NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
That's why I went with a 4090. The extra 8gb of memory and the raw perf/$ over the 4080 was just too much to ignore.

This whole generation is a fucking mess for the consumer, but at least you can buy the things I guess...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean IDK, to me the 4080 and up just seems like a huge overkill for the games these days unless youre like into 4k+ or some shit, lol.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I mean IDK, to me the 4080 and up just seems like a huge overkill for the games these days unless youre like into 4k+ or some shit, lol.
Get an OSD and track CPU/GPU usage. I’ve got 100% GPU usage in plenty of things at 1440UW with a frame cap of 160 set.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's why I went with a 4090. The extra 8gb of memory and the raw perf/$ over the 4080 was just too much to ignore.

This whole generation is a fucking mess for the consumer, but at least you can buy the things I guess...
While I would have loved to be an absolute gigachad with a 4090, there are a few serious considerations;

1) If you arent gaming at 4k youre completely wasting that 4090 so unless you already have a good 4k monitor, thats another big expense in your build. I have a decent 1440p monitor as is so 4080 is perfect, lots of headroom left at 1440p with modern games.

2) Significantly increased power consumption, the 25-35% performance increase comes with 25-35% power increase. Meaning youre going to likely need a bigger PSU which is increased cost + the extra 125-150 watts of heat the thing puts out. Extra heat isnt big of a deal for most but sadly for me I live in a badly insulated 50 year old house.

3) Much more expensive. Cheapest 4080 atm is $1150, cheapest 4090 is $1589 a $439 increase.

As to my soon to be new computer, I bought a killawatt to see if ill actually be saving power. Testing it now Im surprised how much power my current pc is consuming, the worst so far is BF2042 averaging 650 watts.

Last edited:

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm

What Im seeing is that 4070 Ti is 70% the perf of the 4090 at 1440p, and half the cost.

If you really care about perf/$ thats the way to go

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Well yea, of course the conversation behind what card you should have revolves around what monitor you have and what games you play. As my 4090 is way tf overkill for anything I play and only when I go to play the expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 will I see any benefit from having the card. Im a strong believer in just buying a new card each generation and selling the old one, though. As that keeps me ahead of the curve at a relatively low cost to own.

As for the 4090 power usage, Big Phoenix Big Phoenix - its worth it to undervolt the card some. As we're talking just 5-10 frames difference for a big chunk of power less. Id really like to see the 50x0 series concentrate on efficiency over performance, really.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Looks like Ill be going with this. Will be reusing my Fractal Meshify S2.

Nice. About what I will be looking at, besides the 4080 and a new case. I have been gaming at 1080p this whole time still. I just bought a 1440p monitor though, so looking to get into that. No crazy refresh rate or ultrawide. And I still turn things off or low in games(fancy water, fancy skybox, shadows etc), so I don't need that much power. It sucks the midrange this generation is just bleh. most things I read or watch, are saying get a old 6800xt or something(since they are all on sale and going down) or a 30x0 series that is used(which I dont trust at all).

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Same. Just got back from Microcenter. The people demanded it.

1685075033873.png

• 9Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 9 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They don't even give you 32GB or 11 Pro, cheapskates.

So? Memory is cheap. Considering what Jay just spent for just his 4090, spending $2,999 on a complete system that has a 4090 AND a I9-13900k is a fucking good deal. Adding another 100 to upgrade the memory doesn't change that.

And if you actually check the reviews on the HP Omen 45L, they aren't bad. It has an interesting new system for cooling in the top of the case, and is just better put together than most pre-builts. There are some minor things that I don't like but they aren't a deal breaker.

I prefer to build my own systems and have been pricing out parts for a new comp for the last year. Try building a complete system with a 4090 and and 19-900k for less than 3 grand. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So? Memory is cheap. Considering what Jay just spent for just his 4090, spending $2,999 on a complete system that has a 4090 AND a I9-13900k is a fucking good deal. Adding another 100 to upgrade the memory doesn't change that.

And if you actually check the reviews on the HP Omen 45L, they aren't bad. It has an interesting new system for cooling in the top of the case, and is just better put together than most pre-builts. There are some minor things that I don't like but they aren't a deal breaker.

I prefer to build my own systems and have been pricing out parts for a new comp for the last year. Try building a complete system with a 4090 and and 19-900k for less than 3 grand. Good luck.

The memory in the HP system is pretty much trash 5200mhz stuff, needs to be replaced with 6000+. No idea on what the power supply in the system is either since they refuse to list any details at all on the wattage other than "Gold". I'd also want 2Tb minimum SSD instead of 1Tb, and ditch the spinning drive they've got.

So I'm at $100 more for the same stuff with the changes I'd want (excluding an OS and putting it together myself). PCPartpicker doesn't have a great listing of ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0 PSUs, so I just have a place holder for the price I know a Corsair 1200w Shift RMX goes for.

1685117354033.png

• 1Like

Daidraco

I just built a PC, and even if you went with the bottom dollar 4090 - that HP is still right in line with buying the parts and building it yourself. Thats a pretty tough price. With the infinity fans, Win Pro, Higher end memory, a better nvme, a better power supply and a Rog Strix version 4090 - mine comes in at 3700.

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The memory in the HP system is pretty much trash 5200mhz stuff, needs to be replaced with 6000+. No idea on what the power supply in the system is either since they refuse to list any details at all on the wattage other than "Gold". I'd also want 2Tb minimum SSD instead of 1Tb, and ditch the spinning drive they've got.

So I'm at $100 more for the same stuff with the changes I'd want (excluding an OS and putting it together myself). PCPartpicker doesn't have a great listing of ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0 PSUs, so I just have a place holder for the price I know a Corsair 1200w Shift RMX goes for.

View attachment 475150
I'll happily give some neckbearded nerd $100 and twice on Sunday just to never have to fuck with building my own PC again. 2021 was the first time I had built a PC since 2012 and I'll happily fork over the money to get it "pre-built" next time.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 5 users