NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Any of you homies got any gigabrain solutions to fans making weird harmonic droning sounds? Like 90% of the time it's pretty silent, but there's a certain speed they run at sometimes that does something fuckin weird and it drones/whines like crazy and I can't figure out what is vibrating or whatever and causing it. It goes away immediately if you ramp the RPMs up higher, so I've taken to just leaving everything run at ~50% 24/7 to avoid it, but I'd prefer to go back to variable speeds once I figure out wtf is doing this.

Is this just a replace all the fans problem or am I missing something obvious here?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Any of you homies got any gigabrain solutions to fans making weird harmonic droning sounds? Like 90% of the time it's pretty silent, but there's a certain speed they run at sometimes that does something fuckin weird and it drones/whines like crazy and I can't figure out what is vibrating or whatever and causing it. It goes away immediately if you ramp the RPMs up higher, so I've taken to just leaving everything run at ~50% 24/7 to avoid it, but I'd prefer to go back to variable speeds once I figure out wtf is doing this.

Is this just a replace all the fans problem or am I missing something obvious here?

It isn't the fan but coil whine.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This sounds so high to me 🤯🤯
Oh, believe me, I was freaking out about it as well at first. Thought about redoing fans, adding a super high-end AIO and thermal paste, etc. After doing more research and such, it really isn't any sort of thing that is going to be that measurable over the lifetime of the processor. Maybe it shaves off a year or so of lifetime, at absolute worst? By all accounts, you're going to replace it for simply being outdated tech LONG before temperature has any sort of meaningful impact.

I had my 3570k in a mid-tower from 2001 that probably weighed 900 lbs. and had almost zero ventilation, aside from 1 125mm exhaust fan. It lasted nearly a decade and still ran fan when I finally replaced it with the 5900x. I only replaced it due to its age, not because of any sort of breakdown of the CPU.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider

Just purely on the GPU or the entirety of case/power supply fans?

I swapped in full be quiet! fans/psu and it's quieter under full load than my old pc is just being powered on which has some whine. Like 20db vs 40db+ difference min.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't think it's coil whine, cause changing the case fan speeds makes it stop. I can't really pinpoint what's doing it since it's relatively infrequent, but it seems to happen the most during idle while I'm laying on the other side of the room on my couch and don't wanna get up and mess with it

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
There are definitely harmonic frequencies with fans that are more annoying than others.

And they can also cause it with different designs near each other having fun crossover rpms.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
jayrebb jayrebb how's the PC running man?

1635305368262.png

later fuckers

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a 3080 and I mine it. WTF is "memory junction temp"?

View attachment 379129
Get HWINFO and look at "Memory Junction Temperature" for your GPU. Are you really running that stock with no tuning for mining? Just based on that screenshot you are almost certainly thermal throttling your card, and hitting temps way too high on your memory junction. You should try to keep it under 96c. To put it in perspective, I hit 94c on the junction while my GPU temp is at around 40. I get well over 90 MH/s with 420+ efficiency with a custom curve and much lower temps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Get HWINFO and look at "Memory Junction Temperature" for your GPU. Are you really running that stock with no tuning for mining? Just based on that screenshot you are almost certainly thermal throttling your card, and hitting temps way too high on your memory junction. You should try to keep it under 96c. To put it in perspective, I hit 94c on the junction while my GPU temp is at around 40. I get well over 90 MH/s with 420+ efficiency with a custom curve and much lower temps.

I bet you get 420 efficiency all right.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I half think the microcenter drama posts needs to get memorialized. Been a bit since we've had such a take of self flaggelation.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I half think the microcenter drama posts needs to get memorialized. Been a bit since we've had such a take of self flaggelation.

Jay case is interesting because he knew it was happening and let it continue - its rare you see the train coming and walk into it i guess but id have put MC in a vicegrip over some shit like that. However need more people with money to toss in fire then i can sell this rig and downsize from my CX48 -

• 1Like