NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why are they announcing new GPUs when you can't even buy their current ones. lord.
This is really bad logic.

You can buy them. People are buying them. They've produced many more graphics cards than they have in any previous generation. Demand is just extremely high.

The fact that many people haven't gotten theirs yet does not change the fact that design, process and manufacturing improvements have happened over the course of shipping so many cards. To not use that data to design newer, better cards with intra-generational improvements and just keep filling infinite backorders for existing cards would be lazy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

You can buy them. People are buying them. They've produced many more graphics cards than they have in any previous generation. Demand is just extremely high.

The fact that many people haven't gotten theirs yet does not change the fact that design, process and manufacturing improvements have happened over the course of shipping so many cards. To not use that data to design newer, better cards with intra-generational improvements and just keep filling infinite backorders for existing cards would be lazy.
I always feel like they save up the chips that score higher than the, for example, 3080 but they arent good enough to be a 3090. With the idea that they can mass produce chips on the first iterations level and then after they reach a threshold for saved up stock - they release the "TI" versions. Course I could be looking at it all wrong - I have no experience with board manufacturing.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

In stock. Price seems high?
$600 more than what I paid for my 3080ti =/.
Demand is just extremely high.
If that was the case they would have jacked the MSRP way up. The "demand" is all artificial from scalpers buying up supply.

People still refuse to appreciate the lengths scalpers are going to in this economy to buy up stock.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
$600 more than what I paid for my 3080ti =/.

If that was the case they would have jacked the MSRP way up. The "demand" is all artificial from scalpers buying up supply.

People still refuse to appreciate the lengths scalpers are going to in this economy to buy up stock.
The scalper market is a lot smaller effect than people think. Somebody clearly wants those cards still or that market wouldn't exist and the fact that people are willing to pay so much OVER MSRP should indicate how massive demand is. You can only "inflate" demand so much, unless you're dealing with nearly unlimited capital. 1060 was the most popular card of all time. Because of that, TONS of people needed upgrades to their system, were stuck at home, and decided this was the generation. Then you have all the normies who needed a "work" PC all of a sudden with WFH becoming a thing, etc.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The scalper market is a lot smaller effect than people think. Somebody clearly wants those cards still or that market wouldn't exist and the fact that people are willing to pay so much OVER MSRP should indicate how massive demand is. You can only "inflate" demand so much, unless you're dealing with nearly unlimited capital. 1060 was the most popular card of all time. Because of that, TONS of people needed upgrades to their system, were stuck at home, and decided this was the generation. Then you have all the normies who needed a "work" PC all of a sudden with WFH becoming a thing, etc.
Theres no way Nvidia or AMD would happily leave 100-200% profit on the table for scalpers to enjoy.

This exact same situation has been going on in the sneaker world for almost a decade now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Theres no way Nvidia or AMD would happily leave 100-200% profit on the table for scalpers to enjoy.
It's not really Nvidia or AMD's fault. They're still selling first-party cards at MSRP, because they can, because if they're mostly assembled in Taiwan they don't have to pay tariffs.

It's the board partners who assemble their cards in mainland China that are jacking up the prices to get a good margin after they pay Nvidia or AMD and then the tariffs.

It's also the reason PNY cards are so much cheaper, they're mainly manufactured in the US. Now if only PNY would make... good cards, that would help.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

This exact same situation has been going on in the sneaker world for almost a decade now.
Except AMD and nVidia don't have unlimited production capacity to make boards, chips, etc. They rely on board partners to fill in the gaps.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Current GPU prices have finally made the retail price I paid for my 2080ti at release, look like a bargain!

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are FE versions limited release? Was hoping for one as a Ti is more than I'm willing to do and the base 3080 for the price still leaves me feeling like it's not a big of an upgrade over my 1080ti even though it is

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist

The sneaker world is fucked intentionally though. Limited edition by design.

GPU market is fucked due to constrained supply despite what some wall lickers here are saying.

The scalpers are 100% in control of the GPU market at the moment. nVidia and AMD are just locked into historical MSRPs from launch that they are afraid to change. I'd bet the next series of cards will have comically higher pricing associated with them.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Let me rephrase my point.

Yes, people can buy them (from scalpers, mainly) but they aren't able to produce enough to meet that "extremely high" demand. It seems really silly to just say "Well okay, onto the next product" when they can't even meet demand of the previous at anytime during its lifespan. So now, all they are going to do is create a really short-time frame where you might be able to get these cards a little the closer it gets to the release of the new product due to dropping demand, only to crank the demand for the new card to 11. Basically, buying a GPU is forever going to be an exercise in luck that you catch something in stock for the 2-3 minutes it hits a website, or you win a newegg lottery.

No wonder people buy from scalpers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It seems really silly to just say "Well okay, onto the next product" when they can't even meet demand of the previous at anytime during its lifespan.
Again, that's stupid logic. It would be stupid and lazy to not make a better product when you have the technology to do so.

Manufacturing capacity is limited, silicon ingots are limited, why would you devote both to making what is now inferior product just because not everyone that could possibly want that product has gotten it yet?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
My spot in line finally came up for the EVGA 3080 FTW3, I purchased it, but guess i'll probably just sell it on again for a small marginal profit. Not looking to gouge people.

• 1Worf

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Again, that's stupid logic. It would be stupid and lazy to not make a better product when you have the technology to do so.

Manufacturing capacity is limited, silicon ingots are limited, why would you devote both to making what is now inferior product just because not everyone that could possibly want that product has gotten it yet?

It's not an issue of "because not everyone that could possibly want that product has gotten it" and more of an issue of "because the product has never been accessible to the general public". I'm sure there are people that since release have been trying to get a 3090. However, because they didn't write their own bot, pay a scalper, or get lucky in the 10-15 second window of it being available online and the shopping cart not breaking because 800,000 people across the world are attempting to buy it at the exact same moment while bots are also slamming the page -- their odds of getting one are zero.

• 1Truth!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

It's also a staffing/experience problem.

You have built over a decade or more a kick-ass team that design graphic chipsets. This is a very narrow, very complex expertise, which requires a significant investment.

Will you simply tell your team "okay, take a year of two of breather, we don't need stuff". Then those people are either reassigned to other parts of the company, or get bored and leave for another electronic company. And when you say "okay, time for a new card", you've lost more critical expertise than you expected to, and it's going to cost you a lot to restart the design machinery.

So you make new products. That's good both for the workings of the company and marketing. Win-win.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's not an issue of "because not everyone that could possibly want that product has gotten it" and more of an issue of "because the product has never been accessible to the general public". I'm sure there are people that since release have been trying to get a 3090. However, because they didn't write their own bot, pay a scalper, or get lucky in the 10-15 second window of it being available online and the shopping cart not breaking because 800,000 people across the world are attempting to buy it at the exact same moment while bots are also slamming the page -- their odds of getting one are zero.
I’m not sure why nvidia would or should give a shit about that. Do you think it’s a good idea as a company (and for investors) to say “you know what R&D department, engineers, etc. we should just have you guys not work for a while, there are some customers that just haven’t been able to get the last product you made gosh darn it. We’re just going to stop innovating for a while and lay you guys off until Joe Blow the neighbor is able to get one of the old products for little Timmy for Christmas.”

That’s retarded dude. They have to keep trucking along, breaking sales records with the 3080, then release the 4080 on schedule (And raise their MSRP 25%). It will continue to sell like crazy, meanwhile the used 3080 market thrives so Timmy can get his eventually. No one should stop their innovation and release cycle’s cause they feel bad consumers haven’t picked up the old gen yet. That’s how you get behind as a company and lose your ass to competitors.