NVidia GeForce RTX 50x0 cards - 70% performance increase, but AI > you

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
9,039
23,599
I just came here to bitch.

Fucking windows update last night blew up somehow. Woke up and my computer was hosed. Booting to screaming fans and a black screen. Reset cmos and all that. Turns out the update fucked up one of my ram sticks.. Unfixable. Matching the other one a crap shoot on ebay.

So I had to pay Newegg over $600 fucking dollars for 32 gb... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK AI!!!!
Turn off windows update on win 11
 
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
5,086
7,166
Turn off windows update on win 11
I don't usually have issues, especially that bad. Never that bad in fact. Stick was probably going bad anyway and the update just pushed it along.

But the timing. Jesus it's criminal how much decent ram costs today.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
25,117
31,833
yeah one of the drives on my plex nas server started reporting errors, i did get an RMA from serverpartdeals where i bought it a year ago but i bought an extra one off ebay (mfg refurb) for almost $700. same exact drive cost me $280 a year ago. it fucking sucks how AI slop has let companies triple prices on everything.

not coincidentally a bunch of reports out this week that PC sales are down like 30%, console sales down 25%, etc. no shit sherlock, food has gone up 40-50% and electronics have gone up 100%.

the fucked up thing is its only gonna get worse cuz the jews convinced our idiot president to attack Iran, now diesel is up 150% and is the building block of all shipping worldwide. next year is gonna be catastrophic, but somehow stocks will still go up.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
13,576
14,170
I just came here to bitch.

Fucking windows update last night blew up somehow. Woke up and my computer was hosed. Booting to screaming fans and a black screen. Reset cmos and all that. Turns out the update fucked up one of my ram sticks.. Unfixable. Matching the other one a crap shoot on ebay.

So I had to pay Newegg over $600 fucking dollars for 32 gb... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK AI!!!!

I'm having the same problem lately but it'll eventually start up. I don't know wtf is going on, it's a brand new PC.
 

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
3,632
6,192
I just came here to bitch.

Fucking windows update last night blew up somehow. Woke up and my computer was hosed. Booting to screaming fans and a black screen. Reset cmos and all that. Turns out the update fucked up one of my ram sticks.. Unfixable. Matching the other one a crap shoot on ebay.

So I had to pay Newegg over $600 fucking dollars for 32 gb... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK AI!!!!
I mean, MS sucks and all that but "Windows Update" didn't kill your RAM; it just died while Windows was updating, unless you have something more directly indicative that Windows Update was causative. Otherwise its just French peasants killing cats.The Great Cat Massacre - Wikipedia It's the worst time for anything, HD or Memory related at least to fail. I have a stack of unfinished project upgrades and other BS on my workbench that I felt was a $500 sign of failure; now it seems it's a $2500 spare parts pile for the Long Winter of the Rampocalypse. Hopefully it won't last that long, at least in the way the Big 3 DRAM companies (now 4 or 5? with the two new Chinese manufacturers) are indicating.
 
Last edited:

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,310
10,998
I just came here to bitch.

Fucking windows update last night blew up somehow. Woke up and my computer was hosed. Booting to screaming fans and a black screen. Reset cmos and all that. Turns out the update fucked up one of my ram sticks.. Unfixable. Matching the other one a crap shoot on ebay.

So I had to pay Newegg over $600 fucking dollars for 32 gb... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK AI!!!!
I've been doing 'hide for now' until it MAKES me do the update. Thanks for reaffirming that I am doing the right thing. really sorry about the hosed PC.