Outriders (Squeenix looter shooter)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
its the overly shaky "hand held camera" effect in EVERY cutscene that gives me pause. if whoever decided on that has any kind of real sway in the development of the game it really makes me worried

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
its the overly shaky "hand held camera" effect in EVERY cutscene that gives me pause. if whoever decided on that has any kind of real sway in the development of the game it really makes me worried
I bet that same person is the one that decided you should take another step after you stop moving too.

Would add so much to the game if it was just a little bit slower.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I made some INI change that helped head bob, weapon bob and motion blur. Made the game much more playable for me. Really hard to get used to the gameplay style.

My only real complaint is the "get behind cover" button seems to be janky to me.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Played about 20 minutes and I was extremely underwhelmed. The best part was probably the shooting and it’s only just average. Every other aspect of the game that matters is trash.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know why these game devs don't let you turn off motion blur in options. It was the first thing I looked for in settings and it didn't have it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wasn't bad. Definitely not worth $60 though.

If this was a $30 game I might consider it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I get home from a Dr appt, eager to load up the demo and XBOX Live has decided to stop working, so we switched over and played on PS5. My verdict after playing through the prologue and the first mission in Rift town? I don't know what I expected but the whole game has a kind of ugly/mean aesthetic to it. You could tell from the art but it just felt like dirty post-apocalyptic Anthem without the suits. For character creation, the faces all sucked, no blondes apparently make it off-world.

The story so far seems meh; I wouldn't trust these people to make a sandwich much less settle a world. Without much study, it seems, folks just land and start breathing the air and chopping down trees, like it was Australia. "Look, black goop!" "Seems bad, note that down." "Check!" FFS. The rest of the narrative seems ripped straight from Anthem, except I am sure there are parts that I haven't gotten to that make it come together for at least some coherence. Maybe. At least Anthem didn't feel like mainlining despair in a WW1 trench, or Bartertown at best. The classes, too, seem almost 1:1 mapped over from Anthem. Devastator/Colossus, Pyromancer/Storm, Trickster/Interceptor, Technomancer/Ranger. The heals being generated from kills to help push the action is a nifty idea, though.

It doesn't quite make as much sense on a planet where "people are eating their children" and the human population was only 500,000 to begin with and they couldn't reportedly grow food due to the Anomaly, not spoilers, all stuff you find out in the first 20 min. Basically, you are trapped in the first valley where humanity landed and every person you kill, including all the bodies regularly strewn about the landscape, are pushing humanity towards extinction. Awesome. Destiny had the Last City but you weren't killing humans like dirty vermin constantly. The Demo starts with "we killed Earth". Then you slaughter 50ish of the surviving humans across two different firefights. Huzzah!

Skill trees won't get filled in for the demo, major nodes are missing, IIRC. Item drops haven't been great but only on world 2 (which is basically dynamic difficulty setting, can only be manually set once unlocked) ATM, not that many missions in.

Will keep playing at least one character through the end and hopefully I will be eating these words, in total love with the game, overlooking the setup and they have some world building that makes sense by the time the Demo is done that makes sense, or I missed something ( there is a time jump in the prologue that might explain why lives are so cheap, even with this probably being humanities last chance.) etc. Or at least I don't pay money for this garbage. Thanks SQUEENIX for the Demo, and my learning this time from the Avengers.

Will say this in its favor: Gunplay wasn't bad and we had a pretty cool moment. I got way over-extended on a rescue mission you do early on, and ran right up to a monster closet. A ton of stuff runs out, and I am playing a Devastator, armor/skin up whatever that skill is called. My buddy playing a Trickster drops a Time Slow dome on me, and we shotgun the whole crowd to death stranding around me, like 12 or so mobs. It was memorable that I walked out of that not just alive but full health. So the game play might be great.

Cut scenes regularly so far in the demo lost lip sync/timing on PS5. Will play more but will not be pre-ordering.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, like pretty much every single game released in at least the past 6-7 years or so, wait for a year and/or a 50+% off sale.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I didn't care for it solo, but playing with friends is where it really shined. I look forward to launch.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So played for a few hours with a friend. We had fun so far.

I played a Devastator and he played a Technomancer. We had a few cool combos where his Cryo Turret would freeze a bunch of enemies and I would Earthquake and everything would die. I felt pretty tanky as a Devastator, I like the kill stuff from close range to heal myself, it made for fun gameplay as a tank class.

Aside from frame drop and lip synched being bad sometimes during cutscene i had no issues during gameplay on the PS5, game ran fine.

The game isn’t exceptional, it’s a basic looter shooter but I thought it was pretty good. The little loot I got was ok, got a hat that had a mod that made my Earthquake skill inflict bleed, I had a gun that inflicted bleed also, not sure if they stack. I had a shotgun that healed me for every enemy I killed when I reloaded which was pretty nice and fit the tank close range fighting.

I haven’t pre-ordered yet but feel I will most likely do...mostly because me and my friend enjoyed these coop games. It felt like Division but with special powera.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It definitely gets better after world tier 4 or so. Difficulty ramps up and the item drops are way better. Blue tier items start to impact your skills, which makes it fun.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Didn't know about this game until today. Man, the demo had me at the beginning with the starting of exploration and colonizing a new alien planet but then it all goes to shit and I didn't find it as fun. Maybe it branches out but the demo isn't doing it any favors for me. I did enjoy playing as a technomancer but I don't know if I'm ready to put down another $60 for a looter shooter. Saving McCain quest gave me a chuckle though. I also experienced several lip sync issues on the PS5 and had one or two crashes.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Without spoiling anything you do eventually get out of the starting valley and back to a more 'explore alien world' type game. It's very Anthem but done by the studio which originated the Gears of War franchise hence the very obvious Gears DNA throughout.

They publically stated this is not a live service game, it's not a DLC game or a loot box game. They wanted to make a looter shooter game that was standalone but co-op that you could play with your friends and have a good time with but which had a definite ending. You can go back and play through sections at higher difficulty ala Diablo and continue enjoying it with friends but without any seasonal or intentionally dragged out narrative. If it's successful then they will make another one.

So far it's a blast to play with friends with some crazy Mortal Kombat abilities and thats all I want.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
It definitely gets better after world tier 4 or so. Difficulty ramps up and the item drops are way better. Blue tier items start to impact your skills, which makes it fun.
Yeah blue tier seems like what you will build your character with. I wonder what legendary items will do. I like the world tier progression as I think it will be a natural difficulty level. there are 15 world tiers and I'm just at 4. Died a couple of times but now that I have better loot I'm climbing the world tier ladder. There is a lot more going on then what's explained in the demo it seems. I was kinda like blah when I first played but the game grew on me as I leveled up a little bit and gained some gear. Also it's 22% off on GMG so it comes out to like 46 bucks.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Without spoiling anything you do eventually get out of the starting valley and back to a more 'explore alien world' type game. It's very Anthem but done by the studio which originated the Gears of War franchise hence the very obvious Gears DNA throughout.

They publically stated this is not a live service game, it's not a DLC game or a loot box game. They wanted to make a looter shooter game that was standalone but co-op that you could play with your friends and have a good time with but which had a definite ending. You can go back and play through sections at higher difficulty ala Diablo and continue enjoying it with friends but without any seasonal or intentionally dragged out narrative. If it's successful then they will make another one.

So far it's a blast to play with friends with some crazy Mortal Kombat abilities and thats all I want.
Yeah, a game I run through with buddies maybe once or twice isn't something I'm willing to pay $60 for in 2021 - just too many options out there. Like I said, I think this game has value at $30, but it just isn't a $60 game for me.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Played through it with Trickster and Devastator on Xbox, and Technomancer on PC. My current opinion of the classes is that Trickster is garbage and Devastator is definitely what I'd play if I was buying it on console. Devastator kills better than the "rogue" even though it's the tank class (and unlike the Trickster doesn't die when enemies so much as look in its direction).

Technomancer is weird. The skills are really strong, but also really clunky to use if you're used to playing Division 1/2 skill builds. Rifles and sniper rifles trivialize all the content currently available too, provided you can aim reasonably well. It's also the class which I found the armor perks to be most useful on. I've currently got 2 grenade/mine uses that do like 60% more damage than base, and I can use 2 magazines with decay bullets instead of just one. I'll probably try Pyro at some point, but I think Techno is going to be the easy choice for first class if I still buy the game at release.

Still really wishing there was some way to try out all the abilities though, since the later abilities of each class could completely change all that.