Overwatch

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I got out of SIlver playing Zen. Most teams won't focus you and you can dps with him to secure kills that your normal dps are failing to do.

Plat and below has performance based SR so the game will take your performance into account.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've been in low gold for last few seasons, after being Plat for a while.

Staying in Plat for me meant a few things.

1. Limit my hero pool to just a few, mostly support and a few tanks, and mostly avoid being a DPS.

2. Be Disciplined: Don't play when tired, don't play after a bad day, stop after a few losses(usually means I'm about to tilt, or just having a bad day).

3. Communicate more, usually making more calls.

At the end of the day, I have more fun when playing a bit more relaxed, and playing more diverse pool of heroes. I still do my best to win...but playing this way, I'm a low gold not a plat player. It also means that once in a while, I totally can carry a game which is fun. :)

On a somewhat related note, Jeff Kaplan was talking about the SR and role based SR. He said they are very confident in their matchmaking system. The problem he said is that people have different SR for different role...for example, I'm easily a 2700-2900 Plat support, but I'm 2200-2300 Gold tank and maybe 1900-2100 DPS, but they use a single SR and they can't predict what I'll end up playing which can end up in games not being fun for everyone involved.

I think we'll see Role Queue at some point with potentially a different SR for each role.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have play a fair bit the last couple of weeks and it has been all over. I have climbed and dropped between gold and plat a few times. You can tell they force that 50/50 win rate shit though which kills the game. I played with a few groups and started climbing like crazy because we had normal team comps some communication and people would switch the counter or when they were countered.

Then solo games I was almost always suck in either a shield tank or healer role since the DPS would almost auto lock, even if you were to beat DPS to autolock they would not change at all. So many games with literal fucking retarded DPS. You would get a dipshit Genji going into a Winston, Mei, Moria. It's like bro you are countered by 3 pick something else. That and the number of games with a player who obviously is in the wrong rank. You end up in gold games with people who have 90% accuracy and are raping, even when they are on your team it still sucks because you know it's causing the whole matchmaker to go to shit.

I really don't get the aversion to getting rid of smurfs but oh well.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I stopped playing competitive and basically OW altogether. I went from 3010 to 2408 and that was enough from me. Aside from how annoying it is to going from Diamond to Gold, the games just became absolute utter garbage of retards instant locking dps and refusing to switch while getting countered. No matter how well I played these morons would lose games. 26k healing a game with 10k damage? Not enough for a win.

I went back and looked at my stats on Moria my most played hero and they are exactly the same as last seasons when I went high as 3150 and finished around 2850;

Current Season

Average hero damage per 10 4725
Average deaths per 10 4.72
Average elims per 10 20.35
Average final blows per 10 5.58
Average healing per 10 11153
Average obj time per 10 1:27
Average time on fire per 10 :50

Last season

Average hero damage per 10 4729
Average deaths per 10 5.26
Average elims per 10 20.21
Average final blows per 10 4.73
Average healing per 10 10903
Average obj time per 10 1:15
Average time on fire per 10 0:50

Playing literally exactly the same yet my sr is a rollercoaster to a blackhole? Problem isnt me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Two players both The same SR, about the same SR and both have 10 hours Played this season. Everything is per 10-minute averages Playing Reinhardt.

P1
Deaths 7.54
Eliminations 17.70
Final Blows 9.07
Hero damage Done 7144

P2

Deaths 9.13
Eliminations 14.95
Final Blows 6.11
Hero damage Done 5263

Now you might expect player one to have a much higher win percentage. if you are not familiar with Reinhardt stats that probably a 90% + performance in some areas like final blows vs a sub 10% one for B. This is actually a comparison between my stats on rein on one of my accounts and another guy who in my group yesterday. Anyways the guy in my group who is player B actually had a slightly higher win percentage at about 51% vs 49% for me.

Nw sure 10 hours is not a massive sample/ But it is a pretty decent sized one and it's a bit demoralizing that well above average or below average play over such a sample size can have 0 effects on win rates.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Two players both The same SR, about the same SR and both have 10 hours Played this season. Everything is per 10-minute averages Playing Reinhardt.

P1
Deaths 7.54
Eliminations 17.70
Final Blows 9.07
Hero damage Done 7144

P2

Deaths 9.13
Eliminations 14.95
Final Blows 6.11
Hero damage Done 5263

Now you might expect player one to have a much higher win percentage. if you are not familiar with Reinhardt stats that probably a 90% + performance in some areas like final blows vs a sub 10% one for B. This is actually a comparison between my stats on rein on one of my accounts and another guy who in my group yesterday. Anyways the guy in my group who is player B actually had a slightly higher win percentage at about 51% vs 49% for me.

Nw sure 10 hours is not a massive sample/ But it is a pretty decent sized one and it's a bit demoralizing that well above average or below average play over such a sample size can have 0 effects on win rates.
That's why the stats in this game don't mean a lot. When where why how, all super relevant.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
That's why the stats in this game don't mean a lot. When where why how, all super relevant.

To expand on this a little without going into a deep analysis. In this season there are tons of Rein vs Rein, and the team that wins more often than not will be the one with the Rein that blocks more Shatters than the other one. That's not reflected anywhere, Rein can have the most awesome offensive stats, if he is not blocking shatters you will lose most of the time. In a similar fashion, if Rein isn't keeping his shield down when playing against a Widow and is out swinging his hammer all the time, she'll get tons of easy picks because of free line of sight. Heck, maybe the Rein with the lower stats is an outstanding shotcaller compare to the other one that doesn't make a lot of calls, having a good shotcaller can win you a lot of games.

There's a lot more to it, but these are just 3 examples. The thing is there are far more in Overwatch than stats that will affect how well you're doing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I might try running a healer.just to get out of silver. Although it seems instalocking Ashe genji hanzo widow is a problem up through plat at least

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not really but I just keep going lower. I mean if I hit bronze oh well. I still enjoy it.

I'm the least salty of anyone I've played with recently at least

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I find duo is much better. Even if you get 4 DPS insta locks you can fill tank healer and have a chance in plat elo.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
. I find usually it's the dps that make or break the team at this low level of play.

I found this to be very true, climbing from low rank as support is pretty much not possible, as a tank it gets better but still quite hard. Strong dps carry is pretty much required .

Around plat there begins to be some team dynamics making support and tank more feasible . I think even us old farts can get into mid gold on dps if your game sense is strong and aim twitch may be lacking.

Brig is what broke this for awhile that you could climb out on her when she was OP. I’m just not a good Aimer but on one my support accounts I can play lucio at diamond level rather easily.

With a dps hero I can’t get past high silver gold depending on the character.

Which tanks to do you like?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I know we are driven by wanting to climb and improve but it’s important to remember no matter your rank you will settle in at a 50/50 win ratio no matter what .

If we play our best , in the best frame of mind and on our best character you’ll hit a certain rank that represents your abilities. We often can’t maintain our best though and it’s better to just let it find an equilibrium over hundreds of matches then just stop worrying about rank and just enjoy winning 50% of the time.

Who knows you may get better steadily over many seasons and see it creep up. Nobody who hyperfocuses rank is ever going to stay happy playing this game long .

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I know we are driven by wanting to climb and improve but it’s important to remember no matter your rank you will settle in at a 50/50 win ratio no matter what .

If we play our best , in the best frame of mind and on our best character you’ll hit a certain rank that represents your abilities. We often can’t maintain our best though and it’s better to just let it find an equilibrium over hundreds of matches then just stop worrying about rank and just enjoy winning 50% of the time.

Who knows you may get better steadily over many seasons and see it creep up. Nobody who hyperfocuses rank is ever going to stay happy playing this game long .

This is so true.

The best way to enjoy this game for me is to accept that where I am put in terms of SR is pretty much where I belong. Going from that, I just do my best, and enjoy the game.

As I said a few post back, I can get up to high plat if I want, but it's a lot of work that requires a lot of concession on my part...mostly reducing my hero pool. And those concession and the obsession to climb just made the game not fun for me.

I have way more fun in gold playing whatever I want and getting my 50% win rate and not getting frustrated because I don't climb.

Sure once in a while it's annoying to see dps insta-lock, or having terrible team comp, but for the most part when you're not obsessed with climbing you can still have fun, even if it means you accept the inevitable defeat and go for personal goals.

As for climbing, for me I found it's easier on Zen, Moira and Brigitte(still today with all the nerfs). The ability to keep your team alive and still provide dps has been the most reliable way for me to climb.

I think right now I'm around 2100SR, so anyone who wants to team up, just send me a tell in game. Usually play evening 8-11EST or so.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I found this to be very true, climbing from low rank as support is pretty much not possible, as a tank it gets better but still quite hard. Strong dps carry is pretty much required .

Around plat there begins to be some team dynamics making support and tank more feasible . I think even us old farts can get into mid gold on dps if your game sense is strong and aim twitch may be lacking.

Brig is what broke this for awhile that you could climb out on her when she was OP. I’m just not a good Aimer but on one my support accounts I can play lucio at diamond level rather easily.

With a dps hero I can’t get past high silver gold depending on the character.

Which tanks to do you like?
Usually I'll play roadhog "main" (I hate that term in this game), but I'm comfortable with all of them. Second pick is rein or dva but depending on strat I pick whatever.

Some games I can certainly carry a bit as dps as my aim is pretty good. The real issue though is those two guys that instalocked won't budge. So you either go 3 or 4 dps or you just suck it up. Then you lose anyways.

Prefer pharah or s76 but decent with most.