local codes and shit like that. I know plenty of people in the trades. The only trade that reuires specialized training is electrician and well, we shroud guess as to why.

Same shit like teruck drivers, the real truck drivers need certification. Im not talking about your local Amazon van drivers, and pizza delivery lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well in my state I see interernet ads for hiring all kinds of trades. And no, in order to become plumber you dont have to take college courses lol.
You intentionally mis-quoted me or missed the point because you're stupid, pick one.

The point being that financial aid can generally only be used for degree-granting programs. Programs that are certification-based or apprenticeship based generally do not qualify, despite the fact that they frequently have better job prospects and contribute to the tax base better than many entry-level jobs for people with useless degrees. Plumbers, electricians, HVAC installers, or even IT-centric roles like network technician or datacenter engineer are focused around certifications. A CCNA or a VMware cert will get you an 60k a year job pretty easily, but you can only get those certifications paid for if you go to a community college that bundles them up into a 2 year degree, when you could actually just get the cert in 1or 2 8 week classes.

The path to getting any of these jobs should be better advertised and less obscured. Getting more people into these licensed or certified professions is the fastest way to grow the tax base.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The path to getting any of these jobs should be better advertised and less obscured. Getting more people into these licensed or certified professions is the fastest way to grow the tax base.
It isn't just the obscurity though. Like you said, a lot of the issue is that getting into a "well-paying" plumber/trades job requires a fucking ton of red tape and being a complete bitch boy on jobsites that has to crawl under houses in the sweltering heat for $20/hour. Nobody wants to do that kind of work for $20, when you can just go pack boxes all day (in a sometimes cooled warehouse)for $17/hour.

Truck driving on the other hand has tons of entry-level positions available, it's just that Amazon is paying 17-18 dollars to start (or more in some markets) for anyone with a valid driver's license to start. While there are higher-level licenses to be obtained, there is an easy entry-level path. UPS pays even more from what I'm aware of. Companies that want to pay 12-15 dollars for drivers are just plain fucked, and if they can't compete with Amazon or UPS, well, fuck 'em.
Being a UPS driver isn't that easy. It requires a shitload of seniority in the union to be able to become a line-haul or parcel truck driver. Parcel truck drivers actually make a solid 60k+/year, but you're looking at a likely 5 year seniority minimum and guess what you're making until then? $10-12/hour to unload and load trucks all day, many of them filled with tires and other bullshit. Obviously, most people don't make it the 5+ years. You're also usually forced to be part-time, unless it's peak season. And if they have to cut labor hours due to volume and a worker with more seniority doesn't want to go home? Guess what? Enjoy your 10 hours a week.

Liquor distribution is starting to breakdown in South Florida right now, because companies can't find people to hire and they are losing people. Supposedly Amazon just poached a ton of warehouse people from liquor distributors. Combine that with drivers having been hard to hire for a long time, and they are getting away from this type of stuff en masse. Deliveries are starting to be days late consistently, which is a problem when you are normally getting deliveries twice a week. It's only going to get worse too, as people start trying to order more product in advance because they aren't getting what they order in a timely manner.

It's a shit show.
Yup. Global supply chains are really starting to buckle. Especially after the Evergreen cocked shit up. We're seeing this bad in my industry of e-commerce and my boss is starting to come down on us in the transportation department and it's like, "What exactly do you want us to do, bro? None of these fucking ships have any room and they're constantly bumping us anyways, because other carriers will pay more."

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Being a UPS driver isn't that easy. It requires a shitload of seniority in the union to be able to become a line-haul or parcel truck driver. Parcel truck drivers actually make a solid 60k+/year, but you're looking at a likely 5 year seniority minimum and guess what you're making until then? $10-12/hour to unload and load trucks all day, many of them filled with tires and other bullshit. Obviously, most people don't make it the 5+ years. You're also usually forced to be part-time, unless it's peak season. And if they have to cut labor hours due to volume and a worker with more seniority doesn't want to go home? Guess what? Enjoy your 10 hours a week.
I’ve known some people that have worked as UPS truck loaders and drivers and it’s a pretty physically rough job too. There is some heavy shit and lots of 12+ hour days of lugging heavy awkward shaped shit at breakneck speed tears you up. The drivers at least get a slight break in the chair when driving but it’s still short. The loaders it’s nothing but lift and load full speed ahead. A 100 lb girl I work with tried it part time and she only lasted a week. Her legs were just ankle to thigh bruises and they had no sympathy for her. It was just hustle, hustle or leave.

The drivers I know were more like $90k a year due to OT but it beat them down pretty bad as they got older.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What I got into the industry doing doesn't require anything, not even a high school diploma in the US. 100% on the job training. Requires a college degree or trade school in Canada and there's two that offer it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Wtf kind of autist are you? Jesus
He lives on the edge. He buys lotto tickets and throws them away without looking at them. He was also Chuck Norris's bodyguard for a few years. There are some men for whom fate will not trifle with.

He is one of those men.

• 1Rustled

Fadaar

That guy
LOL, maybe the problem is that ever since 1980s its been drilled down out throats to COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY, why would you want to be a truck driver or plumber? So the age of the snowflake comes. And here we are masses of people who think they are too good to do honest necessary jobs because they have a degree in african science or aborigines hut making.

Trucking jobs pay well, so do trades.

Yeah college is a fucking scam unless you're aiming for something that specifically needs it ie medical, engineering, etc. Me and everyone else I work work in an aircraft factory working the test department, I probably make the least and I'm well over $30/hr. If you count shift differential of 10% for the guys working nights and weekends there's quite a few making over 40. The path we all took to get there? Military enlistment in some sort of aviation job, we have bodies from all branches. Four years getting paid the whole time with the option once you're finished to go to college for FREE or transition right into a real career? Fuck college.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of the biggest computer parts dealer in Switzerland announced they will have 1500 cards available the 12th of may (including of course 3070, 3080 and 3090 + a few amd ones).

Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel ?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You keep boxes for years? I bought this aio almost two years ago now.
Here’s a couple examples of yes, yes I do. I generally keep pc related stuff and use them to store random spare parts and cables.

I don’t have time to dig out my NES and PS1 stuff right now but I have those too!

D67EE103-5252-4EC0-9972-F7486717FC2F.jpeg
7E78521C-B5EF-4859-B259-7DB308048F70.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I keep some spare parts and boxes but not most, i hate keeping shit around i dont use.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I keep some spare parts and boxes but not most, i hate keeping shit around i dont use.
The ones I throw away I just cut out any serial numbers or barcodes first and store those in the box I decide to keep all the spare stuff in.