Oxygen Not Included

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
My second colony is coming along nicely.. polluted oxygen everywhere, a growing cloud of hydrogen over my base, temperature starting to rise... accidentally contaminated both of my water supplies with pollution.. no big deal! Learning for next time.... what im not sure about is what to do with all of the bottles of polluted water ive got. How can i get it into my plumbing system so that i can clean it? Is a bottle opener dropping it onto a water pump the only solution?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I always fall apart mid game. I suck at this game. Its my favorite game tho

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
what im not sure about is what to do with all of the bottles of polluted water ive got. How can i get it into my plumbing system so that i can clean it? Is a bottle opener dropping it onto a water pump the only solution?
Yeah pretty much.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I always fall apart mid game. I suck at this game. Its my favorite game tho
I dont remember if your last base had any ranches. If not, you should give them a shot. I mostly ranch for fuel and food nowadays. Keep in mind a 96-tile stable can hold 8 hatches without overcrowding and that you need to start someone as a farmer so that they can fork into rancher by the time you have the tech.

Omelettes are pretty much all the food you need till you get ppl with astronaut-tier skills.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

I never bothered with ranches in the past. Always was focused on more immediate needs.
Seem to need them for Lime>Steel late game, in my most recent game. Just not found the bio lime is in? oil or magma? haven't hit either in this base.

• 1Like

Caliane

My second colony is coming along nicely.. polluted oxygen everywhere, a growing cloud of hydrogen over my base, temperature starting to rise... accidentally contaminated both of my water supplies with pollution.. no big deal! Learning for next time.... what im not sure about is what to do with all of the bottles of polluted water ive got. How can i get it into my plumbing system so that i can clean it? Is a bottle opener dropping it onto a water pump the only solution?
yeah. you'll find source of clean water likely rare mid-late game, so much of your water will be recycled, via water pumps>water sieve like that. you may even be harvesting melted ice biomes, or cold slush geysers.

A single hydrogen gen will suck up that hydrogen cloud super fast. Almost to the point of not even worth building one yet. Better option would be to build gas tanks, or exploit super compression, and pump it into storage for a while. Later, when you have automation, and a second source of primary power, you can set the generators to swap on/off via timers, or battery charge, gas pressure etc. so like perhaps nat gas generators going when the nat gas geyser is running, but then swap to hydrogen automatically, via gas pressure, when it stops.

Air fresheners are super cheap. toss them everywhere to deal with polluted oxygen.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I never bothered with ranches in the past. Always was focused on more immediate needs.
Seem to need them for Lime>Steel late game, in my most recent game. Just not found the bio lime is in? oil or magma? haven't hit either in this base.
Lime is effectively the bottleneck for steel yeah. In OIL biomes you could mine fossil tiles and process them into lime, but ranching is probably more sustainable long-lerm. Mass Pacu Fish farms used to be the best but I think the crabs from the sand biomes are actually more productive because their molts are rich in lime and you get a molt out of them at least twice in their lifecycle, if not more.

They take some planning because they get aggressive if they can path to one of their egga so you need an autosweeper to pick those up and drop them out of their stable.

• 1Like

Caliane

oh fossils. yeah, I think I saw some in salt water biome. but, hadn''t figured out, I could crush it presumably.

khorum

Murder Apologist
There will be crab molts in the saltwater biome from crabs that lived and died there yeah. You turn the fossils and molts into lime in the manual crusher refinery.

I had just started ranching crabs for molts and I hadnt gotten around to optimizing their production at all. They seemed to eat through a ton of polluted dirt which gets pretty scarce real fast when you actually need it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
My 2nd base is still going, haven't failed completely yet..
Had deaths finally when I accidently killed two of my dupes while excavating down the bottom of my base in carbon dioxide and they trapped themselves with no way back to breathable air.. Couldn't build ladders out fast enough..

I've somehow got slimelung germs all over my base now, enough to make people slightly sick now and then but nothing they can't recover from themselves. Not sure how they got in TBH as I was only letting two people through the door to dig the slime and there were enough wash basins on the way back in to the base to clean everything.. or so i thought. Not sure whether the slimelung in the air will die off eventually but i have enough pollution around that i fear it's only going to get worse from here.

I'm mostly living off berries with the occasional omelette, until i realised i was running out of hatches because i don't have incubators yet and all the wild ones i captured eventually died of old age.

I really need to get a metal refinery happening so i can start incubating more hatches, get some sweepers, exo suits etc.
Main issue at the moment is I've used all of the starting water.. I've been aggressively digging through slime to get to polluted water basins that i am filtering through a sieve to keep me going for now. I guess i need to get off the algae terrariums which are still my main source of oxygen.. i think they are my main water consumers.

I can see a 'cool steam vent' and 'natural gas geyser' on my map well within range.. Not sure what they do but I definitely need to look in to what i can do with those.

• 1Like

Caliane

yeah, slimelung will persist and spread in polluted water/oxygen. it will die everywhere else. Air fresheners will clean polluted oxygen. Just place them around everywhere, and that should solve that problem pretty quickly.
Materials are not lost building/deconstructing remember. you can place like 100 of them, and just remove them afterwords. but generally, you'llwant to place 2-3 in every slime biome you open.

Cool steam vent will probably be a future item. when opened, it will start putting out steam. this can be a source of power and water... but also will be a ton of heat. too much for you to deal with atm.
Nat gas geyser is going to be a good boon. They produce a solid amount of energy per gas. And, leak polluted water. A useful extra bit.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
So I was so desperate for refined metal that I set up a refinery just on the edge of my base. Set up a water loop from a nearby sieve, running water in a loop from the refinery through pipes in a large pool of water then back to the refiner.. Thought that would work, buuuuut I didn't realise I needed to cool the water before sending it into the refinery.. so it rapidly overheated and burst the output pipe of the refinery, spilling scalding hot water through my base burning half of my dupes.. oops!

I guess I need to cool the water first with an aquatuner.. which no doubt is going to add even more heat to my base already struggling for food because it's mostly too hot to grow anything.. I need to set up mushrooms (which really needs suits), or hatch incubating, both of which need refined metal.. the one wheezewort seed i got from the printing pod is the only thing keeping a few of my bristle blossoms going but even that is starting to lose the battle.

Might be a stupid question, but are there any ways to get refined metal other than a metal refinery?

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I was so desperate for refined metal

Why?

100% guarantee you're trying to tech up too fast. And if your base is already overheating this is a wipe. You need to keep most heat generation out of your core base. You can make refined metal with 50% loss at the rock crusher, which is fine for a little bit of refined metal early on, but I can't imagine you actually needed refined metal as desperately as you think you did.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Oh yeah the game has been on a path to fail for 100 cycles now (since I ran out of water while still being extremely dependent on it) but I'm keeping it going as long as I can to learn the various systems for next try. The immediate needs though are food as if all of my dupes starve then it's immediately over. I am back to using mush again for now but that's rapidly burning through the water I've been cleaning and piping in to my base from all of the polluted pools I've dug out to. It's too hot to grow anything.. easiest possible solutions seem to be hatches or mushrooms. Problem is I can't reliably farm either of those without refined metal as far as I can tell. Need suits for the workers digging slime and feeding to the mushrooms. Need incubators so I can make new hatches.

I'm at 180 cycles now.. I think my main cause of issue was not expanding far enough. I spent 100 cycles or so with only 5 dupes not doing much in the starting biome. Researched everything, but wasn't ready for life without water, no proper setup for the hydrogen my electrolyzers were creating (it's spread everywhere at the top of my base and my electrolyzers are all over the place so I can't properly gather it to use it for something).

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh yeah the game has been on a path to fail for 100 cycles now (since I ran out of water while still being extremely dependent on it) but I'm keeping it going as long as I can to learn the various systems for next try. The immediate needs though are food as if all of my dupes starve then it's immediately over. I am back to using mush again for now but that's rapidly burning through the water I've been cleaning and piping in to my base from all of the polluted pools I've dug out to. It's too hot to grow anything.. easiest possible solutions seem to be hatches or mushrooms. Problem is I can't reliably farm either of those without refined metal as far as I can tell. Need suits for the workers digging slime and feeding to the mushrooms. Need incubators so I can make new hatches.

I'm at 180 cycles now.. I think my main cause of issue was not expanding far enough. I spent 100 cycles or so with only 5 dupes not doing much in the starting biome. Researched everything, but wasn't ready for life without water, no proper setup for the hydrogen my electrolyzers were creating (it's spread everywhere at the top of my base and my electrolyzers are all over the place so I can't properly gather it to use it for something).
keep in mind that planting meal lice does NOT use water. Early on, you can plant about 3-4 meal lice per dupe to avoid the musher entirely. You can use the planter box but the farm tile is more efficient with dirt and you can refill it from a floor below, which is useful for refilling farms that need to be enclosed environments.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
On to colony #3.. Think I've got it stabilized now. I went all out preserving water.. Using only algae for oxygen so far.. Food I went from meal lice, straight to frostbuns made from the ridiculous amount of wild sleet wheat growing in the cold biomes. Some omlettes mixed in from excess eggs from my hatch ranches.

Set up a proper coal power station away from my base this time so im not heating everything up.

Found a toxic air geyser, built a tunnel full of deoxidizers for it to flow down to clean it, then at the end of the tunnel pumping it through a chlorine storage box to kill the virus, then piped around a cold biome and then into my base for some nice old fashioned air conditioning. I might have to turn that off though as parts of my base are getting a little chilly!

I'm trying to excavate the map and build storage locations for everything at the moment. I've excavated quite a few of the slime biomes, collected all of the polluted water together and now im cleaning it through a sieve.. I've kept one large pool of polluted water in case i need it for something later.

Next I'm going to look in to setting up a metal refinery somewhere.. Have to work out a way of keeping it cool reliably and try not to melt all of the cold biomes in the process.

There is a frozen carbon dioxide geyser around.. not sure how to use that yet but i can probably pipe it in circles for use to cool water for the refinery.. It's pretty damn cold though and will probably freeze the water....

This game is so great... most fun game I've played in years!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Any shame in picking the standard world seed for a beginner?

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Any shame in picking the standard world seed for a beginner?

I've played this game a pretty fair amount over the past year or so. I'm still leery of "harder" difficulties.

The problem is I don't see a lot of solutions to common problems. You've got to get kcals ramping up on day 1 and you really do not have that many options on how to do it.

The change they made with wild planting pips does allow you to create some slow no-cost farms. But you've got to have that pip.

• 1Like