Overwatch

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Showed all the Overwatch cinematics to someone who had never seen/heard of the game before and by the end they were completely invested in the whole deal. I still wonder why they let this IP vanish from popular culture.

It's obvious they never had any clear idea on how to handle Overwatch. It was more or less scavenged from the rotting corpse of Titan, and they had a ton of backstory, way too much for your regular FPS team game.. but instead of using this colorful and interesting background (and woke as fuck, which is a good thing if you want money in this day and age; about half the roster is gay and most are also amputees with bionic limbs, plus tons of brown people) to create animated movies parallel to their main game (like Capcom does with Resident Evil) or making console and PC solo games with adventures taking place in the backstory, they only released the occasional cinematic (as awesome as they may be) and a few short and rather bland online comics.

It's hard to believe Tracer was a prominent part of marketing Ready Player One, when you consider how much Overwatch has sunk in popularity since, and that's on the devs that let it die an agonizingly slow death.

I still play it weekly to get my 9 arcade wins and my boxes but it's mostly out of habit, I don't do anything competitive and the community is pretty damn retarded.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
My son is still going strong with OW, and just keeps getting better. He is top 500 in all three roles each season with support being his best. He is now 17 and spends more time with discord OW community. THey run non official tournaments and leagues etc. Starting to be an increasingly possible chance that he could make a run at OWL when he turns 18 but will have to see if he can make some headway in contenders this fall.

Been so many years of him playing keep waiting for him to tire of it but he doesn't seem to for any length of time. At the highest rank it's a pretty small community they start knowing each other pretty well. He has had some nice matches for and against Emongg during streams. I'll have to post next time that happens so that the four of you who still play OW can watch my boy while I beam with pride at his skill and trolling.
That's awesome.

I'm sure you don't really want to put your hands too far into it, or maybe he's already doing it.. but push him to start looking at scrims/teams, if he isn't already. The networking provided is too valuable, and a good way to get recognized. Even collegiate leagues/teams have connections to orgs. I think the bus set sail for random tryouts for organizations due to establishment, and a lot of these people that are getting picked up by teams.. if its anything like most other games, isn't because of matchmaking merit; unless you're a freak of nature and more than likely a twitch streamer.. its more about minor teams making a name for themselves and getting "scouted." Think HS football > college football > NFL.

Ultimately, i'm projecting because I did not do this and it stunted my options in CS. I was too introverted, I didn't want to poke around and try out to random teams.. so I settled to friends and friends of friends.. which caused me to have to "carry" teams out of lower divisions constantly. 2006 was a different time, but I managed to be a ringer in some higher end teams, which helped paved my second wind w/ CSGO 10years too late.. accolades and such, so I was able to jump into higher divisions, play with some big names but no stage.. by that time, its too late lol.. I am no papa bicep.

eitherway, he probably a smart kid.. I definitely didn't have the foresight of it being a possibility of any sort of profit and/or reality.

With OW2 coming, there could possible be a massive paradigm shift.. so getting in those hours and connections now could be fruitful when the game hits, and there is an influx of "inconsistent" players who believe it doesn't take much to be where your kid has put in the effort.. and the more that know that effort.. the better. Using CS, CSS, CSGO, and Valorant as a point of reference. All of their Tier 1, aside from maybe original CS, didn't come out of no where technically.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
For whatever reason they felt the need to make Overwatch 2. Blizzard and new games take far too long. Overwatch should have just been a game as a service type game instead of trying to release an entirely new game especially since they have an Esport built around it. I can't imagine Siege, LoL, or DOTA2 going through this long of a content drought that OW1 is experiencing.

They did screw themselves with Overwatch 1 monetizing it. Long time players have everything, and there is zero incentive to buy loot boxes for them. I usually get all the event stuff via lootboxes for free. OWL special skins I get for free too by farming OWL tokens.
Cinematics where always Blizzards greatest strength. Maybe theyre crazy expensive due to their quality but I dont see why they wouldnt make tons of money making movies on par with their cinematics. Though the overall story of their IPs is pants on head retarded so maybe thats a good thing.

(and woke as fuck, which is a good thing if you want money in this day and age; about half the roster is gay and most are also amputees with bionic limbs, plus tons of brown people)
OW is a good game to show wokeness taking over. Skins where significantly more risque at launch compared to what they put out now and Soldier being made gay 3 years after release when absolutely none of the previous in game lore elements hinted at such a thing.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
OW is a good game to show wokeness taking over. Skins where significantly more risque at launch compared to what they put out now and Soldier being made gay 3 years after release when absolutely none of the previous in game lore elements hinted at such a thing.

Let me make this clear since it wasn't for some people : I despise that fucking woke agenda / movement.. but in this day and age, it seems pretty clear companies are going to do it until it makes them no more money. If being misogynistic homophobes made them more money, they'd do that too. Corporations have no moral compass.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That's very cool blazin! I still watch every match, though I am 20 or so behind with Mischief going on. Just making it to contenders is awesome.

The sanfran vs dallas match was a great one. Crazy to watch 2 teams crash into each other for like a minute and nobody dies. The supports are so incredible.

• 1Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Crossplay inc to OW.

PC with console friends will be able to play togeter in QP. Competitive will be 2 groups. PC and Consoles.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From the FAQ: "Cross-Play will be automatically enabled by default for all users. If you decide that you want to opt-out of the cross-play function, you may do so through the Overwatch in-game menu, or within your console’s system settings for Xbox. PC players cannot opt out of cross-play."

Why can't PC players opt out? I don't want console McCree's or Widow's on my team. What a bunch of BS. lol

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Why can't PC players opt out? I don't want console McCree's or Widow's on my team. What a bunch of BS. lol

LOL! WTF! Maybe PC pool is the largest, and they know that 99% of the PC gamers will opt out, making cross play for the consoles useless?

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Not sure about it but I think console players needs to be in group with PC players. ALso I think their QP MMR will affect game ranking.

More options is better as long as they keep competitive seperated I'm fine.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Every time I play I get 3 or 4 good games, then my latency starts bouncing between 100 and 500 and I start warping all over the place.

Seems to be only overwatch.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think maybe there's not enough players for mystery heroes in the middle of the night so it puts me on some server on the other side of the world.

One of the games everyone was speaking spanish, and my ping was bouncing between 400 and 900. Felt like swimming in a heavy tide.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I think maybe there's not enough players for mystery heroes in the middle of the night so it puts me on some server on the other side of the world.

One of the games everyone was speaking spanish, and my ping was bouncing between 400 and 900. Felt like swimming in a heavy tide.

This is likely issue , can always tell when I end up on a non east coast server.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It isn't just a late night thing, I get 2 or 3 good east coast games, then it seems to permanently switch me to west and my ping and loss go crazy.

Code:
  5    39 ms    19 ms    44 ms  be2763.ccr41.dfw03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.28
.74]
  6    32 ms    34 ms    34 ms  telia.dfw03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.10.154]
  7   575 ms     *        *     las-b23-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.123.137]
  8    58 ms    59 ms    66 ms  blizzard-ic348621-las-b23.ip.twelve99-cust.net [
62.115.178.201]

All the UDP seems to come from 24.105.*.* I wonder if I could just stick that in hosts.deny and it would give up and put me on east

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So I've been fighting this for a couple days and thought I'd share my findings.

I started with this thread
And watched router UDP traffic at my router during games. The given west coast ranges were blocked, and I got an IP outside that range to send UDP to. However when I traced it, the IP was still in socal and still going through that twelve99 cluster.

So I started gradually increasing the range into what the above post describes as east coast ranges. After several more west coast matches and an increase with each, I ended up in a 180 ping match. Turned out to be brazil :emoji_laughing:

Hilariously it actually felt quite a lot better than the usual west coast garbage. If pings are consistent and there's no packet loss, games can work with that.

So either they removed / have no east / central servers anymore, or the IP ranges are all mixed up now and I'd need some kind of individual list. Either way too much effort to play mystery heroes once in awhile.