NW Montana

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have the 4L platypus. It's the best water filtration on the market. Zero energy and it can filter the entire bag in like 3-5 minutes tops. I fill it up then start doing whatever around the campsite.

I'll upload pics and a video if you guys want to see it.

I wouldn't recommend carrying water in either bag honestly. Just use to fill your bottles/cook when you need it. The dirty water bag seals like ziplock, I simply would never trust that in my backpack. The clean one only has a standard opening so probably trustworthy, but still....

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Never had an issue with the dirty bag popping open. It's a seriously intense zip lock.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never had an issue with the dirty bag popping open. It's a seriously intense zip lock.
It is intense, I'll give you that but you still get +1 brave points for me. I would have seriously rustled jimmies if that fucking 2/4L bag of water burst open in my backpack while I was carrying it
frown.png

It seriously is the coolest device for water filtration though. I used to have one of those Kathadin masturbation pumps and hated it. Always hated it but I wanted to have at least one option beyond death by fire methods. Funny part is I almost never carried the pump one because it was such a large pain in the ass. Now I carry the platypus thing every time....even on day hikes I'll stuff it in the bag(not full of water) because it's so damn small and light and I do drink and sweat alot. So when I stop for lunch or when I get to whatever view I'm shooting for I hang up 4L, rehydrate and refill whatever bottles I'm using and move on.

I like these threads though. I'm a hiking, camping, climbing fanatic. I've been on a downspiral lately because my dog died and he was the best hiking partner ever, but I'm slowly getting back into the social scene. I never realized how much I loved that stupid furball until I lost him.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Sorry to hear. My main hiking buddy has a Russian Terrier puppy that is so much fun to have along on hikes and ski tours, I can totally see what you mean. Watching her try to keep up with us when we're skiing down through powder is side splittingly funny. She can also carry a case of beer in a backpack, which is convenient.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Sorry about losing your pooch. I had to leave my dog back home in TX but she does love hitting the trail/canoe with me whenever we get the chance. She's never experienced any big mountains though, can't wait to get her up here at some point. I would be a little worried about her wandering off and bringing a bear back since she has no concept of a big, dog-eating mammal existing in the wild.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, if your dog isn't extremely well trained, keep it on a leash in the back country.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Last night did an overnight back country trip in the Mission Mts Wilderness. First time to do that solo. Was pretty nerve wracking being in griz and cougar territory. Good times though, it's really nice to be able to get away and still find places that are truly wild in the lower 48.

rrr_img_73352.jpg

rrr_img_73353.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Man I'm jealous. Haven't been backpacking in 3 years and I really need to go again. Even knowing everything about keeping food out of camp and how rare bear attacks are, they still get into my head the first night every time and I lay awake in my fucking uncomfortable bed and listen to every tiny noise. I still think it's some of the best fun you can have though.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Hah hah, that's exactly what I did last night. Made sure to bear bag anything that smelled a good 200 yards from camp, but still only got maybe 3 hours sleep total. Soon as the fire died down, my paranoia kicked in and I had to get up and get it going again.

One other thing that gets me is how preternaturally quiet the forests are up here at night. Down south it's a cacophony of crickets, owls, and whatever else.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Never gone BC solo. I doubt I ever will. Not because of safety or fear, it just seems totally wrong to me somehow.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I don't know tons of people up here, so it's either that or hang out with the tourists in Glacier.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You guys are hardcore. I haven't done a serious backpacking trip since I was in high school. I did hike a bit in the Alps last week though and it was awesome. And exhausting. Way more tiring than any hiking I've done in the Rockies.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Been back in TX for 8 hours and am already missing MT like crazy. Drove the Beartooth Highway on my way down, was absolutely spectacular. Also hiked up a peak in southern CO yesterday, in the Spanish Peaks Wilderness, much more elevation (13,626 ft) but was much less strenuous than most of what I did in MT. It was a great summer and looking forward to doing it again next year.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Love the Beartooth highway. Definitely the coolest mountain drive I've ever seen.