NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

spronk

FPS noob
yeah pretty much anything in the USA that has even the slighest amount of demand and supply elasticity - high end PC parts, consoles, cars, houses, specialized labor, high end white collar jobs, even fucking fast food jobs, lol - has extreme pricing problems. If you don't want X the retailer doesn't care, someone else will definitely buy it and very soon. I heard about shit like McDonalds giving new employees $1k bonus just for staying 30 days.

We are experiencing the kind of inflation curve shitty third world countries saw before currency collapses, but for most people it seems invisible other than "man its hard buying a PS5". Combine that with the fact that now nearly half of all houses being purchases are being bought by investors (to scalp/rent), and its not sustainable but thinking about the systemic shocks that could cause inflation to flatten is even scarier. a worldwide pandemic didnt even make A DENT.

You know what investment tool doesn't have to worry too much about other systems? guns and bullets

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Microcenter's 1500 dollars for a 6800XT is bullshit. I don't care if that is what scalpers are charging for them.
Yeah that's too much - I managed to snag one of the better 6800xt's in the spring for around $1100 delivered (Asrock Taichi) and I'm kinda glad I did (basically traded a 3070 for that AMD card).

Honestly, the 6800xt so far has been one of the best cards I've ever had. Quiet, cool and just eats games for breakfast. I also really like AMD's software suite vs Nvidia's as I don't have to use MSI Afterburner to oc/undervolt anymore - the stock AMD one works just as well

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
The "no scalp" price here in Sweden for a 3080, if you can find a store that has one, is slightly more then $1600.

That is including tax, sales tax, hazard chemical tax (it has to be recycled ya know) and eviromental tax. Last time I saw one from scalpers it was well over $2000.

On the other hand, it seems the supply of the 3070ti/3080ti cards is stable. Most stores are carrying them but they are closer to the $2000-$2500 price range.

Kiki

Log Wizard
My bro's computer blew up due to lightning AND HIS HOUSE NOT BEING GROUNDED. Ordered a custom from cyberpower with a 3080, shipped today 7 day wait even with the NORUSH 5% off, 2 day shipping as well, not bad

• 1Like

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
With 1 rig setup you were able to farm $2k+ in 3.5-4 months non 24/7 on a daily 24H average of <$7.

<_<

Missed this post last month, guess I'll reply now.
  1. It was pretty much running 24/7, since most games I played didn't even require me to pause the mining.
  2. early April --> late Septemer = more than 5 months
  3. Mining was much more profitable back in spring / summer, so you were getting far more than $7 / day average. I remember when it dropped below $10 / day and I was wondering if the issue was on my end. Then that become the new normal. No idea what the average has been over that 6 month period but it was almost certainly more than $7
  4. all the ETH / BTC paid out from mid-May --> mid-July during the dip appreciated in value quite a lot
My wife also has a computer with a 3060ti that I set up in April or May as well. It is probably running about half the time since she turns it off when she games or works from home. I think at the time I posted that I had gotten a little over $2k, and the 3080 had mined at least 75% of that due to better hashrate + being on 24/7, so maybe it had earned closer to $1500?

Anyways, I think the two computers totaled around $3500 (and I was looking up to upgrade anyways since ours were ancient), and at this point both rigs are almost completely paid for (proof attached this time!). I don't particularly care about cryptocurrency but I wanted new computers anyways and they seem to generate free money. I suppose at some point I should convert these BTC payouts into real money...

1634746008476.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They got me. I rolled into Microcenter earlier with a pre-build sheet already organized that had my budget decisions.

Around 3.9k

Long story short, I left the store 5,004 dollars light. I shouldn't have mentioned I was future-proofing. They went hard and used neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) to shame my decisions until I agreed to more and more. Example I said 850watt PSU should be sufficient, especially given AMD's efficiency. And he just did this killer pause while entering it into the screen and interjected, and then completely froze up like a mummy and passively resisted entering anything until he heard "yes more power". These guys are fucking good.

The PSU probably being the biggest example. A 1,300 watt Platinum and no-- I don't have a 3090 nor do I plan to have one anytime soon. Nor do I give a fuck about VR or 4k. They fucking got me.

1634795299613.png

They tried to sell me on a fucking 400 dollar AIO cooler. The most expensive one in the store. It took everything in me to shut it down. I bashed the temp display LED and said it wouldn't see any use. Close call. Still sweating bullets over what would have been a 6k rig. I was sure they were just going to slap me to the ground and take my credit card from me.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 3WTF
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 10 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
They went hard and used neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) to shame my decisions until I agreed to more and more. Example I said 850watt PSU should be sufficient, especially given AMD's efficiency. And he just did this killer pause while entering it into the screen and interjected, and then completely froze up like a mummy and passively resisted entering anything until he heard "yes more power". These guys are fucking good.
I have an AMD 5900X plus 6800 XT and an 1660, and I only have an 750W PSU.

Have you ever tried entering your configuration into this?

Also, for educational purposes, please post the parts list you went into the shop, and what you came out with.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
They got me. I rolled into Microcenter earlier with a pre-build sheet already organized that had my budget decisions.

Around 3.9k

Long story short, I left the store 5,004 dollars light. I shouldn't have mentioned I was future-proofing. They went hard and used neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) to shame my decisions until I agreed to more and more. Example I said 850watt PSU should be sufficient, especially given AMD's efficiency. And he just did this killer pause while entering it into the screen and interjected, and then completely froze up like a mummy and passively resisted entering anything until he heard "yes more power". These guys are fucking good.

The PSU probably being the biggest example. A 1,300 watt Platinum and no-- I don't have a 3090 nor do I plan to have one anytime soon. Nor do I give a fuck about VR or 4k. They fucking got me.

View attachment 378187

They tried to sell me on a fucking 400 dollar AIO cooler. The most expensive one in the store. It took everything in me to shut it down. I bashed the temp display LED and said it wouldn't see any use. Close call. Still sweating bullets over what would have been a 6k rig. I was sure they were just going to slap me to the ground and take my credit card from me.

I want to see your parts! Wait. That sounds gay.

• 2Worf

spronk

FPS noob
grats on giving microcenter $5k? I've never understood future proofing, in 12 months everything except the case and PSU is underpowered. children, guns, wine, jewelry/gold, stocks, and real estate are future proofing but not tech, clothes, or cars.

anyways another card no one will be able to get

the evga queue seems to be moving right along, i recently got an alert for a 3080 FTW3 (LHR) for $909. i signed up for it like 8 months ago

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So nvidia is launching a cloud gaming service. Wonder how that will impact the supply of Nvidia GPUs.

rad

Lord of Guk
Got my EVGA notice today,
grats on giving microcenter $5k? I've never understood future proofing, in 12 months everything except the case and PSU is underpowered. children, guns, wine, jewelry/gold, stocks, and real estate are future proofing but not tech, clothes, or cars.

anyways another card no one will be able to get

the evga queue seems to be moving right along, i recently got an alert for a 3080 FTW3 (LHR) for $909. i signed up for it like 8 months ago

Got mine as well, picked it up for a friend as I managed to secure another in that time.

Did notice they shut down the queue until they are caught up with the existing requests.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Around 3.9k

View attachment 378187

Curious wtf you bought for 5k that isnt a custom loop - I sounds like they raped you and you allowed it - where is the part list?

Also spending 5k right before AlderLake releases and a couple months before AMD chiplets is going to hurt if youre trying to future proof. AM4 is dead for the most part and Intels current socket is even more dead.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Curious wtf you bought for 5k that isnt a custom loop - I sounds like they raped you and you allowed it - where is the part list?

Also spending 5k right before AlderLake releases and a couple months before AMD chiplets is going to hurt if youre trying to future proof. AM4 is dead for the most part and Intels current socket is even more dead.

The biggest kicks to the nuts were

3900x Matisse ----> 5950x
MSI X570 Tomahawk ----> Asus ROG Dark Hero
850w Seasonic -----> 1,300w EVGA

Pretty senseless overkill. I wanted no motherboard fan and a few other offerings of the Dark Hero, pushed it over the edge in the moment.

What happened was I got locked out of my Microcenter account while in the store because it's sensitive to just 2 failed password attempts-- and requires a support ticket created to unlock again, which wasn't happening. I just drove a fucking hour to get there. And the sales rep had some problems at one of the terminals so on the walk over to a new terminal he was already building energy since now he got to interject on every single part and took control of the interaction as if it's a build from scratch. Which it was from scratch, since I got locked out of my account.

"Not much difference on the 3900x in gaming, but Steam loaded faster for me with the 5950x. It was noticeable, there's no loading pause at all". Ehhhhhhh OK, sold.

The PSU had to be worked up from 1,000w and I still don't know how we got to 1,300w. It had to do with the efficiency ratings. The 1000w wasn't the rating I wanted to keep from the 850w. So he whipped out the 1,300 and said X dollars more. Followed by killer pauses and freezing of hands. "Take a look". IDK. Try looking again. Oh I guess since I can't get the 1,000w I'm looking for. "You want the extra power for the eventual 3090, next gen anyway. 1,000w could cap". In my head im thinking no way AMD chipset is going to cap at 1,000w. It was sleight of hand since he had control of the terminal and was taking the order.

1634846951460.png

Last edited:
  • 1WTF