Overwatch 2

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
World cup wildcards started. Chat is pissed! Took the mods awhile to get it slowed down.

People act like overwatch 2 cost 50 dollars or something?
Considering it was near impossible to unlock the new heroes outside of paying for passes, yes it was.

And remember they deleted OW1 which we paid for to usher OW2.

Lol.

10 years from now the only thing OW will be remembered for is the endless r34 it spawned.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Here's my moron take on it.
When they made the announcement 2019 pve was just a concept, a way to sell OW2. The push probably came from corporate to find something "big" for OW2. The devs had most likely toyed with the idea, and just the idea, of pve in the past and how cool it would be, so they jumped on it. They announced it, and reception was great. The next year and a half, the team was just throwing shit on the wall, just to see if something sticks. Nothing did because very early on they realized that the game was not built for pve and in order to make it work, they most likely had to remake the whole game down to core netcode or some shit. And that would cost a colossal amount of money. Then covid happened and everything stopped because you can't develop a new game from home office. You can make expansion and stuff but not build something from the ground up. Covid ended, people left, no one to make the game, they struggled and eventually corporate stepped in and said, fucking release the game. So they did, without the pve. Knowing already that the pve part would never make it

below is a wall of PR speak from the game director. Talking a lot and saying nothing

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You're overthinking it.

There were never any real plans for PvE - Overwatch was a dead game in Blizzards eyes, and OW2 was the easiest way to "revive" it, IE get the microtransactions flowing again.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Molten Core Raider
On a non-pve shitstorm related note, I saw an article that said if you've played OW2 from Day 1 and made sure to complete all challenges and passes as a F2P player, you will just now, 7 months in, finally have earned enough premium currency to buy one legendary skin from the shop.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

You're overthinking it.

There were never any real plans for PvE - Overwatch was a dead game in Blizzards eyes, and OW2 was the easiest way to "revive" it, IE get the microtransactions flowing again.

Not dead, but not as profitable. Curious that OW2 was announced right after Belgium had banned loot boxes. Execs at Activision probably got spooked and pushed for a non-loot box version of OW

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This is a great match with probably the craziest push map yet. The top contenders team on a 31 game winstreak vs the league top seed in the eastern region. Hopefully the timestamp works:

O2 is Sanfran's academy team, Infernal is the rebranded Philly.

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
YT6DTFD.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Crushed under the weight of gigatons of Pharah/Mercy fanart I guess they caved :emoji_laughing: I don't mind it.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Picard

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I don't know if this is fan or blizz made but I love this. It's like an anime intro for the tournament this weekend:

• 1Barf
  • 1Picard

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The world cup is on and I'm dying trying to watch it all. It has been all europe + asia so far but north america starts in an hour or so. I've gotten very little sleep.

Lots of old familiar faces in some of the countries. Onigod has been killing it for Norway, Logix for Spain, Oputo on Thailand etc.

They are allowing streamers to host watch parties, and if it weren't for the endless ads I'd watch them. I think my old all access pass for the league keeps me from getting ads on the main twitch channel. During breaks though I've been switching over to Jay3. He's been trying to grab players from the matches and hang out in discord with them after the matches.

The biggest surprise so far is Sweden losing 2 matches badly. They have Kevster and SparkR so people expected them to dominate. Any team with overwatch league players has ping problems though. If your team is in NA you most likely are playing from west coast to european servers.

The Saudi team is all Pharah all the time and amazing to watch. They will almost certainly advance.

China is getting a free pass through this entire stage because of all the blizzard/china problems. They decided to just auto grant them admission into the playoffs.

South Korea as of course incredibly scary and looks 10x better than any other team (as one would expect).

France has some bigtime star power. Nicogdh, Poko, Benbest, FDGod.

Hadi isn't playing for Germany. There's a young rising contenders star and Hadi wanted to give him a chance to show his stuff.

Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Week two has begun. I watched most of week 1, but skipped some of the south / central american games. With no contenders scene there they've all been getting absolutely crushed by USA, the clear favourite of the americas region.

In the east Japan and India are surprisingly strong but maybe not the caliber of Korea/China. Europe looks to be between Saudi and Finland.

Best attitude I'd give to Portugal. Super humble and just grateful to be able to take part. I've been rooting for them but europe is a tough region with loads of league talent.

If you watch either leave chat or get your blocks ready. Spammers have really been going after the Saudi matches in particular.

Cybsled

Looks pretty cool, but god they dropped the ball on not pushing for an animated series earlier. If they had released that like 3+ years ago on Netflix or whatever, it would have probably been huge

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Last edited: