Office and gaming chairs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
well fuck my ass I guess i'll just get a standing desk

It's been over 2 years now easily, so it could be rose-colored glasses, take this with a grain of salt.

But this chair here lasted me until it broke and I was feeling the itch again recently to have it. A sure sign that these high priced ergos aren't really worth the price is just the fact I'm reconsidering grabbing one of these on restock. I'm not sure if I actually will, but it's on my mind.

Only problem is it's out of stock in vinyl, and you want the vinyl. If you go fabric I can't vouch for that.

1651519491092.png

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
About 6 months ago my used aeron finally broke. Really liked that chair and have been searching for something new instead of just snagging another used one. I'll probably get myself something nice for christmas, but in the meantime I'm trying out some under 300 chairs. After my chair broke I just went to costco to get something, and snagged this:

1660844719069.png

It fucken sucks. Ass pad flattened in about two months so you're sitting on a board. You can feel what they tried to do with the "active lumbar" and if the chair was actually designed properly, it may have worked, but it just doesn't. Zero lumbar support. It's just horrible and wrecking my back. So I ordered this:

1660844529328.png

It has great reviews and I went through a few pages of them and they seem legit (i'm highly skeptical of anything on amazon). If it's comfortable and lasts a year i'll be happy because I'll be able to put off the purchase of a real chair. I'll give a review once I put it together, but here's something funny: I got it same day about 3 hours after I ordered it. Pretty cool.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
About 6 months ago my used aeron finally broke. Really liked that chair and have been searching for something new instead of just snagging another used one.

Did you try looking for replacement parts? Parts for Aerons are usually easy to come by.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Did you try looking for replacement parts? Parts for Aerons are usually easy to come by.

Ya I had a some pieces of metal break in the tilt/adjustment box below the chair that locked everything up. I started to take it apart and look into repairs but realized my lumbar was broken and no longer functioning, and my seat mesh was starting to go south (I got the thing used like 5 years before) so who knows how many hours it had on it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ya I had a some pieces of metal break in the tilt/adjustment box below the chair that locked everything up. I started to take it apart and look into repairs but realized my lumbar was broken and no longer functioning, and my seat mesh was starting to go south (I got the thing used like 5 years before) so who knows how many hours it had on it.

Long ago a forum bro mentioned Madison Seating as a good place to get chairs and that's where I got my Aeron. They're not a Herman Miller authorized reseller, so you don't get the factory warranty, but they do provide their own 10 year warranty. I got one from them a bit over 3 years ago and it appeared to be new, just open box. No complaints on it so far.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just a little chair update. I sat in the Gesture with headrest all summer. Didn't rotate the Embody in even once in 3-4 months.

Take from that what you will. Pretty much everything I said about the Embody backrest not being long for this world came true. The nice seat couldn't save it, and it's been Gesture full time ever since.

Although I may rotate the Embody back in someday, I've basically given it graveyard treatment.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Probably going to be in the market for a new chair in the next month or two. Max I'm willing to spend is $800, but I'd like to keep it closer to $500, if possible. The only things that are a "must" are adjustable armrests, a seat cushion that doesn't hurt your ass after more than an hour of sitting, good shoulder support, and the ability to have it sit really close to the floor (my desk is really low).

I've had a Titan for 2 years, but I just can't do it anymore. The seat is amazing and my butt never gets uncomfortable, the the back/shoulder support is fucking garbage (I actually prefer chairs that don't have headrests/neck support) and it sits way too fucking high even on its lowest setting. About the only thing I like besides the ass support, is how incredibly adjustable the armrests are. It feels like such a waste of $500, but it's better than continuing to have it fuck up my back/shoulders.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
$500-800 is in the ballpark of a re-manufactured Steelcase. The companies that do them have solid reviews, however it is a decent sum of money to spend and not have a new chair.

They also sell out fast, and since the pandemic it's been more difficult to get your hands on a re-manufactured Steelcase.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I bought a herman miller aeron for my new house. Haventt used it much yet as we are still in the process of moving. It did come fully assembled though, which was cool.

Will report back. This is replacing the titan I bought in 2019.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
After years of sitting in mediocre chairs and finally starting to pay the cost in lower back pain, my wife and I went to a local office furniture wholesaler for new chairs. We had the chance to sit in all the major makes and models side by side, which was quite informative. We both ended up with Herman Millers, she an Aeron and I an Embody.

I've been sitting in it for a couple hours now and I from minute to minute I can feel my lumbar muscles finally relaxing. The lumbar/pelvic support is fucking amazing. The armrests on Steelcase chairs are A++, but for me nothing compares to the back rest on the Embody. It was totally unique in being narrow at the top, which for the first time in my life lets my shoulder blades fully settle into a neutral position with my elbows at my side. I have wide shoulders and everything else I've ever seen makes me round forward to one degree or another. I also got the Herman Miller Logitech collaboration version, which has a slightly thicker seat cushion than normal. Loving it so far, plus we got $1000+ off list between the two.

It's possible I'm too big for the chair..

This may be true. I'm 5'11'' with a short torso and my favorite parts are basically everything you hated in your other posts. The low lumbar support is exactly what I've been looking for in other chairs. If my torso were 4''-5'' longer I see how the curvature of the back could be in all the wrong spots.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
After years of sitting in mediocre chairs and finally starting to pay the cost in lower back pain, my wife and I went to a local office furniture wholesaler for new chairs. We had the chance to sit in all the major makes and models side by side, which was quite informative. We both ended up with Herman Millers, she an Aeron and I an Embody.

I've been sitting in it for a couple hours now and I from minute to minute I can feel my lumbar muscles finally relaxing. The lumbar/pelvic support is fucking amazing. The armrests on Steelcase chairs are A++, but for me nothing compares to the back rest on the Embody. It was totally unique in being narrow at the top, which for the first time in my life lets my shoulder blades fully settle into a neutral position with my elbows at my side. I have wide shoulders and everything else I've ever seen makes me round forward to one degree or another. I also got the Herman Miller Logitech collaboration version, which has a slightly thicker seat cushion than normal. Loving it so far, plus we got $1000+ off list between the two.

This may be true. I'm 5'11'' with a short torso and my favorite parts are basically everything you hated in your other posts. The low lumbar support is exactly what I've been looking for in other chairs. If my torso were 4''-5'' longer I see how the curvature of the back could be in all the wrong spots.

I did say I could see it suited for 5'10 so 5'11 makes sense. The lumbar is basically asshole level for me. YouTube reviewers who were 5'9 pointed out it wasn't going to be a good chair for taller folks, but I had to check it out for myself. The seat still kick ass.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Looks like I need some new office chair mats, as the ones I have now are cracking and splitting on our new carpet. Carpet fibers are 1/2in tall, so I guess that's medium pile? Anyone got any suggestions for some durable mats?

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Looks like I need some new office chair mats, as the ones I have now are cracking and splitting on our new carpet. Carpet fibers are 1/2in tall, so I guess that's medium pile? Anyone got any suggestions for some durable mats?

Interested in what you find/found. I would like something for my office as well. A little while ago the only thing I found was the narrow rectangle style and really I wanted something larger to span two positions as my work pc and personal pc are next to each other along my desk.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Interested in what you find/found. I would like something for my office as well. A little while ago the only thing I found was the narrow rectangle style and really I wanted something larger to span two positions as my work pc and personal pc are next to each other along my desk.

No luck so far. Everything seems built around low pile carpet, and I imagine if we get those, our fat asses are just going to sink and crack those mats as well.

In other news, I’ve been trying to actually sit in a better position posture-wise, but my SecretLab Omega absolutely fucks my tailbone when I try. I don’t know if it just doesn’t want to break in or if I’m just not sitting properly, but I could use a nice ass cushion. I think Lanx Lanx was the one who recommended that nice foam footrest a while back. Got anything for butts?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
No luck so far. Everything seems built around low pile carpet, and I imagine if we get those, our fat asses are just going to sink and crack those mats as well.

In other news, I’ve been trying to actually sit in a better position posture-wise, but my SecretLab Omega absolutely fucks my tailbone when I try. I don’t know if it just doesn’t want to break in or if I’m just not sitting properly, but I could use a nice ass cushion. I think Lanx Lanx was the one who recommended that nice foam footrest a while back. Got anything for butts?

I'm redoing my office layout to separate out my two stations and ordered a new chair through Wayfair. I know it isn't anything crazy but it was convenient when ordering office furniture. We'll see how it feels.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

i've never liked foam on butt, wouldn't know

• 1WTF

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I spent about a year looking for the perfect chair. I own aeron millers, bought other chairs 1-2k in price etc. Basically spent like 7k with not being good for like 14 hour gaming sessions. Then I finally found the only chair I've ever had that truely has no fatigue from sitting in it. I don't have to shift my weight and sit differently after 4 hours. I was looking into "24 hour" chairs that are used by 911 operators etc. Most chairs just aren't designed for a full blown gaming nerd.

Then I found that stressless makes office chairs. I had to track down a store that actually carried them as they start at 3k. And take 6 months to a year to get. Some standard configs exist in a warehouse on the east coast, but all others are custom order. Stressless Mayfair Office Chair by Ekornes You can go sit in normal stressless chairs which are easy to find, but they sit lower than the office version. The office version is rare, cause who is really buying 3k office chairs? Was the best decision for me. I may buy another for my second office. Since I work from home, I spend more time in the chair than I do my bed. Obviously this is a big purchase for "just an office chair". I wish I had done it sooner.

I just thought I had to do my duty cause you can google best chair for days, and you just keep seeing the same stuff, get a used aeron milleron craigslist, get the embody, "i like my secret labs chair" etc. I bought 2 different secret lab titan chairs, gave em to employees. I even bought expensive aeron miller pad upgrades, different heat supports, padded arm rest covers.

I guess one side effect of the quest for the best chair possible was that lots of employees got upgrades. I'm just glad I found the stressless as I was considering having a presidential chair made for like 13k. Literally the companies that build the chair to suit for a president in the oval office.

Firefox_Screenshot_2022-10-28T04-23-33.819Z.png

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm redoing my office layout to separate out my two stations and ordered a new chair through Wayfair. I know it isn't anything crazy but it was convenient when ordering office furniture. We'll see how it feels.

Just finished setting this chair up. My initial 5 minute impression is... "I don't know." It isn't immediately comfortable or uncomfortable. I do wish it had adjustable lumbar support. Maybe I just need to adjust how I sit. It is 1,000% cooler than my foam chair. My office is 10,000 degrees above my garage and already I can feel cool on my back and seat.

Not much to say after just 5 minutes. Probably going to just go to Costco and buy one of their floor mats and see how it works on my carpet.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished setting this chair up. My initial 5 minute impression is... "I don't know." It isn't immediately comfortable or uncomfortable. I do wish it had adjustable lumbar support. Maybe I just need to adjust how I sit. It is 1,000% cooler than my foam chair. My office is 10,000 degrees above my garage and already I can feel cool on my back and seat.

Not much to say after just 5 minutes. Probably going to just go to Costco and buy one of their floor mats and see how it works on my carpet.
I bought the glass mats that Costco sells for nearly the same price as the shit plastic mats - one of the best decisions I've ever made for the home office. I was worried about it breaking, but so far it's been incredible and durable as fuck. Our carpet is too thick for those shit mats.

• 1Like