Overwatch

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He is 100% correct. We are all starting to settle for mediocrity. And as long as we keep buying it, and they still see revenues (The entire industry) it won't get any better.

Thank God we have Indies.
Those same indies getting special treatment for good reviews and that bitch about men? No thanks. There are tons of good games now and tons of shit ones. It's no different then it was when we were younger. The only thing that has changed is the playerbase fucking moaning about everything. You all sound like the previous generations where you walked to school 5 miles uphill in snow. I'll see you all in the steam sales thread where you bitch about how you have too many games that you will never play and fucking buy everything.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
It's not the same. There's a certain objective difference in how these modern games are designed compared to previously.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I like good games
r3gHbaB.gif

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's not the same. There's a certain objective difference in how these modern games are designed compared to previously.
There definitely is. Wether or not that difference makes the newer games worse though is entirely subjective. Flattening the skillgap so as to give the illusion that bad players are more useful isn't necessarily a bad thing. End of the day, bad players are still bad and still get trashed by good players. They just feel like it's less "cheap" because they were "close" to killing the guy. When really they weren't.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There are still tons of good games to play that are fun. Game design and games in general are way more complex then they used to be. I focus on the fun ones and simply try to avoid the bad ones. Do I like the nickel and diming and endless dlc bullshit that some franchises try to implement? Fuck no. It's still easy to avoid them or just play the base game and decide to pay for the DLC or not.

khorum

Murder Apologist
lol @ Arnold tsang's riff on Winston's 'it came from the moon' reference. I may have missed the q&a where they answered any reference to Titan tho.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Please don't pull some money grab BS with this game. Do a one time purchase + hats like TF2 or something similar. Not sure my CC could handle two Blizzard games with micro-transactions.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I'm surprised the f2pvp/p2pve model isn't more prevalent actually. Maybe the numbers aren't there to monetize the coop side of Mobas whilst keeping the competitive side totally open.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm sure you read this alreadyHeres Titan MMO Actually Wasso be careful what you wish
I actually thought that sounded pretty cool. The "normal" jobs they list in that article sound pretty mundane / boring, but I've wanted to see non-combat progression in a game for a while and it could be good (as long as the non-combat progression was focused on social activities). Disappointing they couldn't make it work.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Reading about the failed MMO aspect of it makes you wonder how the two were going to mesh. Rewatching the trailer, you definitely get the vibe of normal day-to-day with superheroes fighting in the background. But they also mention that Overwatch was cancelled (Titan anyone?) and the remnants are off being mercenaries somewhere.

Definitely makes me wonder how Titan was supposed to work. Are the heroes in Overwatch in anyway related to a player character in Titan? Class leaders? NPCs?

Regardless, if this game takes off, I hope they can bring in some PvE back into it as the heroes look really interesting.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah there seems to be this background of "We want Overwatch back" as a theme to many character back stories and bios. I wonder if they're just releasing Overwatch as a standalone PvP to try and fund some future development on some other ideas they have to branch off it. So I wonder if the game takes off and is successful if eventually Overwatch will "come back" and it needs day-to-day workers and support that isn't just PvP.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah there seems to be this background of "We want Overwatch back" as a theme to many character back stories and bios. I wonder if they're just releasing Overwatch as a standalone PvP to try and fund some future development on some other ideas they have to branch off it. So I wonder if the game takes off and is successful if eventually Overwatch will "come back" and it needs day-to-day workers and support that isn't just PvP.
Yeah, its anybody's guess but I think after so many years the pressure was on to get something out the door in an achievable amount of time, and maybe Titan was over reaching even for Blizzard. No reason it can't come back in some form bit by bit if Overwatch is successful. I read on MMO champ that there will definitely be progression of some sort involved, so that could be built upon in the future.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I'll go play Quake2-3 or TFC if I want a real FPS.
No you won't because you'll get fucking destroyed by the players who are still good at those games and have not stopped playing.

L4D competitive play actually took a lot of coordination, aiming and timing... yet it was extremely unpopular because of the difficulty. I'd bet most of the FPS purists like yourself didn't even try it, but can guarantee you'd hate it because you'd get stuck with "bad teammates" or whatever other excuse.

The games exist, the interest isn't there though from the wannabe twich FPS players like yourself. L4D took off because of its co-op elements despite being an incredible team FPS to play competitively. It's a lot easier to talk about how games don't cater to your hardcore gameplay and skill difference, but I'm sure actually playing one you'd be humbled a bit and realizeyouwon't have any fun in the games because you'll go 5-100.

Tenks

I mean twitch FPS are good games and had their place but the market has spoken that they prefer team and objective based FPS instead even for multi. If Dumar is such an FPS lord I can only imagine he's top ranked in CS:GO at the moment. Even with inferior teammates you can still carry in that game if you're good enough.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The one fact about this game that has me interested is that it's only 6v6 and not giant teams going at each other. I also assume that you can't have duplicate champs on the same team or perhaps same match? Basically typical MOBA rules? The only thing I don't like personally about the design, but a lot of people do like it is the different maps. I prefer the DOTA/LOL argument where everyone plays on the same map and the map becomes a point of reference for everyone.

Different games though I suppose.

Tenks

At the moment you can have unlimited amounts of the same class on either the same team and the other team. There isn't a picking phase the class selection appears to be more like TF2 where you select it when you drop in and can change on any respawn.