Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Damn lots of changes on the PTR.

HERO UPDATES
D.Va

Micro Missiles
  • Explosive damage reduced from 6 to 4
Developer Comments: D.Va’s burst potential is a bit too high, and her Micro Missiles are a major part of that. Currently each missile deals 3 impact damage and 6 explosive damage. We’re reducing explosive damage from 6 to 4 but leaving the impact damage the same, the net result being 22% damage reduction.
Mei
Endothermic Blaster
  • Now pierces through enemies
Developer Comments: This change helps Mei combat multiple targets that are clumped up and also makes it easier to keep her freezing a specific target if another enemy gets in the way. In addition, this change helps her ultimate more consistently be able to freeze more targets, especially if they are near each other. Note: While her shots now pierce enemies, they still do not pierce barriers such as Reinhardt’s shield.
Reaper
Death Blossom
  • Reloads Hellfire Shotguns after use
Wraith Form
  • Move speed bonus increased from 25% to 50%
  • You can now cancel the ability by pressing the Shift or Primary Fire hotkey
Developer Comments: These changes help Reaper use Wraith Form more consistently as an escape, but they also open up new options, such as chasing down key targets.
Moira
Biotic Grasp
  • Transparency increased the closer you are to a target
Coalescence
  • Now becomes more transparent the closer its visual effects are to a player’s camera
Fade
  • Transparency increased the closer you are to a target
Developer Comments: Due to issues with visibility, we have made most of Moira’s visual effects fade away the closer they are to the camera. We have also made modifications to Coalescence to greatly increase the ability for foes and allies alike to see through it when facing it.
Zenyatta
Orb of Destruction
  • Secondary fire rate of fire reduced by 15%
Developer Comments: Zenyatta is meant to be able to deal a lot of damage, especially for a support, but his alternate fire burst damage was a bit too high. This change keeps the overall damage the same but lowers the DPS slightly and makes it harder to hit multiple shots at very long ranges.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
uhh you didnt post the best part of the patch notes dude.

• GENERAL UPDATES

General
  • Players can choose to “Avoid as Teammate” with a drop down menu in the Career Profile
    Developer Comments: The addition of the “Avoid as Teammate” option gives players the ability to craft their online gameplay experience. Up to two players can be selected with this feature. If you use the “Avoid as Teammate” option on a player, the matchmaker will no longer place you on a team with the avoided player for one week. To learn more about this feature, click here.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those are some pretty big Reaper buffs. Was expecting the DVA nerf but not the zen alt fire nerf. Was actually expecting a discord nerf.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Awesome semi-final so far between Fusion and Spitfire.

LOL, Carpe on Widowmaker on defense for Fusion o King's Row did nothing and never switched. Felt like competitive. :)

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I know I'm way late to getting to this game but finally bought after kids had been playing for a bit, so in my first season. I'm finding my enjoyment seems to be going down the longer I play. Haven't played a competitive FPS in quite awhile but people seem way over the top with the hostility. Hasn't usually been directed at me but just the general way people talk to teammates is off putting. I have been playing Mercy in competitive and started at low gold had a bad streak of losses a few where the team never left the spawn and just sat there arguing, did the best I could to heal groups that had no interest whatsoever in staying together but ended up losing 8 or 9 matches in a row. That dropped me about 400 SR in a flash and groups became even more scattered and toxic.

Not wanting to be yet another person saying I'm low ranked but not deserving it, I have tried to analyze my play best way I could figure out what I can do better etc. Started trying to engage and lead a little bit in voice even though I don't want to and being so new I wasn't saying a peep originally. So long story short started winning a lot more including 10 in a row, now the frustrating part, I don't gain SR for a win anywhere approaching what I lose from a loss and despite a win rate lately that is probably not sustainable I'm stuck at 1700~ish and it just feels like I'm waiting for the next horrendous streak of teams to hit me and drive me right back down.

I would kill for a reset, next season I guess. Escaping silver as a healer doesn't really seem doable unless I get good enough to actually just fly around and pistol everyone to death as my teammates bounce against the wall blindly.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I know I'm way late to getting to this game but finally bought after kids had been playing for a bit, so in my first season. I'm finding my enjoyment seems to be going down the longer I play. Haven't played a competitive FPS in quite awhile but people seem way over the top with the hostility. Hasn't usually been directed at me but just the general way people talk to teammates is off putting. I have been playing Mercy in competitive and started at low gold had a bad streak of losses a few where the team never left the spawn and just sat there arguing, did the best I could to heal groups that had no interest whatsoever in staying together but ended up losing 8 or 9 matches in a row. That dropped me about 400 SR in a flash and groups became even more scattered and toxic.

Not wanting to be yet another person saying I'm low ranked but not deserving it, I have tried to analyze my play best way I could figure out what I can do better etc. Started trying to engage and lead a little bit in voice even though I don't want to and being so new I wasn't saying a peep originally. So long story short started winning a lot more including 10 in a row, now the frustrating part, I don't gain SR for a win anywhere approaching what I lose from a loss and despite a win rate lately that is probably not sustainable I'm stuck at 1700~ish and it just feels like I'm waiting for the next horrendous streak of teams to hit me and drive me right back down.

I would kill for a reset, next season I guess. Escaping silver as a healer doesn't really seem doable unless I get good enough to actually just fly around and pistol everyone to death as my teammates bounce against the wall blindly.

As a pretty new player myself, my finding is Competitive is ass cancer and not fun at all. I placed into Platinum so I guess I'm decent but fuck that noise.

Quick Play and Mystery Heroes are a lot of fun I think.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
QP and arcade are certainly more relaxing, spending some time playing different characters just to become more familiar with their mechanics. Only going to occasionally play a few comp matches because at least at this skill level they really aren't worth the headache, there is a chance to find a really cohesive group and the team play can be rewarding but more often than not it's a PITA.

Their response of W/L determining SR instead of contribution to support cooperation really doesn't pan out. Why not:
High SR gain from a Win and good play
Low SR gain for good play and a loss
Low sr gain for a win and shit play
Lose SR for shitty play +Loss

I'm sure there would be some work balancing just what those numbers should be, but seems player satisfaction would be a lot higher if they played their ass off and lost and a result SR didnt change instead of dropping the same as if you never left the spawn room

ex-genj

Golden Squire
They are in an impossible position regarding their ELO system. Almost certainly they have a ton of very talented statisticians and math guys pouring over what they can do to make it better and the obvious answer is this the best they can do.

Comp is the only real mode. There's some "realness" to FFA but this is a game designed around a balanced team going for objectives in order to win a (tiny) reward of SR. You won't get that in any mode other than comp. If you're a die-hard "DPS main" you'll probably not like comp too much - oh well? I flex or play whatever (lots of DVA lately so I can wreck people before the rockets nerf) and have just as much fun in any role really.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
SR gains are likely just /random 10-30. They have very little basis in performance from what I've seen.

The whole ranking system is hugely broken. I have no idea how they come to their hidden mmr measurements but just watch any grandmaster streamer and you'll constantly see players that don't belong there. There's a few in every game. You'll also see people in silver / gold that are clearly vastly better than anyone else. People often dismiss this as a smurf but many times that's just the rank they have because the way they play doesn't measure up to whatever voodoo statistics they are looking at.

I wouldn't be overly shocked if there was some kind of off by one error and your statistics affect the next person in the list's sr. Watch a high end streamer swap around between accounts and notice the huge gulf in sr gains and losses. Same person with the same skill but it can very a huge amount.

It's a fantastically designed game with fun abilities, great characters, beautiful art and animation, but terrible movement, buggy collision, buggy / incomplete audio, and really just gets worse with every patch. The good outweighs the bad though, especially if you just play arcade.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sometimes what people think is a smurf could just be somebody having one of the best games of their season. See that shit in professional sports all the time. The people that make it to the championships are the people that are consistent.

Also what do you mean by the movement collision and sound things. Sound has been superb for me as well as movement. Collision the only buggy shit I notice is with Reinhardt, but other then that the shit feels tight and smooth.

The character design reminds me of Street Fighter. I loved new nationalities and characters coming out in that game as well.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah, the SR gains seem very consistent to me. I run a LOT of smurfs because I don't find grinding at your peak fun, and its very very consistent in how you climb.

There ARE a lot of other smurfs, or people who have deliberately tanked rating, or who are 1-2 tiers above where they should be due to the wide SR range people can group. You also have people who place into gold / even early plat because its fairly easy to do that with someone like junkrat, but don't really understand the game yet and when they play other heroes their mmr drops and this leads to some very uneven feeling games. Another big one is how much a persons ability changes between characters, and how people will never swap. When smurfing ive seen some really mechanically good players, but their refusal to swap of something which is being completely countered gives them a really poor overall winrate.

If you wanna climb over the edge of silver its easier to play dps, or zen/moira. The thing is, if you haven't played fps in a long time, and are new to the game, silver isn't so bad. You're still learning, and you're playing against people who have had 8 seasons to learn the areas, and gain some semblance of ult economy, muscle memory, etc. But it is completely possible to carry out of those ranks, I think you just need to play more impactful heroes.

Also yeah, the toxicity is awful throughout the game.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't recommend climbing with zen. He is way too easy to jump and your team doesn't turn to peel often enough. Moira and Ana I feel are the most impactful healers in lower tiers. Especially Moira. I feel Moira is actually a bit overtuned right now in terms of comp, maybe not pro.

Other heroes that are great to learn and carry with in lower ranks are junk/phara and DVA/Rein. If you want to super carry you can practice Genji/Tracer as they are probably some of the hardest people to shut down if played properly. But they also have a higher skill cap then the other heroes. Of course you can play whoever you have the most fun with and one trick them all the way to the top of your skill cap.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Eh ana is hot garbage. She has the lowest winrate accross every single tier, is the most mechanically difficult hero to play, has no self sustain outside of her grenade and if you use it on yourself you lack a big part of her kit, and she generally stops doing any healing to team mates once people leap on her. Nobody can jump on zen at lower ratings, and his discord allows your team mates to actually kill something. Plus you can put out high damage yourself and 1-1 most heroes in the game.

Agree on the others except rein. Rein is an important part of a team but hard to carry on.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
See I've had the opposite experience with the ana/zen arguement. With monkey and dva being used so much I feel I can't do shit when they jump on me as Zen. At least I can sleep them with ana. I play Ana only in certain comps, mainly if we have a decent Rein as I just play her as a death baller. I'll go right in with the rein, throw an anti that also hits us and I find that nano rein is amazing in lower tiers. That anti is just so powerful at my level because people don't seem to target healers first. But really I guess it's just personal preference. I do know that a good zen can probably carry harder then any other healer if he has the protection or is left alone.

As far as Rein goes he can kind of set the tempo of a push, which is huge in lower ranks. His ult builds super fast and is still one of the most impactful ults at lower tiers. Maybe carry is the wrong word, but I feel a good rein and ana has a huge impact.

Also ana is so incredibly fun to play. I've been watching Gale_Adelade(sp?) play her a lot. That guy is absolutely sick with her.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've spoken a lot about the movement problems. On a flat surface it's fine, and feels pretty good, but it is really really easy to hang up on any detail geometry. Doorframes are expecially bad. Since the dawn of the fps, map makers have smoothed those off with invisible clip brushes so you don't snag on them. The overwatch people I feel like didn't hire anyone with fps experience or they would have spotted this day one.

There's a bigger issue where you can be knocked inside solid geometry, but it rarely happens.

For audio, there's a lingering issue that causes footsteps, ability sounds, and even ults to drop out. They have to know this exists because I've seen it happen at least twice in league games. The casters pointed it out on one occasion and kind of ignored it the other, but those were just the times I noticed.

Footsteps not only drop out, but are considerably quieter than they used to be. I think it's something they adjust now and then hero to hero. Bastion still has those loud stomps (when they don't drop out).

There's a lot of hit registration problems as well, but you notice that more in mystery heroes as the pings are more varying. They really need that change rainbow 6 did recently that sort of caps the shooter favor to 50ms or so. Would help alot with gengu / tracer. If you've ever blinked around a corner and had bullets come through 30 feet of stone and kill you anyway that's what it's about.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
True I hear all that. I just feel this game is pretty damn polished when it comes to mechanics. It's not Unreal/Quake levels of polish, but I can't find another shooter that does it better. I do hear Rainbow 6 has some solid polish though in that department.

Anyone have an opinion on the Mei buffs? I feel she'd be super strong in a Bridgette deathball comp. Does her freeze spread equally across targets or does she freeze them all at the same rate as if there were only one target? Seems like a pretty big buff.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Don't see the Mei buff as that big tbh, how often are enemies right on top of each other in that way? I first read it as her right click pierces which would have been uh nice to say the least..