Office and gaming chairs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Reading this thread I'm finding that my HM Mirra II is kind of getting uncomfortable over long work/game settings. Something about all the hard rubberized plastic surrounding the mesh that I didn't really notice at first but has started becoming bothersome.

Reading this page I thought I'd give the Amia Steelcase a whirl (that video sealed it) - was about $500 delivered in the dark blue/platinum variety. It's a 10/10 this past week so far. I'm about done with mesh in general, and for the $ this thing is great. Only thing I wish it had was the adjustable arms, but honestly they're just about perfect as configured. Wondering if I can maybe buy the better arms for a few hundo. Either way, thanks for that link! Exceptional chair so far.
Did you buy it through BTOD?

I'm sending back my Amia directly from Steelcase. I "liked" it, but for $850 I want to love the damn thing. Absolutely loved the adjustable arms, the seat was solid but a bit small? It also had a horrible creak when reclining out of the box. No idea what I'll try next. I would've probably kept the Amia for about $500 or so. I might try a Gesture next from Crandall or BTOD etc... It seems it has a slightly wider seat.

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
So the chair adventure continues.

We use Leaps at work, and my chair I sit in is wonderful. In my current back pain from wfh going into work is like therapy for me to heal. I first tried an embody at home, but the hard plastic in the lower back definitely hit me wrong, sitting for an hour would hobble me for a week. Was feeling extremely dumb for not buying the same chair I know I like.

Last December I bought a Leap v2, thinking it would be the same as my work chair that I love. Unfortunately it did the exact same thing the embody did. There’s a little strip of hard plastic that pokes through the back pad
and must hit me exactly on a nerve or something because the second I sit down I feel like I’m a stress position and can’t sit in it at all. I did try removing the adjustable lumbar which helped the pressure but didn’t remove it.

I went back to work and called our facilities guy, all he knew was they were Leaps, didn’t know if they were v1 or v2. They were purchased in 2012 so really could have been either. He did think they were “tall” which is a description I couldn’t find, but I’m wondering if they are the v1 “high back”. I’m short (5’9) so a true tall wouldn’t feel like the best chair for me but what we have at work is really incredible compared to the Embody and V2 I’ve set so much money on fire trying and hating. Crandall has a good video explaining the v2 and v1 high back and they specifically call out that the back on the highback is thicker padded and more comfortable.

Not sure my next move. Probably try a Crandall rebuilt V1 Highback. Also debating just getting some overstuffed office chair locally or drop the Gs and get one of those Stressless office chairs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Debating on my next chair attempt - Might grab a Leap v2 off Crandall or BTOD and see if that fits my back and if the seat is a bit better. I didn't hate the Amia seat, it was very lively. The back support was borderline nonexistent.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So the chair adventure continues.

We use Leaps at work, and my chair I sit in is wonderful. In my current back pain from wfh going into work is like therapy for me to heal. I first tried an embody at home, but the hard plastic in the lower back definitely hit me wrong, sitting for an hour would hobble me for a week. Was feeling extremely dumb for not buying the same chair I know I like.

Last December I bought a Leap v2, thinking it would be the same as my work chair that I love. Unfortunately it did the exact same thing the embody did. There’s a little strip of hard plastic that pokes through the back pad
and must hit me exactly on a nerve or something because the second I sit down I feel like I’m a stress position and can’t sit in it at all. I did try removing the adjustable lumbar which helped the pressure but didn’t remove it.

I went back to work and called our facilities guy, all he knew was they were Leaps, didn’t know if they were v1 or v2. They were purchased in 2012 so really could have been either. He did think they were “tall” which is a description I couldn’t find, but I’m wondering if they are the v1 “high back”. I’m short (5’9) so a true tall wouldn’t feel like the best chair for me but what we have at work is really incredible compared to the Embody and V2 I’ve set so much money on fire trying and hating. Crandall has a good video explaining the v2 and v1 high back and they specifically call out that the back on the highback is thicker padded and more comfortable.

Not sure my next move. Probably try a Crandall rebuilt V1 Highback. Also debating just getting some overstuffed office chair locally or drop the Gs and get one of those Stressless office chairs.

bring your leap 2 into work, swap it with someone elses leap 1 and bring that one home

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
So turns out my company had custom padding built into our Leaps, and the "tall" description was just a cyclinder upgrade. Had to go way down the rabbit hole through facilities - design consultants - the furniture shop to figure out why ours are so much better than the regular Steelcases. They couldn't procure me one, and my company won't sell me a 10 year old used chair ("against company policy" ffs).

Ended up getting a Crandall Leap with the enhanced seat padding and back padding. I'd definitely recommend going this route, its waaaaay more comfortable than the regular steelcase at almost half the price. It's not quite as comfortable as the one I have at work, but that one is 10 years old so hopefully after some use the Crandall I bought breaks in.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So turns out my company had custom padding built into our Leaps, and the "tall" description was just a cyclinder upgrade. Had to go way down the rabbit hole through facilities - design consultants - the furniture shop to figure out why ours are so much better than the regular Steelcases. They couldn't procure me one, and my company won't sell me a 10 year old used chair ("against company policy" ffs).

Ended up getting a Crandall Leap with the enhanced seat padding and back padding. I'd definitely recommend going this route, its waaaaay more comfortable than the regular steelcase at almost half the price. It's not quite as comfortable as the one I have at work, but that one is 10 years old so hopefully after some use the Crandall I bought breaks in.

be a shame if one of your company chairs got lost

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I have a 5 year old Secret Lab Titan which has lost a significant amount of material on the seat. It's also too big for my living room now that I have my home office desk there, it just overshadows everything. Plus it's a constant balancing act between the desk and the optimal 7.1 speaker layout which I'm not prepared to compromise on.

Was purchased July 2018 but the Secret Lab support chat has just requested my shipping address, so who knows maybe they send me a new chair or a new cover.

But anyway, because of the size I'll probably look to resell any replacement.

Any suggestions on alternatives - don't have to be a "gaming" chair. It's really the height of the SecretLab that is so overpowering

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I have given up on finding a new chair as comfortable as the one I have had for almost a dozen years now. It was a Sealy "big and tall" office chair I bought at Sam's. Actual memory foam and spring coils in the cushion hoisting my luxurious ass. It got to the point that when the fine Corinthian vegan leather started giving way I simply disassembled the arms off it, using a car seat cover I bought off Amazon to "reupholster" it. Then put a pair or Star Trek socks over the arm rests to "reupholster" those. This is the self same chair that I talked about replacing the rollers on in this thread back in 2021....

This is after I replaced the bracket on the bottom where the piston mounted to the seat since it cracked. (also documented around here somewhere...) At this point I will probably keep this going until I have replaced all parts except the glorious ass cushion...

Behold.. the Chair of Theseus

1691287558108.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I promise that everyone is doing it wrong unless they have a Steelcase Gesture or they're really, really fat.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The Dark Wizard has arrived and been assembled! 1st impression is...It's built like a tank. Heavy duty screws. Definitely made for big guys. Took less than an hour to assemble. Everything lined up damn near perfectly.

The lumbar support! The upper back support! How the hell have I not had these all these years! The more than ample seat cushion appears to be better quality. Don't see it going flat for awhile. The Ricardo Montalban Corinthian leather isn't going to break down or rip. We'll see about the seams though. The armrests could use some cushioning. They also don't go up as high as I would want. I bought new wheels also. I want rubber wheels is all.

1st impression score 9/10.

View attachment 265156

Bought this four years ago (almost to the day!). The cushion has finally gotten flat. You can feel the screws. No way for me to replace.

Did any of you big guys find a great chair?

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Bought this four years ago (almost to the day!). The cushion has finally gotten flat. You can feel the screws. No way for me to replace.

Did any of you big guys find a great chair?
I recently went back to my Maxnomic XL (had it stored in the garage the last few years).

I had been using a Gesture from Steelcase which is better in many ways, but my 6'1" 8th grader needed a new chair as he has outgrown his cheap Amazon Basics Chair he had for the last 5 years. The Maxnomic is too big for him and I didn't feel like dishing out another $500-$1,500 on a new chair for him as the price on the Gesture has skyrocketed over the last few years.

I will say the Herman Miller is the best lumbar support I have ever sat in, however, its scooped seat shape was uncomfortable for my large ass.

My biggest complaint on the Maxnomic is how wide the armrests are in relation to the seat. Not the actual arm rest pad, but the location. The best work around is angling the armrests inward at the front, but it isn't perfect.

EDIT: I also picked up this super masculine lumbar support from amazon to use with my Maxnomic.

1710353849976.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I have a 5 year old Secret Lab Titan which has lost a significant amount of material on the seat. It's also too big for my living room now that I have my home office desk there, it just overshadows everything. Plus it's a constant balancing act between the desk and the optimal 7.1 speaker layout which I'm not prepared to compromise on.

Ended up downsizing my desk to fit it in corner of my lounge to accommodate a fairly wide soundstage

Anyway , finally decided to replace the totally worn down secretlab. They offered me a voucher but it didn't work when I tried to checkout. Just tried the Herman Miller Aeron at a dept store and went for that instead.

They had the sizing labels mixed up on the display chairs but went for the bigger of the two on display, it definitely felt more comfortable when I sat on it

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Snagged a Herman Miller. Fuckit. I sit on my ass 10+ hours a day. 1500 bucks is worth it IMO on a chair.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Snagged a Herman Miller. Fuckit. I sit on my ass 10+ hours a day. 1500 bucks is worth it IMO on a chair.

if they had the embody in store to try I would have tested it for sure, but nope. There's a HM store in London but I'm not getting a 70 min train and a £60 ticket just to try a chair, lol

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Best lumbar ever! I hope your ass ain't as large as mine be because the curved didn't work for me.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
if they had the embody in store to try I would have tested it for sure, but nope. There's a HM store in London but I'm not getting a 70 min train and a £60 ticket just to try a chair, lol
In the greatest country on earth there is free return policy that covered shipping both ways.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My Aeron arrived today. Had a glance at the store website and they've since reduced the price by 15%. Fortunately they have a price promise if they discount an item within 35 days of purchase. I bought it through my business so I can also claim the 20% sales tax on top of the discount.

Obviously will take some getting used to after the Secret Lab. I put the SL on FB Marketplace for free because of how degraded the fabric is and got bombarded with requests, so reposted it for £50 and looks like someone is interested enough to pay that. My room should look a lot better without the SL looming over everything like Saurons Tower

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
In the greatest country on earth there is free return policy that covered shipping both ways.

I just made the trip to London to try the Embody at the HM store. The Aeron at home is fine so far but I want to be sure I've tried both before making a decision.

Annoyingly they only had the Aeron medium when I have the large at home. I decided to buy the Embody so will make a final decision at home.

The shipping to return is £30 for the Aeron and £50 on embody.

The Aeron was reduced by the retailer by 15% a few days after I bought it so I claimed that discount. HM have a 10% offer but not on the Embody, so it will be a decent amount more than the Aeron.

I can claim the 20% sales tax back as a business purchase though

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Herman Miller arrived.

Yeah. This chair is nice and all, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost. I will test it a couple days and decide. I did order a headrest a couple weeks ago. Should be here any day now.

aaa.jpg
bbb.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users