NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just imagine if Nvidia hadn't been total cheap asses and decided to pony up the extra $25/node to go with TSMC 7NM

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Watched the Gamers Nexus review, about what I expected. Since i game at 1440p and have a 2070Super this is a no brainer purchase. Camping nvidia.com and bestbuy.com tomorrow. Hoping I can do in-store pickup on an EVGA model, but if not I like the look of the FE.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Problem is the fans hyped it up way too much. They for some reason expected a 100% increase over 2080ti

I agree completey but I mean, Nvidia's own marketing slides claim a double performance over 2080 (base) uplift and that's not been shown to be the case in a single benchmark (any resolution, any setting, etc) - including Nvidia's own Digital Foundry (paid) preview/review last week. More like 70% - which, still very good is far short of the expectations Nvidia themselves have set. Not sure why they do this continually, but it really does feel like they have some knowledge on Big Navi and kept prices "reasonable" accordingly.

That said, if you're gaming at 1440p and have a 2080+ card I don't know why you'd be compelled to upgrade. 4k seems to be where you're seeing the biggest and most obvious performance increases but at 1440p it appears you're still fairly CPU constrained and the uplift seems like a waste of time (particularly when factoring in energy consumption vs performance of 2080TI vs 3080).

Like I said, this is a reasonably good generational leap from Turing but it's nothing to write home about and the hype was way off the reservation with these things.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I agree completey but I mean, Nvidia's own marketing slides claim a double performance over 2080 (base) uplift and that's not been shown to be the case in a single benchmark (any resolution, any setting, etc) - including Nvidia's own Digital Foundry (paid) preview/review last week. More like 70% - which, still very good is far short of the expectations Nvidia themselves have set. Not sure why they do this continually, but it really does feel like they have some knowledge on Big Navi and kept prices "reasonable" accordingly.

That said, if you're gaming at 1440p and have a 2080+ card I don't know why you'd be compelled to upgrade. 4k seems to be where you're seeing the biggest and most obvious performance increases but at 1440p it appears you're still fairly CPU constrained and the uplift seems like a waste of time (particularly when factoring in energy consumption vs performance of 2080TI vs 3080).

Like I said, this is a reasonably good generational leap from Turing but it's nothing to write home about and the hype was way off the reservation with these things.
I work in engineering - literally any product demo we've ever gotten has been like this. Even when Intel gives us roadmaps and stuff, knowing full well that we're buying them no matter what, its the same thing.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Made the decision to wait another year. My 1080ti works perfectly for the majority of the games I play, and I can't justify paying $1000 CAD + taxes for the only game I'm looking forward to that would need a new card (Cyberpunk obv) I'll hold off on playing Cyberpunk until then too (heresy!) and hopefully all the DLC and patches it's going to have will be out then.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Made the decision to wait another year. My 1080ti works perfectly for the majority of the games I play, and I can't justify paying $1000 CAD + taxes for the only game I'm looking forward to that would need a new card (Cyberpunk obv) I'll hold off on playing Cyberpunk until then too (heresy!) and hopefully all the DLC and patches it's going to have will be out then.
Blasphemous

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Self-imposed delay on Cyberpunk after a year of developer delay? Not sure if stoicism or masochism.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm holding off for either a 3080 with more memory or maybe even a 3090, but I'm not really in a rush as my 2080 does well enough to wait.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Watched the Gamers Nexus review, about what I expected. Since i game at 1440p and have a 2070Super this is a no brainer purchase. Camping nvidia.com and bestbuy.com tomorrow. Hoping I can do in-store pickup on an EVGA model, but if not I like the look of the FE.
I'm in the same boat as you. I also have a 2070 super and game at 1440p. I'm going to pull an all niter trying to camp Bestbuy and Nvidia site and if I'm unlucky will try Bestbuy in the morning.

Edit: Yeah it is a no brainer, according to some of these tests I will be almost doubling my framerate.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm just sitting on a 1060 thinking it's going to suck for Cyberpunk, so would like to get a 3080 on the initial wave.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
750w power supply good enough for a 3080 and high end ryzen cpu?

Half tempted to try and snag one tomorrow, but also won't care to wait a few months...

Have this:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Best Buy won’t have stock in their physical stores. It's either Micro Center or take your chances against the bot armies online.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
3070 seems the route to go for 1080p - That or a ebayed 2080ti - Still guess im going to snag a 3080 and 3090 - i dont expect huge gains from 3090 but should be able to max out my 38GN950 - will test the 3080 on the 38 and G9 this weekend.

On another note, they say Big Navi was supposed to be 20-30% faster than the 2080ti (previous rumors) if so that would make it a direct competitor for the 3080 and depending on price it would be the goto for 1080p
Pretty sure at 1080p you could just buy a 2070 Super and be fine forever.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Best Buy won’t have stock in their physical stores. It's either Micro Center or take your chances against the bot armies online.
Yeah but no harm in trying. If I can't get one tomorrow I'll just get another 27" monitor and wait a few months until they are available.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah but no harm in trying. If I can't get one tomorrow I'll just get another 27" monitor and wait a few months until they are available.
Yeah better safe than sorry. Make sure you get there at 4 AM to secure first place in line.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
750w power supply good enough for a 3080 and high end ryzen cpu?

As long as you don't overclock anything you should be fine. Better use two separate provided cables to power the 3080.
Reference cooler blasts a lot of heat straight into the ram/cpu so if you're using custom memory turnings, they may become unstable, too.

• 1Like