NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
@Mist

Consider running long video and USB cables through a wall and putting the case in an adjoining room. No noise and heat in the workspace.

Smarter would be getting an extractor duct/fan setup because that amount of heat buildup indicates the room is not properly ventilated. Sitting in a small poorly ventilated space for long periods of time is not healthy.

I'm just going to wait for the next generation. My guess is they will be hearing lots of complaints about heat, etc. this go around and will clean up the next cards to be smaller and require less power / fans. And they're going to want to get this tech into notebooks, so it's pretty much a given that the next round will be more efficient.

To get the full boost from these cards means a new motherboard, power supply and cpu for me. My existing system still runs most games I play at max so there isn't a big rush to upgrade. And I like my machines quiet, so get Strix cards, etc. This generation is going to be too noisy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
To get the full boost from these cards means a new motherboard, power supply and cpu for me. My existing system still runs most games I play at max so there isn't a big rush to upgrade. And I like my machines quiet, so get Strix cards, etc. This generation is going to be too noisy.
These machines make me want to try water cooling again. I still have all my radiators / connectors and it's been long enough that I've forgotten how annoying it is to do.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
That's true, but why go for this at 1080p?

Like i understand how people who use 1080p screens think! I havent used a 1080p screen outside of work in like 7 years, and even at work im using 3 bc the job wont pony up for my required G9 at work!

spronk

FPS noob
I'm now really curious how the 3090 will perform at 1440p/4k

it is basically double the perf at 1440p for a 1080 user, and 40-60% for a 2080 user. Numbers go down a bit at 4k but still high. This is for most games, a few games like Flight Simulator 2020 see lot lower improvements because that kind of game is heavily CPU bound right now (like Crysis back in the day) and I'd imagine its not super optimized yet at any level, plus I dont think FS2020 is directX 12 yet.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Watched 3 reviews now and read a few - seems to me like a very typical leap, nothing monumental but certainly a valid leap (Nvidia marketing overselling a product again? Who'da guessed?).

Everyone is still feeling the burn from Pascal to Turing though so the hype is off the charts.

I'm sure that most people seriously wanting to upgrade are like me and still rocking a Pascal card (1080TI, etc) and this seems like a great time to do it.

Really wish AMD was quicker on the draw here so we could compare them apples to apples right now. Will try for the FE tomorrow morning and if that doesn't work out (hint, it won't) I just hope my Zotac 3080 Trinity order goes through. Tomorrow will be a cluster feck

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Similar power draw at stock to the 1080ti with overclock, and it looks like overclocking the 3080 just chews power for no gain anyway.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Watched 3 reviews now and read a few - seems to me like a very typical leap, nothing monumental but certainly a valid leap (Nvidia marketing overselling a product again? Who'da guessed?).

Everyone is still feeling the burn from Pascal to Turing though so the hype is off the charts.

I'm sure that most people seriously wanting to upgrade are like me and still rocking a Pascal card (1080TI, etc) and this seems like a great time to do it.

Really wish AMD was quicker on the draw here so we could compare them apples to apples right now. Will try for the FE tomorrow morning and if that doesn't work out (hint, it won't) I just hope my Zotac 3080 Trinity order goes through. Tomorrow will be a cluster feck
Problem is the fans hyped it up way too much. They for some reason expected a 100% increase over 2080ti

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
3070 seems the route to go for 1080p - That or a ebayed 2080ti - Still guess im going to snag a 3080 and 3090 - i dont expect huge gains from 3090 but should be able to max out my 38GN950 - will test the 3080 on the 38 and G9 this weekend.

On another note, they say Big Navi was supposed to be 20-30% faster than the 2080ti (previous rumors) if so that would make it a direct competitor for the 3080 and depending on price it would be the goto for 1080p

Last edited: