On becoming an electrician

Kobayashi

Silver Baronet of the Realm
1,587
5,086
A lot of the time, no one knows how to read the calorie table in NFPA 70E and they just do the heaviest one. I highly doubt they 'needed' that. I had one of my supers go to the maintenance department at our office instead of me (and I had the office beside the maintenance dept) and ask what he needed for a 208V 3PH service and they set him up with one of those. Why do I care? They charged my fucking job $5K for the cost , btw he didn't need any of it.

The ones that you pump up (2nd part of video) are usually high amperage 480-600V breakers. Also if you notice the guy isn't in a full flash suit. Looks like he's wearing gloves and a long sleeved cal shirt.
Someone with more knowledge of that can speak better about it than me.

Table attached for reference.

View attachment 639516
Cat 3 or 4 gear like the first part of the video would be extremely absurd for 208, it would be really difficult to get that much available energy at that voltage.

I think you're right. That looks like a SACE Emax breaker, which is 600V class and >1000A. I suspect that's arc resistant switchgear based on the end of that video, the front panel looks to be in pretty good shape and the arc flash energy was diverted upwards. Regardless, screw all this PPE. Fuck racking, charging, or operating one of those manually anywhere nearby. I'd rather get a chicken switch and do anything dangerous in a t-shirt 100ft away.
 

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
9,884
9,824
Rush job last month.
Spent 2 shifts doing 4 days of work. Whole thing ended with a disconnect a 55 foot run of 2 1/2 EMT up a wall through the red iron ceiling and back down landed onto the control box for a new machine. Black iron air line done as well.
Was right, was beautiful.

Few days later we have to move it all 4 feet to the right because of overhead crane. Zero people shared crane plans with us. I hate doing shit twice…
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
<Bronze Donator>
32,692
64,542
Rush job last month.
Spent 2 shifts doing 4 days of work. Whole thing ended with a disconnect a 55 foot run of 2 1/2 EMT up a wall through the red iron ceiling and back down landed onto the control box for a new machine. Black iron air line done as well.
Was right, was beautiful.

Few days later we have to move it all 4 feet to the right because of overhead crane. Zero people shared crane plans with us. I hate doing shit twice…
Twice the pay. What's to hate?
 

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,222
10,916
Rush job last month.
Spent 2 shifts doing 4 days of work. Whole thing ended with a disconnect a 55 foot run of 2 1/2 EMT up a wall through the red iron ceiling and back down landed onto the control box for a new machine. Black iron air line done as well.
Was right, was beautiful.

Few days later we have to move it all 4 feet to the right because of overhead crane. Zero people shared crane plans with us. I hate doing shit twice…
here is something for you all to consider. The most unorganized, most poorly designed job I ever did in my career was a maintenance facility for US Airways. You know, where they work on airplanes that people fly in. And it wasn't like it was a hard design, everything was moving from Greensboro NC to Charlotte NC (look on a map of NC , it's not that far). Unorganized to the point where the Senior GC PM and the principal architect almost got in a fist fight at a project meeting.

Gonna get real redneck here. Any old school NASCAR peeps know forever Elmo Langley drove the pace cars at the races, his son Elmo Langley jr was the head of maintenance at the airport, and a licensed electrician. He told me to 'make it work' and charge them. That's what I did. On this particular project I had 3 inspections not only before I had a permit but before I had permittable plans.

I mean to the point at one job meeting some equipment was coming (relocated) and I met the truck on the highway and climbed on the back & started looking at the power requirments before it was on the job. In this particular instance, the EXISTING equipment was 277/480/3PH and they had it designed to go to a panel without a neutral.

Sorry to highjack your thread Hatorade Hatorade , I've thought of starting a 'construction war stories' thread myself. The amount of shit that happens during a build out is untrue.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user