Overwatch

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Agreed -- I think it would be cooler if there was an all-picking phase and you were locked into that for the match. But having never played the game no idea if that would work out.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The one fact about this game that has me interested is that it's only 6v6 and not giant teams going at each other. I also assume that you can't have duplicate champs on the same team or perhaps same match? Basically typical MOBA rules? The only thing I don't like personally about the design, but a lot of people do like it is the different maps. I prefer the DOTA/LOL argument where everyone plays on the same map and the map becomes a point of reference for everyone.

Different games though I suppose.
The problem you are having is you keep calling it a MOBA.

This is Unreal Tournament meets Tribes meets Team Fortress basically. Not a MOBA at all.

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
If they have a CTF or Domination mode for this (has it been asked in any Q&As?), then I will probably play it a whole lot. But payload isn't my style. CTF and Domination both work very well with their distribution of archetypes.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
From everything I've seen and read it is probably closest to a first person Global Agenda, which is shooter heavy blend of 3PS and MMORPG.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Same, way more than you would think based on the amount of content in the game. I even enjoyed the PvE as bare bones as it was, and often played with my girlfriend.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
The one fact about this game that has me interested is that it's only 6v6 and not giant teams going at each other. I also assume that you can't have duplicate champs on the same team or perhaps same match? Basically typical MOBA rules? The only thing I don't like personally about the design, but a lot of people do like it is the different maps. I prefer the DOTA/LOL argument where everyone plays on the same map and the map becomes a point of reference for everyone.

Only having 6v6 is a turn off for me, I'd like the option of more or less. Which hopefully will happen if they have staple PC features like D-servers, custom maps, and so on.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Only having 6v6 is a turn off for me, I'd like the option of more or less. Which hopefully will happen if they have staple PC features like D-servers, custom maps, and so on.
I think the issue is the maps are all made by Blizzard (I think?) with certain objectives in mind which are tuned for certain squad sizes. If it was open-ended CTF like Tribes or something you'd have a good argument for arbitrary squad size but if the maps are more tuned than that I think keeping static squad sizes is a good way to go.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Sorry Blizzard games are VERY feature light nowadays. Expect a chat room patch a year in. You'll play the 5 maps with the one game type which they have spent millions of man hours balancing and that'll be it... the basic gameplay with be outstanding though, think how good combat feels in Diablo 3.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I played it today for a while (I'm at blizzcon). It's a fun game definitely; but very very TF2. Maybe this is why Valve and Blizzard came to an agreement with DOTA2 'You guys are taking DOTA? Ok, we'll do our own TF'.

khorum

Murder Apologist
LOL yeah they went and lawyered up into a settlement over the DOTA/WC3 IP thing. Imagine the gall to be suing Valve over DOTA2 while knowing that you had a whole team basically reskinning TF2 back at the office.

Tigole gave a huge shoutout to TF2 at the panel today though. Saying that comparisons to TF2 are a huge complement but they're doing a different kind of game somehow.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Tigole is so full of PR bullshit you basically just ignore anything he spews. Actually, that pretty much goes for all the speakers. They're trained marketing cattle now.

'TF2 is a great game, but ours is different ... we have different goals ... be more accessible and provide a new and different experience.' Gaaargleburguglelgugleeerruglur

Accessible. More accessible. SO MUCH MORE ACCESSIBLE!

Caliane

media link has a desktop bg
BlYSW7F.jpg

it has 3 more male characters not seen. all to the left.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

From what I understand, atleast at Blizzcon, duplicates were allowed and you could swap characters between deaths.

I am hoping they adopt a DotA/LoL-style character selection though, that you use for the duration. It would make team composition a bit more strategic rather than a clusterfuck free-for-all during the game.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
If the release new classes regularly al-la LoL or DOTA style then I'm all for it. But this is Blizzard we are talking about and releasing anything frequently is a laughable concept to them.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
From an e-sport watching standpoint, having a locked-in character select makes more sense.
So, with that in mind, I expect blizzard tonotdo it that way. :/

khorum

Murder Apologist
Anyone know why Metzen was so weepy during that blizzcon interview? He was getting emotional during the panel too. Were they just getting too much shit about the design or something?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Probably because it used to be Titan and he feels like he's mostly wasted the last ~6 years of his professional life.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Anyone know why Metzen was so weepy during that blizzcon interview? He was getting emotional during the panel too. Were they just getting too much shit about the design or something?
It's the firstnewIP Blizzard have done in the better part of two decades; the bloke was probably incredibly worried about people not liking it and is now giddy with relief. Despite the whole "coked-up rockstar" image, he is still basically a giant nerd doing the equivalent of starting a new RPG campaign with his friends...except there's millions of them.
smile.png