NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm honestly considering going back to nVidia. I was just going to snag a "cheap" 6900XT, but I think the 4070 outperforms it slightly, no?

AMD really fucked up this gen, both from a CPU AND GPU standpoint. I had such high hopes!
I think the 4070 Ti ($799) is 10% slower than the 7900 XT ($899) in rasterization.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So, is it the crypto fags we have to thank for the $1200+ GPU's these days? I remember when $500 would get you near the top tier cards. Xbox Series X really is an incredible bargain for the price to performance compared to PC's anymore.
I'd blame Ethereum devs long before miners. They chose an algorithm that worked exceptionally well on GPUs instead of something like Bitcoin that pretty much needs custom silicon to be worth it.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So, is it the crypto fags we have to thank for the $1200+ GPU's these days? I remember when $500 would get you near the top tier cards. Xbox Series X really is an incredible bargain for the price to performance compared to PC's anymore.
It's the GPU companies who are addicted to chip shortage/Crypto pricing. They just think that is what we will pay now. They saw the scalping and want some of that jack for themselves. They are just MSRPing the scalping price.

That's just it, they seemed to be turning the corner. The Ryzen 5xxx had fantastic thermals and really sent a warning shot to Intel. The Radeon 6000 series of GPUs had very competitive performance and slightly better thermals than nVidia.

But now, they've thrown all that away with the 7000 series of chips in that they not only have horrible thermals, they also don't beat out the performance of Intel's offerings like the 5000 series did for a while. And the 7000 series of Radeon looks like a complete disaster - thermals are horrid and performance is "meh". Not that nVidia is really offering much better, but that makes it even more disappointing - they didn't have a very high bar and still missed.
eh, I wouldn't compare the CPUs to the GPUs. The GPUs can't compete at an equal level to Nvidia, where AMD was the underdog who looked like they were about to take that next step and didn't at all. Its super disappointing, to be sure, and seems like something just didn't come together right at the end. Fuck Nvidia but they are all that I own right now.

The CPUs, Intel make some big gains, particularly at the mid level and AMD didn't make any huge leaps; have to remember, though, its not quite apples-to-apples there. You can tune 7000 procs to be way cooler if you want, or go for broke and be super hot. Intel has had 5 gens (9K 10K, 11K, 12K, 13K) in the time AMD has had two (5K/7K) and is only now barely caught up/edged ahead. AMD is also set to break Intels back with the 7xxxX3d release in a few weeks. We'll see how it plays out to in the CPU market, AMD seems to just be comfortable, rather than having any killer instinct.

AMD's timing just stinks. If they could have delivered good video cards (I think they needed 2-4 more months) and X3d Chips for Christmas, they would look way better. Right now, they are wearing a lot of egg.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think it was more so the government and its fucking retarded response to Covid.

Govt tells most of the population they cant go to work.

Govt then tells everyone they cant leave their homes either for the most part.

All sources of recreation and entertainment shut down.

Govt then says " here..take $1,000 a week to do nothing but sit at home ".

Govt then cancels all student loans.

Govt then cancels rent for a large part of people.

Mortgage companies allow no payments.

Car companies allow no payments..

Joe Video Game nerd has no job, no where to go, no bills to pay...and a free $4k a month.

$1,000 for a video card wasn't shit because it was " free " money.

So here we are today imo...

• 4Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
I think it was more so the government and its fucking retarded response to Covid.

Joe Video Game nerd has no job, no where to go, no bills to pay...and a free $4k a month.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I've had a silly journey with my GPU; thankfully Micro Center rocks. I decided to do a PC upgrade and as one of my Christmas presents my wife got me a 3060 Ti (which I picked out). It was good price for performance but I saw the 3800 bought up for $780 and couldn't resist upgrading again because, for me, it was only like spending $300. I was then really happy with that since I only game on 1440p on my PC and there was nothing I could throw at it that it wouldn't perform well on. However, I then snagged a Sony A80J and thought, hmm, it might be nice to game on that TV and it would be preferable to do it in native 4k. The 3080 wasn't quite powerful enough to hit the FPS marks in 4k that I was looking for (60 or very close), so I bought the 4070 Ti today for only about $60 more. Getting a roughly 15% average FPS boost in game and 3dMark benchmarks with 5C lower temps (and that's at stock -- I haven't tried any overclocking and/or undervolting yet, so I could still get some thermal or FPS gains). I know the 4070 Ti has been shit on but in my case, $60 for 15% improvement is well worth it and it lets me hit those more consistent 60 FPS 4k marks in games like RDR2 and Cyberpunk (with max settings).

Last edited:

Singular7

Molten Core Raider

Accurate summary. Lowest IQ policy response in world history, bar-none.

We've got a ways to go and a lot of pain before the idiocy is flushed out; hopefully by RTX 8080

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Look at all those above MSRP cards, the shelves will not be lonely.
For >2 years everyone has been complaining that GPUs were always sold out.

Now they're complaining that they're not sold out fast enough.

It's amazing what gets normalized. No one would have ever gotten into this hobby if availability like the past 2 years was normal.

You can say the prices are too damn high (which they kinda are) but the alternative would be that scalpers would have bought them all and marked them up to basically the same price.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
For >2 years everyone has been complaining that GPUs were always sold out.

Now they're complaining that they're not sold out fast enough.

It's amazing what gets normalized. No one would have ever gotten into this hobby if availability like the past 2 years was normal.

You can say the prices are too damn high (which they kinda are) but the alternative would be that scalpers would have bought them all and marked them up to basically the same price.

I have no idea what that even means.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have no idea what that even means.
Prior to 2020, you could go to any online or physical store and just buy whatever GPU you wanted. They always had them, at normal prices. It was maybe hard to get one for a few weeks after launch.

Now everyone thinks that it's a failed launch if you can actually buy the thing that you want.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think most see the 4090 and its continued out of stock and wonder why the others are not doing that.

I am still waiting for a decent mid range, as I dont need anything currently out. Maybe there will be a decent 4060TI or such. Even a 3080 is a bit much for what I need(1080p, maybe eventually 1440p @ 144hz). Also I live in the desert and still air cool, so heat is a general worry(I buy my cases with air/fans in mind).

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Prior to 2020, you could go to any online or physical store and just buy whatever GPU you wanted. They always had them, at normal prices. It was maybe hard to get one for a few weeks after launch.

Now everyone thinks that it's a failed launch if you can actually buy the thing that you want.

Gotcha. I don't remember ever being able to buy a new card this close to launch though. I always had to wait quite a bit before you could let's say walk into Microcenter and snag a new card. Never mind less than a couple months.

I do couple that with pricing at this point, along with games vs card needed for great frames. I probably won't skip this generation of cards because of the resolutions I play at, but I know that my 3080ti is giving me 120+FPS at 5120x1440, not sure it's worth the cost of JUST buying my 3080ti a year ago and a new 4090 or whatever. Think I will spend my money on a new monitor instead. I'm sure people like you, me and others on this board (bang for buck + disposable income) are pretty content with last generations higher end cards.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Gotcha. I don't remember ever being able to buy a new card this close to launch though. I always had to wait quite a bit before you could let's say walk into Microcenter and snag a new card. Never mind less than a couple months.
I had to wait a few months for my 1080 GTX and it pissed me off a lot. Never had to wait for any others but then again I was pretty broke back then so it wasn't like I was lining up for one.

I think the real problem here, more than general 'inflashun' is that for basically everyone that has high-end PC gaming as their primary hobby, they likely are in their prime earning years in an industry that has been highly compensating people for 5+ years straight.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If the 7000 series 3d is anything like the 5000 3d, it will be pretty damn good.

Yeah, that's a big IF now, considering the "meh" that the 7000 series is so far. Even if it didn't have shit thermals, the performance still isn't amazing, especially when compared to how great the 5000 series was. The fact that it ALSO has shit thermals? Ooof.

spronk

FPS noob
I've had a silly journey with my GPU; thankfully Micro Center rocks. I decided to do a PC upgrade and as one of my Christmas presents my wife got me a 3060 Ti (which I picked out). It was good price for performance but I saw the 3800 bought up for $780 and couldn't resist upgrading again because, for me, it was only like spending $300. I was then really happy with that since I only game on 1440p on my PC and there was nothing I could throw at it that it wouldn't perform well on. However, I then snagged a Sony A80J and thought, hmm, it might be nice to game on that TV and it would be preferable to do it in native 4k. The 3080 wasn't quite powerful enough to hit the FPS marks in 4k that I was looking for (60 or very close), so I bought the 4070 Ti today for only about $60 more. Getting a roughly 15% average FPS boost in game and 3dMark benchmarks with 5C lower temps (and that's at stock -- I haven't tried any overclocking and/or undervolting yet, so I could still get some thermal or FPS gains). I know the 4070 Ti has been shit on but in my case, $60 for 15% improvement is well worth it and it lets me hit those more consistent 60 FPS 4k marks in games like RDR2 and Cyberpunk (with max settings).

so did microcenter just take back your 3060ti, 3080 no problems? I assume unopened within christmas return window is why?