NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So what's the layman's opinion on everything they have heard about the 4090? I am still sitting on a 1080ti and looking to upgrade, and while I think $1600 is fucking absurd, so is $1200 for a 3090ti that's significantly less powerful.

With a 850watt power supply, what is the real significance of this cards power draw that everyone talks about? Will I be homeless from my electric bill being so high?
From some of the charts above under load this thing draws like 500+ watts. I mean its not good, but its not as bad as anticipated. sO think of it this way, if you have a 200+w proc plus a 500w vidja card, and then all the other peripherals, I would actually aim for more like 1000W to be safe. But your 850w might do the trick depending on your proc and peripherals.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So what's the layman's opinion on everything they have heard about the 4090? I am still sitting on a 1080ti and looking to upgrade, and while I think $1600 is fucking absurd, so is $1200 for a 3090ti that's significantly less powerful.

With a 850watt power supply, what is the real significance of this cards power draw that everyone talks about? Will I be homeless from my electric bill being so high?

Im awaiting AMD - i wanted Nvidia but all the cards outside of FE and Zotac look like shoeboxes. AMD may not be much better but im sure it will be cheaper and at least enough of an upgrade to run my games at 4k120.

Plus i want the liquid devil ultimate if they do it again.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im awaiting AMD - i wanted Nvidia but all the cards outside of FE and Zotac look like shoeboxes. AMD may not be much better but im sure it will be cheaper and at least enough of an upgrade to run my games at 4k120.

Plus i want the liquid devil ultimate if they do it again.
I havent looked for water cooling myself (cause Im not getting this card), but I generally expected you to get the card regardless. Are you not able to find any water cooling alternatives? A short google search comes up with choices that really help the size issue, but my concerns (outside of my obvious lack of enthusiasm over water cooling) is not only the fact I dont recognize the names of these brands - but how much is a card like the 4090 going to raise the ambient temperature of the liquid and by extension, its life expectancy.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I havent looked for water cooling myself (cause Im not getting this card), but I generally expected you to get the card regardless. Are you not able to find any water cooling alternatives? A short google search comes up with choices that really help the size issue, but my concerns (outside of my obvious lack of enthusiasm over water cooling) is not only the fact I dont recognize the names of these brands - but how much is a card like the 4090 going to raise the ambient temperature of the liquid and by extension, its life expectancy.

So in my previous setup i had the 5950x and 6900XT LDU together - The gpu rarely hit 55c and the cpu i honestly cant remember. Now the water Ambient temp i kept on F and never got over 99F. My basement ambient temps are always sub 70 degrees so overall cooling is always easy.

My gripe is on cost, water cooling is just so expensive. So far for my slow build i have the HAF 700 EVO and 3 420mm rads, im already at $1000 and i have no components. I have been looking to see if anyone in OH or MI has any CNC milling experience to get a custom distro plate made but thats even more.

Sure i could be way simple about it but its a bad habit that i cant help but overkill shit - fuck i dont even play games and im building it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure i could be way simple about it but its a bad habit that i cant help but overkill shit - fuck i dont even play games and im building it.

Lol. I mean there are more expensive hobbies, but you did pick a pretty expensive one, especially if you are the type to always want the newest thing.

Seems like such a waste though if you are not even really using the machine to what it can do.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

You can run the 4090 with a power limit of 60% and get >90% of the performance or 70% and <95% performance, still handily beating the fuck out of everything else anyone has ever produced.

It's a fucking beast of a card.

Do you need it? Probably not.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Interesting:

Yeah, manual undervolts don't seem to work on 4090, only manipulating the overall power limit. Which just makes it easier in the end.

This might be because Afterburner hasn't been updated yet though.

spronk

FPS noob
i wouldn't buy anything other than a 3080-3090ti on massive clearance ($500-600, new, max) since AMD is putting out its new line of cards in like 2 weeks

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No one wants to be first over the cliff to discount 3080 and higher to what they should be. They'll be forced to before December but they still hold out hope a mass of people will pay $800-1000 for end of generation.

Hell, EVGA is still trying to sell a B-stock 1080 Ti FTW for $630 to show how ridiculous things are.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

I’d wait for AMD maybe but your 850 PSU is fine for 4090. They draw less power than 3090 ti with less spike

nu_11

So basically Frame Generation is like that guy who pulls out a stack of $100 bills but only the top bill and bottom bill are 100 and the rest are 1s and 5s

The only thing I trust from HW Unboxed is monitor reviews

Everything else of theirs goes straight into the trash

spronk

FPS noob
just a rumor

1665716226604.png

hopefully they are smaller and less TDP than 4090

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Yea, I'm waiting for the benchmark comparisons and prices. My 1070 is still doing ok enough that a $1600 card isn't tempting me regardless of its performance.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I would have got an FE or Zotac 4090, but I had other parts to buy. Plus I’m hoping they make a 7900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate .

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nvidia pulling 4080 12gb launch lmaooooooo

I wonder if they saw the writing on the wall and will release it as a 4070 next year with a cheaper price tag. Did the bean counters get a conscience? Or did the PR guys lay into them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if they saw the writing on the wall and will release it as a 4070 next year with a cheaper price tag. Did the bean counters get a conscience? Or did the PR guys lay into them.
More like "Did Linus and/or Steve show up at their house?"