NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Word is the 4070 will shit on every card currently on the market for <600 dollars.

if so, that''ll be a fuck yeah moment for everyone (especially me) looking to build a new system

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Do we know if we will have to have an ATX 3.0 supply for these (or at least a PSU with a 12+4)? I bought a 3080 earlier this year so I personally am cool letting that shake out before I move to the 4000s.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do we know if we will have to have an ATX 3.0 supply for these (or at least a PSU with a 12+4)? I bought a 3080 earlier this year so I personally am cool letting that shake out before I move to the 4000s.
I think we'd know that by now. Likely next gen, if it's even happening.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I am currently on the fence about putting together my long-standing 9900k which has been in parts waiting for a video card for years (I just got a 3080 on a deal, see posts above) or I was thinking spending a few hundred bucks and getting a Zen 3 5800x/5900x and just selling the 9900k for dirt cheap because who the fuck knows what's going to happen in the next two months with suppliers and Taiwan. Now that we know Zen 4 is supposed to really launch, not paper launch on Sept 15th, and there will be a 300 dollarish 7700 part, I might just wait for that.

Lovelace and RDNA3 are supposed to blow these current gen cards out of the water; It doesn't surprise me at all that the 4070 would be equivalent to the 3090/3090 Ti, although I don't know where its going to come in price wise. nVidia has shareholders to feed and this time AMD is supposedly playing for keeps with RDNA3. I keep hearing about a tsunami of chinese miner cards coming west but Ebay prices remain stupid.

spronk

FPS noob
air cooling next gen

gpu_pc.png

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Rumor on the street is that Nvidia will only launch one RTX 4000 SKU this year, and delay everything else to next year, because otherwise the AIB board partners would revolt. They sit on a lot of RTX 3000 stock thinking the crypto boom would go on forever.

Still, buying anything new until the new cards arrive would be pretty stupid.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Rumor on the street is that Nvidia will only launch one RTX 4000 SKU this year, and delay everything else to next year, because otherwise the AIB board partners would revolt.
Which again supports the idea that the 40 series renders all previous cards obsolete.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Rumor on the street is that Nvidia will only launch one RTX 4000 SKU this year, and delay everything else to next year, because otherwise the AIB board partners would revolt. They sit on a lot of RTX 3000 stock thinking the crypto boom would go on forever.

Still, buying anything new until the new cards arrive would be pretty stupid.
I thought the AIBs worked out a deal with nvidia, to not sabotage the launch.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I thought the AIBs worked out a deal with nvidia, to not sabotage the launch.
Technically, they could release the 4090 in October and release the "smaller" ones month by month.

With rumors going around the block that AMD is launching RDNA 3 around November, and also only the big one (7900, and maybe 7800) this would make even more sense: If AMD beats them, then they'll scramble for a 4090 Ti, if not they'll try to keep prices at the high end up.

They'll try to go for the top end, as this is the lucrative part: consumers have been conditioned that over $1500 for a high end GPU is acceptable. Meanwhile, they can wait until the last gen cards are trickling down and keep prices on the lower end of the market down.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The idea that a gpu cost more than a cpu is still crazy to me.
Why?

It has its own RAM, for one. It has it's own cooling system, for two. It has its own power delivery and voltage regulation, for 3.

So it's basically a motherboard + RAM + a large massively parallel processor.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you're still stuck in 2000, I guess? The newest cards might as well be their own PC within a PC.

I hope the 4k series decimates the 3k series like Mist is saying - simply because Im still marching to the tune that its good for games over all when the market is saturated with powerful video cards. I want to see a good 50%+ of* the 2k and 3k series on steam charts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Factor in a fat cooler, a board and gigabytes of expensive memory, and suddenly the pricing isn't that far off--at least for the medium range. Which due to Covid & Crypto is still fucking skewed, but the xx70 and 6700 cards will probably drop below $500 some time again.

Buying a top end graphics card however, is just paying more money now for performance you could've had a generation later.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Man I hope those 4070 rumors are true. I skipped last 2 generations(didnt really need to upgrade). I would love to build on a 4070 if its that cheap and ride out another 4-5 years.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The newest cards might as well be their own PC within a PC.
I'd like to point out that there is actually a CPU inside modern graphics cards, with its own OS. It does things like scheduling and power + fan management, which is why older Nvidia cards spin up their fans when in the BIOS (where a rudimentary version runs) until the graphics driver uploads a fat blob with the "real" OS onto the GPU.

When your screen blacks out (during driver updates, or when the GPU driver crashes), the graphics driver on the host system actually reboots the OS on the GPU. You can restart the graphics driver on WIndows 10 with Ctrl+Shift+Win+B.

Nvidia probably wanted to buy ARM to have a newer core for it, but after everyone went apeshit over them trying to buy the whole company they went with RISC-V instead.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Mainly because I am old, and gpu performance and gaming was always secondary to me, comparing to how fast a program loads vs how detailed the graphics are.
It is definitely a generational thing.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Man I hope those 4070 rumors are true. I skipped last 2 generations(didnt really need to upgrade). I would love to build on a 4070 if its that cheap and ride out another 4-5 years.
Current rumors say: 4070 with 300W power draw, at least on par with a 3080 on rasterization, but improved RT performance.

spronk

FPS noob

1659889534955.png

compare that to the right side 30xx line (4k timespy extreme)

1659889693048.png

which means a 4070 is ~3090 while a 4090 is 2x 3090.