NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If the rumors are true, this generation will be a hard time for Nvidia: Production costs for them are 50% up from Ampere for Lovelace, while AMD only has slightly higher costs, mostly for the added RAM chips (going from 256 bit bus to 384 bit bus).

So if AMD can price their 7800 XT at $699 to $799, well below the 4080 12GB easily outperforming it, while still making a nice profit. This would eat up a lot of the low to midrange market from Nvidia, which is probably where the bulk of sales for both companies are.
I'm hoping that's the case, because a 7800XT should also be a bit faster in rasterization than the 3090TI so them pricing at $800-$900 should destroy the ampere used market while also rendering this pos 408012gb worthless. A lot of interesting news should start hitting in the next few weeks. I just wish that AMD would come to the table quicker, as the quicker they release or announce specs, the quicker the market shake up happens.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Depends if AMD wants to under cut Nvidia to say fuck you, or just price their shit $100 less so still cheaper but raking in cash.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I just wish that AMD would come to the table quicker
AMD got burned by promising things they couldn't deliver on, and releasing unstable drivers. They'll probably never do that again, at least not while Lisa Su is still holding the reins.

Depends if AMD wants to under cut Nvidia to say fuck you, or just price their shit $100 less so still cheaper but raking in cash.
Unlike other companies (like Intel currently), AMD is not subsidizing GPU development by profits from from other departments. GPU development has to pay for itself, so I don't expect the cards to be below 6000 series levels.

But I also expect them to poke the shit out of Nvidia for market share, so I expect the cards to be at most $100 above their 6000 series counterparts, which would reflect the increased costs.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would like to think that those of us that buy the x090 series, ti or not, generally research and take extra precautions with research and install. Everyone has been talking about working with a new beefy PSU since the 40x0 series was announced so it shouldnt be a surprise. I cant imagine someone paying that much for the 4090 and still having an ancient PSU anyways.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I would like to think that those of us that buy the x090 series, ti or not, generally research and take extra precautions with research and install. Everyone has been talking about working with a new beefy PSU since the 40x0 series was announced so it shouldnt be a surprise. I cant imagine someone paying that much for the 4090 and still having an ancient PSU anyways.
I imagine there are far more people with their heads up their asses than not. LTT forum is going to be filled with people posting pictures of crispy hardware.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well I mean if you read the warnings on stuff you can tell there's definitely "someone", many of them really, who are that stupid. Definitely wouldn't be too surprised if a bunch of people end up complaining their new 4090 half burned or their PSU fried or whatever and it's just some old shit with a crappy adapter.

Anyway have they said when they're getting these to test and stuff? Or well when the NDA lifts?

Daidraco

Well I mean if you read the warnings on stuff you can tell there's definitely "someone", many of them really, who are that stupid. Definitely wouldn't be too surprised if a bunch of people end up complaining their new 4090 half burned or their PSU fried or whatever and it's just some old shit with a crappy adapter.

Anyway have they said when they're getting these to test and stuff? Or well when the NDA lifts?
Jay has one in his hand there, so Im guessing its an NDA thing?

nu_11

I'm fine waiting for Nvidia 5000 series but the state of the world is completely fucked

If China does try to invade Taiwan, that would severely affect price and availability of new cards

I'm really considering the RTX 4090, even though my 2080 TI does everything I need it to

Hell, Peter Zeihan just said that the iPhone 14 is the last new iPhone for a long time due to China imploding

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
3080 at MSRP a relative bargain

66171F7C-BC6E-44D0-BCFD-BED8DC8598A9.jpeg

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to need two 1600 watts PSU for 2 4090 and a 96 core threadripper. Also going to need a 20 amp outlet to support this monster.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's probably why the MSRP is getting so high on these cards, so the partners can actually get some margins back.

From what I heard is that nvidia is just wanting to milk the market. The crypto market is a huge loss for them and they need to keep their stock price high somehow.

Daidraco

lol Im imagining some kid getting yelled at by his mom cause he keeps tripping the breaker every time he gets to "that one cutscene."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol Im imagining some kid getting yelled at by his mom cause he keeps tripping the breaker every time he gets to "that one cutscene."
Browning out the neighborhood when loading 800 Skyrim mods...

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users