Older Anime Series Worth Watching

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
also no mention of black lagoon?
<3 Black Lagoon. One of my all time favorites, as well as one of a tiny handful that I feel should only be watched dubbed. Had to wait like 3 fucking years for Funimation to finally sort out all the licensing issues for the English version of Roberta's Blood Trail, but it was worth it.

I'll second Ergo Proxy too.

A few others not mentioned yet:
Mnemosyne (on Netflix as Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, and if you watch it there be sure to switch to Japanese audio... even Colleen Clinkenbeard cannot save that horrible dub)
Darker than Black (pretend season 2 doesn't exist)
Speed Grapher

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A lot awesome classics posted here including Berserk, Trigun, Bebop, Noein, and more. However I don't think I saw Code Geass listed (about as old as black lagoon) but along with the first and second series I think it was a pretty good anti-hero story.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
A lot awesome classics posted here including Berserk, Trigun, Bebop, Noein, and more. However I don't think I saw Code Geass listed (about as old as black lagoon) but along with the first and second series I think it was a pretty good anti-hero story.
I liked Code Geass but I always saw it as a Death Note ripoff with more highschool shit and robots (not a fan of either). Same could be said about Noein and Madoka.

Mnemosyne is awesome and there was another OVA with a girl in a coma fighting shit in her dream world with a bow.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
maybe it was the 2nd raid that had the episode I really liked. It was just 1 episode in particular. The show itself was watchable, but this one had me like... damn, that was a great 30 minutes.
Checking the Wiki, I'm pretty sure this was the episode:

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - 09 - Her Problems

Kaname confronts Agent Wraith about Sousuke's departure, but as she is about to get answers, Xia Yu Lan ambushes the two. Kaname outwits her pursuer until Leonard Testarossa, another Amalgam agent who is also Tessa's brother, shows up and kills Xia Yu Lan. He reveals that the assassin was a rogue agent acting outside of Amalgam's interests.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Planetes (2003-2004) 26 episodes. Probably in my top 3 for an anime series.
Monster (2004-2005) 74 episodes. Not a big fan of the genre, but Monster always stood out to me.
Mushishi (2005-2006) 26 episodes. There really isn't anything like this anime, also has a 10 episode sequel that just finished.
Usagi Drop (2011) 11 episodes. Another anime well out of my comfort zone, that ended up being a very unique and enjoyable story.
Rainbow (2011) 26 episodes. One of the better anime thrillers. Don't let the title fool you into not watching it.
Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Brothers (2012-2014) 99 episodes. One of my favorite "newer" anime. Story is still continuing expect a sequel.
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (1999) 4 OVA, even if you are not a fan of the Kenshin series, the OVA's are still a great watch.

Hotaru no Haka/Grave of the Fireflies (1988) Not much needs to be said about this movie. One of the greatest Post-war movies ever made.
Mononoke Hime/Princess Mononoke (1997) One of the highest grossing Japanese films of all time.
Sword of the Stranger (2007) Some of the best sword play scenes in anime.

Also the series mentioned by others like Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, Darker Than Black, GTO, etc. Attack on Titan is an obvious mention for newer anime that have finished airing.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
When I think of "old" anime series, I think of 70s-90s, lol. No mention of Urusei Yatsura? The original Dragon Ball? Nausicaa, of the Valley of the Wind?

Kaio

I liked Code Geass but I always saw it as a Death Note ripoff with more highschool shit and robots (not a fan of either). Same could be said about Noein and Madoka.
I'll admit that death note was fresh in my mind when I watched geass. A few stark differences in that geass had a real anti-hero and the second part of geass was actually better then the first while death note just got worse as it moved on.

Other then the fact that they both involve intelligent anti-hero's they really don't have anything else similar about them.

Also did anyone post Vision of Escaflowne?

Kaio

Second Raid was a great season IMO. Much darker and more mature than the first season.
First season was okay but I definitely liked Fumoffu better for the comedy and second raid was just much better then season one in every way.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
When I think of "old" anime series, I think of 70s-90s, lol. No mention of Urusei Yatsura? The original Dragon Ball? Nausicaa, of the Valley of the Wind?
Naussica and Mononoke are my two favorite Miyazaki films. Castle in the Sky is good for older Studio Ghibli too. Fuck grave of the fireflies, I must have no soul cause I despised both kids and just wanted them to die. Another vote for Mnemosyne, very short, only six episodes, but pretty good and a somewhat unique story.

Also the obvious Gungrave, Trigun, Basilisk, Berserk, FMA, Claymore, Death Note, Wolf's Rain. They are all at least ten years old now right, that counts.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Suprised no one has mentioned FLCL. Short series but damn is it a treat. Forget her name, but the alien chick with the bass guitar has to be one of my favorite anime characters.

Edit: Haruko is her name!

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the Texhnolyze suggestion. It's pretty good for seinen anime. One of the protagonists is a boxer. He keeps getting the crap beat out of him to the point that it's comical. The manga version no doubt has a lot more naked chicks and blood.

moribito
12 kingdoms
nodame cantabile
yakakite japan .. or w/e the show about bread is. japanology w/ peter barakan is not anime but watchable