NW Montana

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
So I'll be doing research at the Flathead Lake Biological Station for 8 weeks this summer and want to get as many badass outdoor adventures in as I possibly can. This will be my second summer up there, but last year I was either stranded at the Biostation a lot of the time or was out working in the field and feel like I didn't get to experience as much as I wanted to. Any suggestions on lesser known things to do would be appreciated. I'm also on a super tight budget this time as well.

Things I did do last year: 47 mile float down the North Fork of the Flathead River starting at the Canadian Border, touristy day hikes around Glacier - Avalanche Lake, Numa Ridge, McDonald Lake, Hidden Lake, got drunk as shit at The Raven on Flathead a few times, and did an overnight backpack trip in the Jewel Basin.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you're not there now then you missed the Miles City Bucking Horse Sale, but if you wanted to go for a drive you could check out theCalgary Stampede. There is alsoBrockway Dairy Daysin July if you want to watch a rodeo/wild horse race and get drunk with a bunch of cowboys. You could also have lunch at theJersey Lilly Saloonin Ingomar. For the most part though, as you already know, it's all about hunting/fishing/boating around Flathead or driving west to the mountains.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Part of the field work I'll be doing is collecting gravid female westslope cutthroats which will mostly be done with rod and reel and a little electro-fishing. Definitely not a bad way to spend the summer. There are hiking trails everywhere up there and I guess I'm mainly looking for advice on good day hikes.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
So... you get paid to catch fish? That's pretty damned awesome. I know I've over-simplified your work description. Wish I could help with the day hike thing.
smile.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Lewis and Clark Caverns is a pretty cool place to visit if you want to do a tourist type thing. I went once a long time ago but I would like to go again.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Not adventure related but if you're in Whitefish grab a burger at the Buffalo caf?. Stopped there when I drove down to Seattle from Calgary and they were great, one was snow ghost or something, with blue cheese and onion strings...yum!

Fantastic area around there too, might head back that way myself at some point in the future, bit harder now though as I'm back living in the UK.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If you're feeling like crossing the border, you could go try some downhill mountain biking at Fernie. It's a fun little ski town. Maybe check out the Frank Slide area (Frank Slide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There's a shit ton of good camping and hiking in Southern BC that's only a couple hours away from you. And yeah, the Calgary Stampede is probably worth checking out, but you'll be shocked by how expensive everything is. The city more or less shuts down for two weeks and everyone gets fucking hammered while pretending to give a shit about cowboys and rodeos.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Iceberg Lake is an awesome day hike...shit pretty much anywhere in Glacier National Park is solid. Some good weekend trips there too for any time you have multiple days off.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya I missed Iceberg last summer and it's already at the top of the list for day hikes. I want to see an actual glacier too. Not many of those in Texas.

I've never done any mountain biking but I think I remember someone saying that Whitefish Mountain had a lot of that in the summer.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Have you checked out the Montana backpage yet for evening entertainment?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
We did that last year and it was pretty barren. If I get desperate there's a chick I hung out with a few times last summer that I can still booty call. She's not hot, but I could at least get a night's worth of free drinks and a blowie out of the deal, heheh.

Vinen

God is dead
So I'll be doing research at the Flathead Lake Biological Station for 8 weeks this summer and want to get as many badass outdoor adventures in as I possibly can. This will be my second summer up there, but last year I was either stranded at the Biostation a lot of the time or was out working in the field and feel like I didn't get to experience as much as I wanted to. Any suggestions on lesser known things to do would be appreciated. I'm also on a super tight budget this time as well.

Things I did do last year: 47 mile float down the North Fork of the Flathead River starting at the Canadian Border, touristy day hikes around Glacier - Avalanche Lake, Numa Ridge, McDonald Lake, Hidden Lake, got drunk as shit at The Raven on Flathead a few times, and did an overnight backpack trip in the Jewel Basin.
Lolz, your going to be next to my crazy sister with 9 children. (That facility is down the road from her)

When will you be out there till? My parents live in Polson and I may fly out. Could catch some brews with a random FoH person up on Polson.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I've never done any mountain biking but I think I remember someone saying that Whitefish Mountain had a lot of that in the summer.
I was talking about "downhill" mountain biking, which is different than "cross-country" mountain biking. XC is what most people think of when they say mountain biking. Riding some trails through the forest or even up a mountain, but all fairly mellow. "Downhill" mountain biking is done at ski resorts in the summer, where you use the chairlifts to get up the mountain, then you ride a 40lb monster bike down. If you're at all in to adrenaline sports, it's a lot of fun. They have the same run rating system as ski resorts, green/blue/black, where on the green runs just about anyone with a bit of biking experience can make it down and have fun, and the black ones are sheer death if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm almost positive that Whitefish doesn't have downhilling in the summer. It takes a pretty significant investment to build the trails etc, and I would imagine that in the overly litigious US a lot less resorts are interested in taking that risk. Because it's a super risky sport, even compared to skiing/boarding. In any case, that's why I mentioned Fernie, they have downhill biking in the summer.

XC biking is also a lot of fun, and you can certainly cover more distance in a day than you could hiking.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Bike Park Whitefish Mountain Resort

Looks like Whitefish has both no?

I might borrow a buddy's bike and do some cross country stuff, but as accident prone as I can be on stuff like that will probably pass on anything downhill. Both times I've taken trips in the winter to go snowboarding I've ended up in the hospital and the last thing I need is another freaking broken arm while I'm responsible for a summer's worth of field work.

@Vinen - I'll be up there June 16th through mid-August. I'll be out in the field, i.e. Glacier and Holland Lake a lot of the time but would always be down for a couple beers at The Raven if I'm around the station.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Oh yeah, if you're fragile and/or accident prone, stay the fuck away from DH. Looks like Whitefish has only recently opened up downhill trails. Good to see.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Well, I wouldn't consider myself fragile, heheh, but taking up an extreme sport at the age of 40 seems a little foolish. One of my best friends races MX and has been trying to convince me to buy a dirt bike for years now. Nope.