Overwatch

lost

<Bronze Donator>
honestly this day and age, blizzard is probably a huge snowflake defender. youre probably talking about xQC? but yeah lets see overwatch has made a tranny char (moira), a lesbian char (tracer) it's a liberal company and bullying isnt going to be tolerated clearly. i wouldnt joke publicly about anything if i was in OWL, yeah its the game mentality and yeah competitive is hella toxic but now youre in OWL representing blizzard's new esport.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
So someone told me an OWL guy who was actually pretty good got banned from the league because he was sarcastic about another players ability/intelligence in a private stream and linked a meme or something? Maybe one of you guys who follow OWL can tell explain better..

This is one of the bizarre things about esports, aside from the awkward name (just call it professional video gaming or something, "sport" implies athletics to 99% of the population, it's like calling magic cards, or chess "tablesports"). I often see a pretense to wanting to be seen as a major sport like Football, basketball, ect.. yet they seemingly want to eliminate behavior that is widely accepted in sports.

I Wrestled throughout college and was on the basketball team through HS at least. Anyone who's ever played any sports competitively can tell you bad language from players/coachs/opponents ect.. is part of the game and that people often say things in the heat of competition that might be extremely offensive in other circumstances but are not thought of much at all by players.

Do you even GamerGate bro?

Can’t hurt people’s feelings or exclude anyone these days.

Also I was going to ask the same about Moira.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It's kind of hard to defend XQC though. He's pretty toxic on his stream, he's been banned multiple before OWL, banned twice in OWL, and right now he's the biggest Overwatch streamer, so the most visible OWL player.

It is bad for OWL and Blizzard's image. On the other hand, I think they might have failed to prepare these kids for what was to come, and what was expected from them in term of behavior, and how everything they do would be scrutinized.

I don't feel bad for XQC, he'll be just fine streaming and making 6 figures a year easy.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think Moira is a tranny, but she very androgynous, as in a woman with very masculine traits and appearance.

Two of her skin accentuate that a bit, the Glam one that looks like David Bowie, and the Moon one I think it's called, where she has very short hair.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
So someone told me an OWL guy who was actually pretty good got banned from the league because he was sarcastic about another players ability/intelligence in a private stream and linked a meme or something? Maybe one of you guys who follow OWL can tell explain better..

This is one of the bizarre things about esports, aside from the awkward name (just call it professional video gaming or something, "sport" implies athletics to 99% of the population, it's like calling magic cards, or chess "tablesports"). I often see a pretense to wanting to be seen as a major sport like Football, basketball, ect.. yet they seemingly want to eliminate behavior that is widely accepted in sports.

I Wrestled throughout college and was on the basketball team through HS at least. Anyone who's ever played any sports competitively can tell you bad language from players/coachs/opponents ect.. is part of the game and that people often say things in the heat of competition that might be extremely offensive in other circumstances but are not thought of much at all by players.

He didn't get banned for bad language. Racism, homophobic slurs and calling other people retarded is not tolerated in other sports as far as Im aware, at least in soccer anyway. The stream wasn't private. It was his second ban. He still could have came back but his team cut him because he was a tank and therefore a major piece of the team, and with only a 12 person roster you can't really have a spot taken up by such an important role being banned so much.

Thats really all there is to it. People's opinions differ over the extent of what he said, but anyone who has worked an actual professional job knows that most have a social media policy and you have to temper what you say. I for one don't think he's homophobic/racist, and I call stupid people retarded all the time. I wouldn't call people retarded on my twitter which is linked to my profession, because I would get sacked, or at the very least have to get into a long discussion about why retarded isn't actually aimed at legit handicapped people, its just a colloquialism of my generation. Xqc is retarded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Edit: Taimou asking Fissure how to play Winston better. The Dallas BioFuel are so poorly ran from a player management perspective. It's not that their players are bad it is their coaching infrastructure.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea Dallas playing dive against the super polished dive of Boston was nutty. Boston has been vulnerable to anti dive tactics since day 1. Pull out the junkrat and cheese it up.

BTW you guys should spoiler owl game talk. I am often asleep when they are on (or I have an ale and it knocks me out during), so I usually watch the vods later.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yea Dallas playing dive against the super polished dive of Boston was nutty. Boston has been vulnerable to anti dive tactics since day 1. Pull out the junkrat and cheese it up.

BTW you guys should spoiler owl game talk. I am often asleep when they are on (or I have an ale and it knocks me out during), so I usually watch the vods later.

I'll do that in the future, never though about it sorry.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I would never think to spoiler OWL matches. It's like live sports. If you miss the live airing it's damn near impossible to avoid spoilers anyway. Guess this isn't that popular yet, but I would never record live sports and watch them later.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Moira's VA is in the top tier of OW characters along with uh Mercy Sombra Winston Junkrat? Does anyone have a coat? Or some mittens? I'd kill for some mittens.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
also helps that sombra's voice actor is fucking adorable irl

also she and mercy are like bffs or something

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't remember any video games where voice actor became so popular, also where they were used so much by the game company in events, and to promote their game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't remember any video games where voice actor became so popular, also where they were used so much by the game company in events, and to promote their game.
Most japanese games in japan do that, voice actors promotions and stuff is pretty popular over there, especially with certain specific voice actors that did famous anime characters or whatever. Outside of japan voice acting isn't really viewed favorably as much though, most people don't know voice actors at all. Mind you I'm in that category, I don't know any voice actors other than Troy Baker because I see the name thrown around all the time. And I don't even know what he sounds like either.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Brigitte won't be available in comp till Season 10. It didn't make any difference when Blizz World was released. I routinely heard people say they haven't played on the map before. The same will happen with her.