NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not an issue of "because not everyone that could possibly want that product has gotten it" and more of an issue of "because the product has never been accessible to the general public". I'm sure there are people that since release have been trying to get a 3090. However, because they didn't write their own bot, pay a scalper, or get lucky in the 10-15 second window of it being available online and the shopping cart not breaking because 800,000 people across the world are attempting to buy it at the exact same moment while bots are also slamming the page -- their odds of getting one are zero.
This is like poor people logic of "can't go to Mars until everyone has a house." Or maybe "you can't buy a PS5 until you've beaten all your PS4 games."

This also makes no sense because GPUs are for lack of a better term, fungible. A newer GPU plays all the same games as a previous gen GPU, just better. You are not locking anyone out of any kind of content or work they'd want to perform with the GPU they weren't able to purchase by selling them the next tier GPU.

Remember that Nvidia does not fab their own chips. Delaying the release of the next generation of chips does nothing to improve the total manufacturing capacity of chips. If the 40X0 series chips use a smaller process, they would be produced in a new fab plant that can actually run concurrently with the existing fabs, which would improve the total manufacturing capacity.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's not an issue of "because not everyone that could possibly want that product has gotten it" and more of an issue of "because the product has never been accessible to the general public". I'm sure there are people that since release have been trying to get a 3090. However, because they didn't write their own bot, pay a scalper, or get lucky in the 10-15 second window of it being available online and the shopping cart not breaking because 800,000 people across the world are attempting to buy it at the exact same moment while bots are also slamming the page -- their odds of getting one are zero.
I have half a mind to just suck it up and pay a scalper here eventually. While I refuse to do this for a PS5 (as I really really dont need a PS5) my main source of entertainment is my PC and my 2070 Super is half of what a 3080 ti can do.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have half a mind to just suck it up and pay a scalper here eventually. While I refuse to do this for a PS5 (as I really really dont need a PS5) my main source of entertainment is my PC and my 2070 Super is half of what a 3080 ti can do.
Why didn’t you just buy that ti you linked the other day that was $1900? I saw the same card in stock other places for $2100 and $2500. Scared to think wtf a scalper would sell it for if that’s the price at a store.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why didn’t you just buy that ti you linked the other day that was $1900? I saw the same card in stock other places for $2100 and $2500. Scared to think wtf a scalper would sell it for if that’s the price at a store.
Seems to be around the same $2000 price honestly.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

I'm not really going to pay a scalper. I'm going to hold out hope that nVidia was telling the truth that the reason the 3080 such series were such a clusterfuck was simply that they underestimated demand and nothing else.

Yeah, that's bullshit, but I'll believe them. As such, the 3090ti will obviously have enough for demand. Surely.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm not really going to pay a scalper. I'm going to hold out hope that nVidia was telling the truth that the reason the 3080 such series were such a clusterfuck was simply that they underestimated demand and nothing else.

Yeah, that's bullshit, but I'll believe them. As such, the 3090ti will obviously have enough for demand. Surely.
I had thought it was crypto miners that fucked the market. But then I realized that I have never ran into a component shortage wall in my 23 or so years of PC gaming. Not a single time did I struggle to find a GPU until now.

Same goes for PS5. While I never cared about getting one on release, I never had a problem getting one when I did go for one a year or more later.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I had thought it was crypto miners that fucked the market. But then I realized that I have never ran into a component shortage wall in my 23 or so years of PC gaming. Not a single time did I struggle to find a GPU until now.

Same goes for PS5. While I never cared about getting one on release, I never had a problem getting one when I did go for one a year or more later.
This is the first time in ages I've kind of wanted a console and you can't get one. It's mildly annoying. If GPU's where still in the realm of reasonable and available I probably would have upgraded, but it's just not worth it. I paid 850 for a 2080, and I thought that was insane. No fucking chance I'm dropping 2 grand on a video card (I say this now, but the reality is I probably will at some point in the future for 4 or 5 series because pixels). Shit's gone insane. The past 2 decades you could put together an insane PC for less than you pay for a higher end video card now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seems to be around the same $2000 price honestly.
EVGA 3080TI is $1450 or so. EVGA is one of the few companies that haven't totally gone full scalp. PIcked my 3080TI up via a bundle on antonline. Bundles suck, sure, but they are EVGA bundles so it's quality components at least.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is the first time in ages I've kind of wanted a console and you can't get one.
It's actually pretty easy to get a console right now. I got my PS5 from Walmart and I just got an Xbox Series X from BJs. MSRP for both.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's actually pretty easy to get a console right now. I got my PS5 from Walmart and I just got an Xbox Series X from BJs. MSRP for both.
Turns out you are correct and I just wasn't looking hard enough. Picked up a Seriex X combo with series 2 controller and headset from antonline for $740. That's fine enough I guess.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Turns out you are correct and I just wasn't looking hard enough. Picked up a Seriex X combo with series 2 controller and headset from antonline for $740. That's fine enough I guess.
That same combo is what I just bought from BJs for $669.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That same combo is what I just bought from BJs for $669.
My BJ's show nothing unfortunately. I went through a handful of others, directly from Microsoft, Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy (which I could get, but only if you finance it, so they can get fucked on me giving them my credit information), Walmart, Target. Nothing on all of them

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
it's funny how the 2080ti I bought when it came out turned out to be a great purchase all things considered heh

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
it's funny how the 2080ti I bought when it came out turned out to be a great purchase all things considered heh
That's kind of how I feel about my 2080. It was a generation everyone was like you shouldn't buy because value isn't their, but I was on like a 960 or something so 2080 seemed great. I opted not to get the ti because I felt the price vs performance value jump was way too small. For the generation you shouldn't have bought it worked out being miracles though

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Holding out hope for Nvida?

Just how much do you think they will be charging for those cards this fall? They played nice once with price and look how well that went.