Overwatch

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Oh man that movie teaser looks awesome I can't wait until the feature hits theatres.

Oh its just a game trailer for a TF2 clone? Fuck.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Hm I guess I just remember C&C as building a deathball of high tech units and rolling. I don't recall much difference in races
The hell ? Your memory is playing ticks on you I think, GDI and Nod were totally different. The different style and tone were a huge part of what made it memorable - albeit it was taken to the next level by Red Alert, which I'd point out was *also* released years prior to starcraft.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Saw an action bound to space bar, does that mean you can't jump in this game?
That seems very unlikely. All the space bar actions are what you'd expect as a keybinding for these abilities: Climb wall(hold spacebar to climb), Jetpack(hold spacebar to fly) and the wings stuff(hold spacebar to slow down falls). To me that sounds like Space is jump but on the characters that have a space centric ability, you end up using it instead of some clunky space > shift combo.

Edit: Can see a bunch of jumping on this:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Given that this is what remains of Titan AND its their first IP in 17 years I can see why Metzen was visibly nervous before the reveal. Afterall they have gone to the bank with being known as 100% success guys so failure is not an option and anything that weakens the brand is a major risk.

I wonder if Overwatch characters will show up in Heroes of the Storm before the game is actually released?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Saw a clip of him talking last night where he said almost exactly that, Qhue. He described it as the team really needing a win to get their mojo back.

I'm actually excited for this. The big reveal worked one, and I'm not even close to a MOBA/TF2 guy. Maybe my lack of experience with those games is why this looks fun.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Given that this is Activision and Superhero-ish they should go full on Skylander on this shit and get Toys for Bob to make action figures for the different characters to use as an unlock mechanism. Perhaps not the only unlock mechanism, but it would be the next logical progrrssion for kids who have aged ~5 years since the first Skylanders (and their uber geek parents)

I think Metzen was more nervous about showing off Blizzards next gen butt expanding technology

oomyzMS.gif

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Saw a clip of him talking last night where he said almost exactly that, Qhue. He described it as the team really needing a win to get their mojo back.

I'm actually excited for this. The big reveal worked one, and I'm not even close to a MOBA/TF2 guy. Maybe my lack of experience with those games is why this looks fun.
Pretty much how I feel. Also that guy was nervous as fuck on stage before/during the reveal.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Its cool they arent wasting the resources and putting out a game. But really, what is the plan here?

Is there some barrier to playing TF2 that Im not aware of? Watching the game play it pretty much looks like a reskin of it, right down to the stream healing. This has a very specific type of gameplay. Its fast twich and frantic. Everyone who likes that game is already playing TF2.

So the plan is to poach the player base from Valve? Really? Its good thing people arent fanatically loyal to Gabe. At best they have made an alternate to split the community.... at least until Valve comes out with something that completely changes the paradigm, again.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Don't think I've played a single one of these games that I've actually enjoyed as a shooter since enemy territory if you can count that, since they're all objective based team games.

Its hard to keep an open mind because it has been so long since I enjoyed an fps in this style

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't have any experience playing TF2. Does Overwatch look more or less complicated in comparison?

How well does TF2 do as an eSport? I judge eSport popularity by Twitch viewership, which has TF2 relatively low on the chart.

Its cool they arent wasting the resources and putting out a game. But really, what is the plan here?

Is there some barrier to playing TF2 that Im not aware of? Watching the game play it pretty much looks like a reskin of it, right down to the stream healing. This has a very specific type of gameplay. Its fast twich and frantic. Everyone who likes that game is already playing TF2.

So the plan is to poach the player base from Valve? Really? Its good thing people arent fanatically loyal to Gabe. At best they have made an alternate to split the community.... at least until Valve comes out with something that completely changes the paradigm, again.
if youre cynical you could see it as "so Valve took Dota from us so we take TF2 from them" but I think its more along the lines of Titan was a mess and this 6v6 pvp arena mode was the only fun thing worth salvaging

bayr_sl

shitlord
Tf2 is not an esport, its a horrible title for competitive play and very few people try. Its still immensely popular as a casual game though. Problem with blizzard games is everyone tries to force them as esports so we'll see how it goes.

But if you are a competitive player on steam you are playig csgo not tf2

Heylel

Trakanon Raider

They claim that there will be more things to do than "put crosshairs on people" as they put it. Also, supposedly you'll be able to stay alive a bit longer to actually use all those neat skills. The gameplay videos looked more like tech demos than balanced content, imo.