NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Still using my old RX580. I only have a 1080p monitor so it runs everything fine still. Regardless i'm glad new gen is coming. Do we think he mid range cards will surpass ps5 or will that not be for a few year?

Buying a ps5 as i have a 4k tv and already use that and ps pro for most gaming now. Plus my income got screwed by virus so im gonna wait till around fall
i reckon the mid range from this gen will be out so ill buy whatever the best 200 to 300 dollar card so long as its superior to consoles. Otherwise ill wait another year or two

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Keep in mind consoles always do some weird shit with graphics and GPU's to get the specs. I mean, a PS4 on paper looked nice but playing bloodborne at 20FPS made it questionable. I'd argue that consoles will be nowhere close to consumer PC cards. I think they serve a purpose, but they can't be compared. No matter what people say, PS5 < PC

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
  • 1Truth!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
the 3xxx series has far better/faster DLSS/RTX implementation than the 2xxx series so it'll definitely be better just for that, thats really half of the "trick" that is going to allow the PS5/XSEX be really capable at launch compared to current PCs too. The other half being native PCIE 4.0 SSDs with custom firmware plus shared memory for CPU/GPU

it does suck though that nowadays half or more of what is "new and shiny" is shit you can't really obviously tell without seeing it in person, like HDR and RTX and OLED and VR

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a 2080ti, so unlikely to upgrade until 4000 series. Right now I'm on a 1440p ultrawide 100hz monitor, though. I want to upgrade to something higher refresh in the same resolution, though.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
  • 1EyeRoll

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Is there any reason to upgrade from a gtx 1080 to a 2080 other than just because I want one? Only games I'm looking forward to is Baldura Gate 3 (which my 1080 shoule be more than enough) and Cyberpunk 2077 which has me wondering if I should upgrade. Plus I'm really considering getting Cyberpunk for the PS4.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I have a dual monitor setup and my gaming monitor I play using a Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27 1440p resolution at 144hertz.
Probably not, especially if you're getting Cyberpunk for PS4 as it should be FPS locked at 60FPS.

You'll only need to hit that 144 FPS for your monitor at max settings if you're playing shooters, which you're not. So you should definitely be fine with the 1080 for a while.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Probably not, especially if you're getting Cyberpunk for PS4 as it should be FPS locked at 60FPS.

You'll only need to hit that 144 FPS for your monitor at max settings if you're playing shooters, which you're not. So you should definitely be fine with the 1080 for a while.
Yeah I dont play FPSers anymore. Mainly ARPGs like PoE and RPGs games and sometimes MMOs. So is it really necessary to have my refresh rate at 144 or I can drop it lowers to like 120? As long I can play at 1440 with good framerates I'm happy.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the dell runs great at 120hz thats what I used to run mine at, i'd recommend at some point though upgrading to an IPS monitor (the 2716DG is TN) as the colors are way more vibrant/pop. I went last year from a 2716DG gSync to a Alienware AW3418DW (newer model below), it goes on sale for $500-600 regularly and is great. Replaced two monitors with one single one.

I still wait for a great 144hz, gsync, HDR 34" monitor thats not $5k+

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I have been using TVs as monitors for more than a decade now, since you could get big TVs that did good(ish jobs) at massive sizes (shoutout to the Westy 38 back in the day) and then South Korean 43" perfect TVs that were amazing 4K monitors, then LGs and finally Sonys. Since Hurricane Harvey I have been on Sony X720s which are great but I keep hearing that this is the year we are going to get non-OLED (burn-in/image persistence concerns me) 4K 120Hz G-Sync TVs with HDMI 2.1 from some, perhaps Samsung? Maybe not at desktop sizes may be the only rub but here's to hoping that we do get them at 50-55ish and then I can mount them up and the wall and be done and reclaim the desktop space. Or that someone will make a monitor that is 43" that does all the same stuff.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hope 2020 finally brings 4K monitors into the mainstream. Lots of them in the pipeline.

A 1080TI can already run GTA:V at 4K at very high settings at a solid 60FPS. Tarkov for me on a 4K TV runs around 50FPS with dips into 40's. I imagine the next gen cards will finally make it all possible at 100hz+.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Disagree. After playing 144 so long I cannot do anything at 60

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users