NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Look, homeslice spent 5k on a PC. That is 1990 money. Who is going to gouge him over a $350 power supply? I mean, Other than MicroCenter, but come on. You splurged out man, and if you have it, good on you. That RAM price is baller, 32GB for 160 bucks? Awesome. This time last year any power supply was super expensive, just pretend you bought it last year. That proc is Top of the line and Top of the pocket book as well. So What? It was never going to be cheap.

At any time that would have been a $3500 system. You just paid a Brandon Global Pandemic Surcharge of $1500. Also, Fuck MicroCenter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Why is everyone so down on MC? I thought that it was the place to go for PC parts if you had one in your area.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Why is everyone so down on MC? I thought that it was the place to go for PC parts if you had one in your area.

They are. They usually are MSRP on most items. Rarely had sales minus open boxes about anything you cared about. You expected that. But prices were fair. Now they are following scalper prices on a few key items. Hence the hate.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
They are. They usually are MSRP on most items. Rarely had sales minus open boxes about anything you cared about. You expected that. But prices were fair. Now they are following scalper prices on a few key items. Hence the hate.
Look and I will admit its my personal feelings. I love microcenter, or did; they had great prices and good service I appreciate what they normally do but scalpers are the devil. They don't keep the economy going; they drain the economy of productive funds, in the same way that corruption, graft, and piracy ruins economies.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The biggest kicks to the nuts were

3900x Matisse ----> 5950x
MSI X570 Tomahawk ----> Asus ROG Dark Hero
850w Seasonic -----> 1,300w EVGA

Pretty senseless overkill. I wanted no motherboard fan and a few other offerings of the Dark Hero, pushed it over the edge in the moment.

What happened was I got locked out of my Microcenter account while in the store because it's sensitive to just 2 failed password attempts-- and requires a support ticket created to unlock again, which wasn't happening. I just drove a fucking hour to get there. And the sales rep had some problems at one of the terminals so on the walk over to a new terminal he was already building energy since now he got to interject on every single part and took control of the interaction as if it's a build from scratch. Which it was from scratch, since I got locked out of my account.

"Not much difference on the 3900x in gaming, but Steam loaded faster for me with the 5950x. It was noticeable, there's no loading pause at all". Ehhhhhhh OK, sold.

The PSU had to be worked up from 1,000w and I still don't know how we got to 1,300w. It had to do with the efficiency ratings. The 1000w wasn't the rating I wanted to keep from the 850w. So he whipped out the 1,300 and said X dollars more. Followed by killer pauses and freezing of hands. "Take a look". IDK. Try looking again. Oh I guess since I can't get the 1,000w I'm looking for. "You want the extra power for the eventual 3090, next gen anyway. 1,000w could cap". In my head im thinking no way AMD chipset is going to cap at 1,000w. It was sleight of hand since he had control of the terminal and was taking the order.

View attachment 378255

Ram fine
NVME fine tho the xpg blade outperforms the 980pro and SN850
windows is 20 bucks from keyoff
5950x --- depends on the use but im downgrading from my own because i only play TFT lol - However i havent opened my 5900x because i may go to AlderLake next month
6800XT price is rape
That PSU is criminal - i run my entire custom loop build on 850 PSU and i use way more power than your system
The fans i guess are preference since Unifans would have been much cheaper for another 1k id have sold you my entire setup!

Dam i just notice this build price includes only 1 NVME :/

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

MC is gouging on the same items the scalpers are. 1500 for a 6580XT? AMD direct has that shit for 649! No way you can convince me any AIB version is worth double or beyond. I go to MC a couple times a week but ive only bought cards for builds others paid for id never buy my own cards from there - f that noise

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Look and I will admit its my personal feelings. I love microcenter, or did; they had great prices and good service I appreciate what they normally do but scalpers are the devil. They don't keep the economy going; they drain the economy of productive funds, in the same way that corruption, graft, and piracy ruins economies.

Money flowing for goods and services keeps the economy going. You can complain about prices, but if everyone held off "till later" the economy would collapse. But people won't so people complain about it.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Windows 11 is free but, hey, there are more expensive retard purchases on that list too.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Is there any use for it at all? SLI? Maybe quietness since it'd be under a fraction of load.
No one does SLI anymore. I have 2 graphics cards in my computer, but one is an 6800XT and the other a 1660, for different purposes. Quietness of PSUs has been solved for what feels like forever, even on cheaper models.

Little known fact: This "80 PLUS" certification on the PSU says that the PSU is at least 80% efficient at following load points: 20%, 50% and 100%. So every PSU gets optimized for exactly that, and energy conversion efficiency drops off below a load of 20%, and gets abysmal below 10%.

So if your system idles at around 100W you are at 7.6% load with an 1300W PSU. Modern systems idle well below that (50W total). The 6800XT is a beast when it comes to that: While typing this and watching a Youtube video on the second monitor it idles at around 40W.

Also, I'd recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer II instead of the NZXT if you get an AIO water cooler.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No one does SLI anymore. I have 2 graphics cards in my computer, but one is an 6800XT and the other a 1660, for different purposes. Quietness of PSUs has been solved for what feels like forever, even on cheaper models.

Little known fact: This "80 PLUS" certification on the PSU says that the PSU is at least 80% efficient at following load points: 20%, 50% and 100%. So every PSU gets optimized for exactly that, and energy conversion efficiency drops off below a load of 20%, and gets abysmal below 10%.

So if your system idles at around 100W you are at 7.6% load with an 1300W PSU. Modern systems idle well below that (50W total). The 6800XT is a beast when it comes to that: While typing this and watching a Youtube video on the second monitor it idles at around 40W.

Also, I'd recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer II instead of the NZXT if you get an AIO water cooler.

Already have an X73 Kraken on it. I figured it would be sufficient. What's the benefits over the NZXT?

Kraken had a damage warranty on leaks I think is why I leaned into it.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Just throwing darts at this point looking for anything that might stress the PSU at all.

The monster Overclocking is going to be all Intel chipset, nothing you can do with AMD is going to really do anything power draw wise. So I guess it's not really until next gen and a 3090 that this PSU would see a spike to 1,000w and a justification. Basically it'd have to be in a whole new computer.

That said, the case is 10 to 11 fans total and its RGB. 360mm AIO.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That said, the case is 10 to 11 fans total and its RGB.

brown.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The impossible dream-- to have the sensibility to get Noctua fans.

I've been moving my legs more, that's gotta count for something Izo Izo

How about the nearly 300 dollars in sales tax?

Is that normal for you guys?

You would think the government had something to do with me patronizing this small indy business. I wonder what they're going to do with the 277 dollars in tax?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Freezer cools better cost less, man do the employees at MC get commission on the sales? because i feel that dude was stoked at the end of that day.

• 1Solidarity