NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I got a 3080 FE for MSRP in Nov 2020. :) :)
Go Fuck Yourself GIF

• 7Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, so now for my seemingly quarterly check in....

How bad is the rapening on prices still? Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus wants either a new gaming rig, or me to do a tech update on hers (new video card(s) and new SDD setup) otherwise.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
OK, so now for my seemingly quarterly check in....

How bad is the rapening on prices still? Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus wants either a new gaming rig, or me to do a tech update on hers (new video card(s) and new SDD setup) otherwise.
Prices, thankfully, are getting back to normal and vendors are keeping things in stock for a change. Pretty recent change, so maybe wait a bit more and we may start seeing some killer deals on particular parts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you want a 3080 ti the prices on them are actually quite reasonable I think.

If you want something else its still hard to find decent ones in stock.

Like if I wanted a video card RIGHT NOW I would buy one of these:

Because I feel like its the thing you get least fucked on.

If you can find a 6800 XT for under a grand that's good too.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Microcenter had an ASUS 3080 for $849 today, I would consider that progress at moving prices down to a reasonable level.

spronk

FPS noob
it depends on whether you think spending $1300 on a new GPU is awesome or "holy fuck what"

if the former GPUs are available a-plenty but you are buying literally months before the 40xx series is announced which is likely going to be double the $/performance of 30xx but also return to a cycle of "you can only get a GPU if you try finger but hole" aka lube up

if the latter, well... console gaming is pretty cool right now

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
it depends on whether you think spending $1300 on a new GPU is awesome or "holy fuck what"

if the former GPUs are available a-plenty but you are buying literally months before the 40xx series is announced which is likely going to be double the $/performance of 30xx but also return to a cycle of "you can only get a GPU if you try finger but hole" aka lube up

if the latter, well... console gaming is pretty cool right now
I think thats partially the reson for the availability right now. I think everyone in the know is waiting for the 40xx series. But then again in this market you get what you can because im sure the availability of the 40xx is going to be shit as well.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Newegg had a Gigabyte 6900XT for 999.99 after a 150 MIR yesterday.

Still in stock as of 22:43 CST, sold by Newegg themselves:

So if you have to have one today, they're out there now. All of Mist's caveats still hold true: It's the end of a gen, new cards that are going to make top end cards seem like mid range cards are going to launch in 4ish months, but that was always going to be true. Buying at the start of a gen just makes it easier to take. There is another gen potentially another 12-18 months behind this one that is even more mind-blowing than this one, so assuming the Great Reset/New Cold War/UnknownVID or we aren't in the middle of starving, these cards we buy now or even later this year will seem underwhelming yet again, forever the viscous and fantastic cycle.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
OK but it's geeky. In the US, houses/apartments are 120/240V/60hz and some apartments are 120/208V/60hz. What that means is your house panel has 2 hot legs. The voltage between one of those legs is 120V and the voltage between them both is 240 or 208.

The tanning bed I mentioned uses 230V only with a big warning that anything under 219V and anything over 231 volts will void the warranty (and the fucking thing won't even come on). That's out of our US voltage ranges so we have to add equipment (called a buck/boost xfmr) to even get it running. Thankfully it will at least work with the 60hz because that's a whole other headache. Lots of Europe and I believe parts of Canada use 50hz. If this didn't put you fast asleep I hope it helped.
When I was younger, a friend of mine from the pool league bought a tanning bed for her hair styling salon. The room she wanted to put it in had an outlet, but it had a strange connection. One of the plugs was sideways.
1649563286173.png

Fortunately, I was comfortable with electricity, so I could take the outlet out of the wall and swap it out to a "normal" outlet that her tanning machine needed.

I made the change, and everything was good. Then we turned it on, and "BOOM". All the ballasts blew, so it became a very expensive swap. Oh well. Turns out the plug pictured above was actually a 220v, not a 110v. Whoops. I didn't get hurt, and she brought in a proper electrician to fix it.

• 2Worf
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
When I was younger, a friend of mine from the pool league bought a tanning bed for her hair styling salon. The room she wanted to put it in had an outlet, but it had a strange connection. One of the plugs was sideways.
View attachment 407328
Fortunately, I was comfortable with electricity, so I could take the outlet out of the wall and swap it out to a "normal" outlet that her tanning machine needed.

I made the change, and everything was good. Then we turned it on, and "BOOM". All the ballasts blew, so it became a very expensive swap. Oh well. Turns out the plug pictured above was actually a 220v, not a 110v. Whoops. I didn't get hurt, and she brought in a proper electrician to fix it.
Pro tip, if the plug will not fit into the outlet, hire an electrician to find out why. It's on purpose.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
yeah it does not sound like he was really "comfortable" with electricity not knowing a 220 outlet.

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 407328

You were comfortable with electricity but you'd never moved an electric stove before to clean behind it? Installed an electric hot water heater or a large AC unit?

jfc.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You were comfortable with electricity but you'd never moved an electric stove before to clean behind it? Installed an electric hot water heater or a large AC unit?

jfc.
That plug above he showed is not like the huge 220v plugs they use for dryers or stoves. Its normal size except for the different prong config.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
And yes, I've moved electric devices in the past. Keep in mind I was younger at the time. Probably 20, and she was cute, so my dick was talking.