NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jay case is interesting because he knew it was happening and let it continue - its rare you see the train coming and walk into it i guess but id have put MC in a vicegrip over some shit like that. However need more people with money to toss in fire then i can sell this rig and downsize from my CX48 -
You selling your CX48?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The whole situation was (is) strange. I initially thought it was a Reddit / meme copypasta that I'd never come across before because it was on the heels of a similar conversation. Then realized it wasn't and became even more confused. The first post was manic and all over the place. It just made me wonder how old he is or how many real life interactions he has had with a similar buying process. How has he ever purchased a car, a house? There's a wealth of experience and information here that I've personally read over 20 years to go along with many different situations. Just strange. Wish him the best whatever the results are here and I'm sure everyone on the board is just as willing to help as before. Kind of gotta just take your lumps and move forward.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Get HWINFO and look at "Memory Junction Temperature" for your GPU. Are you really running that stock with no tuning for mining? Just based on that screenshot you are almost certainly thermal throttling your card, and hitting temps way too high on your memory junction. You should try to keep it under 96c. To put it in perspective, I hit 94c on the junction while my GPU temp is at around 40. I get well over 90 MH/s with 420+ efficiency with a custom curve and much lower temps.

Currently mining:

Capture.PNG

• 2Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Get HWINFO and look at "Memory Junction Temperature" for your GPU. Are you really running that stock with no tuning for mining? Just based on that screenshot you are almost certainly thermal throttling your card, and hitting temps way too high on your memory junction. You should try to keep it under 96c. To put it in perspective, I hit 94c on the junction while my GPU temp is at around 40. I get well over 90 MH/s with 420+ efficiency with a custom curve and much lower temps.

I'm at 86c but I'm limiting power, fans are at 80%. Gpu is 52, cpu is 46. Should we just be turning the fans higher?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Did M Melicant just save my GPU's life?
I think all your normal content creators had videos about this around the launch for the cards. If you do water cooling you can get an active cooling back plate that I believe made a significant difference.

I will say though I don't remember the details of the impact of that specific temp, because I don't have a 30 series and it wasn't overly important to me.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
You selling your CX48?
Likely not - unless i wanted to try the 32 inch miniLED - i picked up the 12900k but waiting to see better board options and better ddr5 - idt any DDR5 will beat my 3800CL14s that i have atm.

Melicant

I'm at 86c but I'm limiting power, fans are at 80%. Gpu is 52, cpu is 46. Should we just be turning the fans higher?
I run mine at 95% while mining, but I have to in order to hit the mining numbers I want while keeping the memory junction at an acceptable temp. I do know running them at 100% is popular. If I need something replaced outside of warranty the fans are probably the easiest/cheapest.

Melicant

Did M Melicant just save my GPU's life?
It is my understanding the memory is rated for 96c. The cards seem to thermal throttle when the junction hits between 102-110. I think nicehash recommends not going above 94c on the junction. There are a lot of tuning guides out there, and I think nicehash has a tool to do it. MH/s obviously isn't everything either, as using less power affects efficiency and heat a lot.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It is my understanding the memory is rated for 96c. The cards seem to thermal throttle when the junction hits between 102-110. I think nicehash recommends not going above 94c on the junction. There are a lot of tuning guides out there, and I think nicehash has a tool to do it. MH/s obviously isn't everything either, as using less power affects efficiency and heat a lot.

So, is the answer to replace thermal pads and paste in the card or just throttle?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Thank you Sensei for teaching us all something we had no idea existed. Seriously.

At first I was like what the fuck is that? 420? Pot?

Now, you have earned my respect. That and 5 bucks can buy you half a happy meal unfortunately.

Melicant

So, is the answer to replace thermal pads and paste in the card or just throttle?
If you undervolt, underclock core, and overclock memory you will hit better MH/s and higher efficiency with less heat without replacing thermal pads. I just started using the nicehash quickminer instead of their standard one, and it does have an OCTuning tool that I'm about to start messing around with. For my custom tuning I created an afterburner mining profile. 65% Power limit, -200 Core Clock, +1150 memory clock, and 95% fan speed. Room temps and case cooling will obviously impact the tuning. I was able to keep a stable 92-94c memory junction with that setup.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Somehow my 12900k came rather early. Unfortunately no other part I want for the setup is out yet. EVGA Z690 has no release date.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Somehow my 12900k came rather early. Unfortunately no other part I want for the setup is out yet. EVGA Z690 has no release date.
I think those EVGA boards are going to be expensive af - they look awesome though.

Will wait for next fall to see what Zen 4 and/or Raptor Lake look like in the hopes DDR5 prices start to normalize. Was reasonably impressed by Alder lake though and anxious to see some benches next week.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah torn between bothering with ddr5 or not atm. I don't think any of the ram out will decent enough to stop using my 3800CL14. However at the same time i don't want to get a z690 ddr4 and buy a ddr5 later. G.Skill has some ddr5 6800CL36 ram announced but not sure on release date. May aim for that when it's finally released.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah torn between bothering with ddr5 or not atm. I don't think any of the ram out will decent enough to stop using my 3800CL14. However at the same time i don't want to get a z690 ddr4 and buy a ddr5 later. G.Skill has some ddr5 6800CL36 ram announced but not sure on release date. May aim for that when it's finally released.
I have never seen new ram at the start of a gen surpass fast older gen ram.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So uh, where do you get compatible coolers for these things?

EDIT: Nm, you contact the MFGR and get kits.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So Newegg just called me, asked me not to post benchmarks or anything on social media.

El OH El

• 9Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 9 users