Overwatch

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It puts way too much pressure on the lone tank, and makes for a miserable experience. It was put on experimental, and I loathed playing the times I tried playing tank. I play tank a lot in OW1 too so I like playing it normally.

Even worse feeding with one tank.

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I think I'll be done with OW when this shit goes live. It sucks because this the most played game for me with like 600 hours.

Cybsled

Is this confirmed the reason why he left?

Directly, I doubt it. I strongly suspect he was given the classic Roman option of "fall on your own sword, or we'll do it for you".

I do suspect that people higher up weren't satisfied with the pace of development and/or the direction it was taking. Like was pointed out, they tried the single super powerful tank in OW1 and pulled that experiment after feedback suggested the model wasn't popular with players. The tank had too much pressure put on them per match because they were a single point of failure (single tank dies and the team might soon follow), it more or less required you run some manner of shield setup as your sole tank since they were the only one who could provide sufficient cover (so heroes like Dva, Roadhog, and Zarya weren't ideal), and it reduced mobility because the sole tank had to stay glued to their team (punishes disrupting tanks like Winston or Dva).

The fact they are going back to this model, but really just only adding a few additional moves to the tanks, to me says the new development head felt forced to provide a "major" update to the game and present that to the player base

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I saw people spamming BRING BACK MYSTERY OMERGARD but I played it just a couple days ago. I hope that's not permanent because it is all I play.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If they could just delete tanks and make it 4 dps 2 support that would be fantastic.

FPS games should be about shooting people.

Araxen

Removing MH from Arcade never goes well. It's the most popular mode in Arcade. Apparently it's just a bug QPC and MH are missing.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
As far as Kaplans departure, i'm really betting it on that there is pressure from the higher up's that go against what he sees as a full game; he was very buy once have all type. Plus washy development time, but i'm pretty sure we are going to see the usual cash shop with purchasable skins/weapons instead of just lootboxes and more than likely a battlepass. Very Apex and maybe a little bit of CoD/Valorant in terms of monetization. I wouldn't not be surprised if they introduce a currency to purchase new heroes, which is sped through rtx.. and at the very extreme, purchasable content for PvE.. PvP would be a bit ridiculous and quite bold of them to even attempt.. I don't even think CoD charges for maps anymore. BF5, they did iirc?

I personally think the 5v5 is the best thing they can do. I think it has some protentional, given that they're trying to take the tanks into a more "Bruiser" role than just a pure me tank, me shield. Blizzcon, they said that Rein will get two fire strikes instead of one, and able to cancel his charge on command.. and while I didn't watch the PvP thing from a could days ago, but from what i'm told, Winston will now have a beamsniper as a rightclick? Tanks are essentially becoming "top laners" of the game.. and it will be just that.. more "FPS/y"

I don't watch OWL, so i'm sure someone can correct me, but from what i've gathered through here, reddit, friends, and some discords that I have been apart of.. while GOAT's was aids aka, tanks.. and barrier meta was considered very stale from a player, and viewer perspective.. which I think were the last two major meta iterations.. this change might shift it up a bit to where it won't be as damage sponge-y game.

Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
My theory on Kaplan is that he just wanted to be jobless so he could seriously no life it on the mischief server.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dunno how the guy had a job to begin with. Not like OW was doing anything other than releasing new skins ever few months for the past 4 years.

gauze

Molten Core Raider

Seems like a decent summary over the PvP dev stream, still long though.. i'm like 10 minutes in and it seems like it addresses more of the/a QnA. Sounds like its confirmed that every hero is getting some sort of rework while maintaining the integrity of that hero that we know as.. for instance Mei no longer relying on freeze/rq, but instead her left click having buffed damage output and still a slow component.. and Rein/Winston gaining extra ways to DPS in areas they were more "weak" in. In the first 5 minutes somewhere it is quoted that their goal is to speed up the game play instead of the poking/taking down tanks style meta that we usually see(GOATs/Barrier); iirc somewhere around the "healing creep" portion.

Also in short for the 1 tank, they're looking at branching away from categorizing Tank, as said Tank.. but more align to Bruiser/Brawler.. if that gives any indication of how they're trying to move forward.

I'm pretty stoked that there was mention of hybrid role being potentially on the table. It was something I mentioned when they introduced role lock.. Despite being the resident hanjo 1trick.. in terms of the prowess this game could offer, is composition creativity.. a lot of games get limited real quick, and i'm sure even with those changes.. its possible.. but it just takes one no-name team to bring in 3 tanks 3 supports and redefine the meta.
This has been my hopes/dreams for this class based shooter since the beginning.. It's why I enjoyed conceptually GOATs, and the original concept behind Symm(shield based supp). It was sad to see them pander, back down, or rewrite based on demands from the community.. I get it, but feels like they are making it hard on themselves to get it right, or find any footing.

I don't mind the fact Zen or Moira dump as much damage as they could, while healing.. Shit just buff/adjust 76s biotic field so be can be a DPS/Supp, while Moira, Zen, and Bap fit Supp/DPS.. Make things like Brig Supp/Tank, and Orisa Tank/Supp.. Adjust the game according to that, giving them percents in each field of 'power'. Design classes around being Pure DPS or Tank. Even some classes that are tryptic, where they do a little bit of everything, but nothing too great or too bad.

It would definitely open up team compositions a little bit more, even with the current 2/2/2. While queuing up as DPS main, you could still rock a zen.. The team know that zen is DPS, but the extra heals become appreciate differently. Obviously heroes would need buffs/adjustments/nerfs to more accurately reflect the idea.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
As far as Kaplans departure, i'm really betting it on that there is pressure from the higher up's that go against what he sees as a full game; he was very buy once have all type. Plus washy development time, but i'm pretty sure we are going to see the usual cash shop with purchasable skins/weapons instead of just lootboxes and more than likely a battlepass. Very Apex and maybe a little bit of CoD/Valorant in terms of monetization. I wouldn't not be surprised if they introduce a currency to purchase new heroes, which is sped through rtx.. and at the very extreme, purchasable content for PvE.. PvP would be a bit ridiculous and quite bold of them to even attempt.. I don't even think CoD charges for maps anymore. BF5, they did iirc?

I personally think the 5v5 is the best thing they can do. I think it has some protentional, given that they're trying to take the tanks into a more "Bruiser" role than just a pure me tank, me shield. Blizzcon, they said that Rein will get two fire strikes instead of one, and able to cancel his charge on command.. and while I didn't watch the PvP thing from a could days ago, but from what i'm told, Winston will now have a beamsniper as a rightclick? Tanks are essentially becoming "top laners" of the game.. and it will be just that.. more "FPS/y"

I don't watch OWL, so i'm sure someone can correct me, but from what i've gathered through here, reddit, friends, and some discords that I have been apart of.. while GOAT's was aids aka, tanks.. and barrier meta was considered very stale from a player, and viewer perspective.. which I think were the last two major meta iterations.. this change might shift it up a bit to where it won't be as damage sponge-y game.
Anything that puts actual shooting back in this FPS game would be great.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Showed all the Overwatch cinematics to someone who had never seen/heard of the game before and by the end they were completely invested in the whole deal. I still wonder why they let this IP vanish from popular culture.

Araxen

For whatever reason they felt the need to make Overwatch 2. Blizzard and new games take far too long. Overwatch should have just been a game as a service type game instead of trying to release an entirely new game especially since they have an Esport built around it. I can't imagine Siege, LoL, or DOTA2 going through this long of a content drought that OW1 is experiencing.

They did screw themselves with Overwatch 1 monetizing it. Long time players have everything, and there is zero incentive to buy loot boxes for them. I usually get all the event stuff via lootboxes for free. OWL special skins I get for free too by farming OWL tokens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My son is still going strong with OW, and just keeps getting better. He is top 500 in all three roles each season with support being his best. He is now 17 and spends more time with discord OW community. THey run non official tournaments and leagues etc. Starting to be an increasingly possible chance that he could make a run at OWL when he turns 18 but will have to see if he can make some headway in contenders this fall.

Been so many years of him playing keep waiting for him to tire of it but he doesn't seem to for any length of time. At the highest rank it's a pretty small community they start knowing each other pretty well. He has had some nice matches for and against Emongg during streams. I'll have to post next time that happens so that the four of you who still play OW can watch my boy while I beam with pride at his skill and trolling.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users